SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280571 - 02/02/10 01:27 PM It has to be said: Bose Compacts
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played a really big Catholilc Mardi Gras party Saturday night. There were 312 tickets sold, plus workers, so about 350 people there. It was at a Knights of Columbus Hall, a large, cavernous building, with all cement floor, high ceilings and hard surfaces everywhere. No windows.
I used two Bose Compacts and they did fine, particularly on the large dance area right in front of me.
But I have to admit by halfway through the night, I wished I had brought the big Bose L1s.
By then, I needed REALLY loud, and while the compacts made it through, I had them cranked as loud as they would go without over-driving. The input indicators went into the red now and then.
I even had an older man come up and say they were sitting in the back of the room and they could hear, but could I turn it up some.
I took a break, put on MP3s and walked to the back, and you could hear everything clearly, but I would have liked a little more room to blow people away.
Anything larger or more demanding would have been beyond the Compacts' ability.
Of course this is not what they are designed to do anyway, but I found they do have their limitations. Line dancing for hundreds of semi-inebriated revelers is pushing it!
DonM

#280572 - 02/02/10 02:11 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Very interesting Don. I only use one, and it does fine with 250 people in a smaller room than yours, but had the feeling my L1 might give me a fuller sound. Nonetheless, my compact sure is adequate for most of my venues.

#280573 - 02/02/10 02:25 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Your findings are what I was told by the Bose rep when I called them just prior to getting the compact. The rep said "Audiences to 250 are no problem with the L1 compact, but if you anticipate going above that number, I would suggest using the standard L1.

Great report Don,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#280574 - 02/02/10 04:29 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well this is essentially what I always thought (and what Bose always said) Re the Compact, although I remember at the time of (assertively, yet respectfully) saying it, I got undeservedly howled down by a few members of this Forum - well ONE especially, (where is Hammer these days anyway??)

I wish I could use the Compact, I really do. It would save me time and room, not a lot (the L1 Model 2 is still fantastically small and light compared to most other solutions that suit me) but still, gigs would be even MORE of a breeze.

Unfortunately, the gigs we do, the Venues we need to fill, the audience numbers we (generally) get, prohibit this.

Thanks for the Post (and the Honesty) Don.
Much appreciated.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#280575 - 02/02/10 05:03 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don thanks for that informative report.

#280576 - 02/02/10 06:33 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I would think room size would have more to with it than number of people. Right?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#280577 - 02/02/10 07:16 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks for that report Don. I'm happy I kept my L1 for those bigger venues. Did you use the M-10DX?
Ciao,
Jerry

#280578 - 02/02/10 08:04 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Along with being a FABULOUS performer, Don is as HONEST as the day is long ...
thnx,
Don ...
t.

#280579 - 02/02/10 08:29 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I just wish that more attention, by buyers AND manufacturers, was payed to the ONLY spec that really matters... SPL at a particular THD amount.

HOW loud does it get BEFORE you hear any distortion...

250 seniors don't need what 250 kids do, and no amount of hype from a manufacturer replaces TRUE specs...

#280580 - 02/02/10 10:18 PM Re: It has to be said: Bose Compacts
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Thanks for that report Don. I'm happy I kept my L1 for those bigger venues. Did you use the M-10DX?
Ciao,
Jerry

No, I used my Peavey. I'm more familiar with it and I had a wired mic, a wireless mic, and a CD player to hook up. The theme was Cowboy/Cowgirl this year, and there was a square dance demonstration and they had their music on a CD. My little laptop doesn't have a CD drive. Also, the reigning King took the wireless mic all over the building.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online