SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#280427 - 02/04/10 06:20 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Another approach......if economics demands that you gig as an OMB, just 'jam' with some of your musician friends in your off time (most musicians have plenty of that). Keeps you in the loop, musically 'fresh', and provides a social outlet. If I remember correctly, Ian does this, and he's alright (mostly).

chas

#280428 - 02/04/10 06:22 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I speak for myself, but feel many would prefer to play with other humans if the circumstances and economics were different.

]

I agree, Cassp, playing with others is a good thing, and I regularly jam with several others, but they just want to play for fun.

Living in a small town also restricts your options of sidemen, the venues aren't as plentiful, or the jobs don't, or won't, pay enough for a duo, trio or whatever to make a decent living.

Conversely, there also some people who can't or won't play solo, because they lack the talent and/or self confidence to go it alone on a job.

I don't think solo acts should be criticized for their choice of playing alone, especially when the reasons behind their decision aren't known.

Ian

#280429 - 02/04/10 09:33 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You folks need to meet Chas in person someday.
Heck, if I was a little younger, I'd try to get him to adopt ME!

A warmer, smarter, nicer guy you'll never meet.

I can also relate to having too much "stuff". The one thing that bothers Chas is my gun collection. Actually, it was inherited, in large part, from my father. Over the years, I added to it; mainly high-end pieces bought solely for the craftsmanship involved. I haven't shot a gun since I sold my farm in 2000. I had a back-yard range there and enjoyed weekly pistol practice.

Last week, I took over 70 pieces to a local broker/friend, who is going to liquidate them. So far this week, he's sold nearly $12,000.00. All proceeds are going to Hatian relief.

I'm also looking over my instrument collection, and may begin to liquidate some of the items that I will never play again.

Russ

#280430 - 02/04/10 11:35 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I appreciate Russ's kind words but I have to say this about guns. I come from a family of hunters, all of whom owned guns. I have no problem with responsible people owning guns. Russ is obviously one of those people as, if what happened to him had happened to (most of) us, that gun collection of his would have been put to good use and in short order . For me, I can say that in all my years (except for the military), I have never needed one for protection or self-defense; that's pretty good for a "jerk".

If I were king, would I ban guns. Probably not, but I would ban showing up at a political rally armed to the teeth with automatic and semi-automatic weapons (can someone explain to me the need to do that?). Guns for legitimate hunters, no problem; guns for collectors, no problem; guns for sport target shooting, no problem; guns in case someone looks at me cross-eyed, big problem. I don't expect everyone to agree with my point of view, and that's okay; this IS America. But I'm not convinced that "the right to bear arms" has the same meaning and intent when it was written as the way it is currently being interpreted. JMO, of course.

chas

#280431 - 02/04/10 11:50 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
But I'm not convinced that "the right to bear arms" has the same meaning and intent when it was written as the way it is currently being interpreted. JMO, of course.

chas

[/B]

Tis very Off Topic...sorry.

Here in the UK not even the police carry guns. (Although they do have armed divisions to handle certain problems or for those who operate in high risk terrorist hotspots.)

Because the Police don't carry guns (just rubbery sticks), most of the criminals do not feel the need to. Its a system that seems to have worked for the most part.

I can't think of a way to make this post on topic..except maybe to mention the Teleview system

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 02-04-2010).]

#280432 - 02/04/10 12:09 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Actually, my recent incident is part of the reason I decided to sell my guns. There was a break-in. I had a Tarus "Judge", a revolver that shot 410 buckshot in a drawer at my right hand.

I came close to using it, and would not have been able to live myself if I had killed the kid. I agree with Chas.

As it stands, I hurt him pretty bad and feel terrible about it.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 02-04-2010).]

#280433 - 02/04/10 12:32 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Russ, if you had shot him, he wouldn't be suing you now.
A man intrudes in your business, armed, late at night, tries to rob you. You defend yourself, being severely wounded, probably for life, in the process. Then he sues you for hurting him. And you still feel sorry for him. Only in America!
God Bless you my friend, you are a way bigger person than I am!
DonM

#280434 - 02/04/10 01:20 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Then he sues you for hurting him. And you still feel sorry for him. Only in America!

DonM

Over here if you hurt someone whilst defending yourself during a break in it can be seen as more than "reasonable force" and therefore a criminal offence. You could end up being the one with a record and behind bars. If you were to use a gun you would almost certainy end up serving some time.

I think you are doing the right thing getting rid of your weapons. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed someone with my car by accident, let alone pulling a trigger on them.

#280435 - 02/04/10 01:48 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just to get back to my original hijack ( ), and to reply to Ian's post about drunks and reprobates, yes, I understand your point about that, but is it really so clearly defined? Are other 'good' musicians ALL either non-functioning drunks or arranger players?

This forum would have it that way, I am afraid.

#280436 - 02/04/10 01:56 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Are other 'good' musicians ALL either non-functioning drunks or arranger players?

I don't know the answer, Diki....you play arranger, so you tell me.

Most of my playing experiences have been great, just a few bozos, but presently I don't have a selection of players to choose from...most have retired.

I'm comfortable working alone...it has it's advantages.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-04-2010).]

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online