Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#280417 - 02/03/10 10:34 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, I thought your cherried B3 was ear marked for Chas..

President Obama is trying to do away with earmarks and as a good citizen, I'm trying to comply. Actually, since you're on my 'need to know' list, Fran, my daughter had some economic downturns (as in, lost her job) and unfortunately for me, the cost of her economic rescue was/is about $100k. That's like my 'discretionary' budget for the next millenium. Sadly, family comes before B3's. Hope this answers your question.

chas

#280418 - 02/03/10 10:51 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
my daughter had some economic downturns (as in, lost her job) and unfortunately for me, the cost of her economic rescue was/is about $100k. That's like my 'discretionary' budget for the next millenium. Sadly, family comes before B3's. Hope this answers your question.

chas

Good thing for your daughter you were able to bail her out.

Some of us have no family to rely on for support, and, you're right Chas...family does come ahead of everything,.

Best thing is that the C1 is just about indistinguishable from a B-3, especially on a recording, so a B-3 is not really a necessity...just a nice dream.

You're a good dad, Chas.

Ian

#280419 - 02/03/10 03:37 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
You're a good dad, Chas.

Not that good, Ian. 'She has a very good MOM' would be closer to the truth. I've reached a point in my life where 'stuff' is becoming less important to me. My days of buying airplanes and big diesel motorhomes are over. I've discovered that the less I have, the less I have to worry about. It's a nice feeling. I'm just grateful to have reached this age and still be in a position to help.

chas

#280420 - 02/03/10 03:52 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Not that good, Ian. 'She has a very good MOM' would be closer to the truth. I've reached a point in my life where 'stuff' is becoming less important to me. My days of buying airplanes and big diesel motorhomes are over. I've discovered that the less I have, the less I have to worry about. It's a nice feeling. I'm just grateful to have reached this age and still be in a position to help.

chas

That's a good thing Chas...lucky you were in the position to help...lots of people have no one to turn to.

I feel the same way about "things"...biggest splurge for me was this new PC, and only because it was necessary.

I used to be into antique cars, and gave it up...sold my old Cadillac some time ago.

Right now I'm happy (more like content) with a middle line keyboard...never thought that would happen...really don't need much else.

Don't miss the bars and clubs either.

Gettin' older, but needin' less...nothing wrong with that.

Ian

#280421 - 02/03/10 05:03 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Chas, I'm back here after a long time off, and you have once again made it worthwhile with your wisdom, as you were one of those whose posts used to have the most to say to me. thanks. And Bill from NJ, thanks for the Bobby Forrester tidbit. He was a great player, but he always was bitter he never got more recognition. He thought it was because he was white, but then when Joey D skyrocketed to fame, that really threw him for a loop.

One of the highlights of my career was playing tenor sax with the Jimmy Smith Trio
(Phil Upchurch, Frank Smith) at the Clearwater Jazz Festival in 1998. I was there playing with Johnny Conga's band from Miami, and Jimmy's tenor man Bill Easley had to cancel, so i got the gig. Jimmy was a miserable sonofabitch but getting to play with him overrode all that.

------------------
Miami Mo

#280422 - 02/03/10 08:17 PM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cgiles Offline

Mo, it's good to see you back and posting. I can't believe we've got three, count 'em, THREE jazz sax players on this forum (Brickboo, Randy, and you). Wow, with Diki on 'bone, Russ on Upright bass, Rory on guitar (or whatever else we need), and maybe TonyMads to put some old skool jazz vocals on top......heck, let the games begin. We'll meet you in Miami, let the ladies know we're coming.

chas

chas

#280423 - 02/04/10 12:23 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Jimmy was a miserable sonofabitch but getting to play with him overrode all that.
[/B]

Lol! Jimmy played at the Jazz Cafe and had a cold about the time you worked with him, he was very grumpy that noght. Myself and a colleague spent quite some time with him before and after the show as we had been photgraphing some of the leading Hammond players for my website. My colleague took these: http://www.hammond-organ.com/Artist/html/jsmith.htm

About half an hour into the night he grumbled and swore about his cold and disappeared for ages. The thing is, at that time everyone was so happy to have a chance to see him perform they didn't mind.

My colleage Mark gave him a set of the photos at a later date which he liked.

The photos look great on the wall if you guys havn't seen them before:
http://www.hammond-organ.com/Artist/html/artist_gallery.htm

TWD

#280424 - 02/04/10 02:18 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
We get so many comments about working OMB because some of us can't stand the shenanigans that other musicians (never US, eh? ) get up to, but here is the perfect example of someone WORTH the hassle...

Sure, in this case it's a legend, but in all fairness, most of us probably know some players that might not be choirboys but can play CIRCLES around any darn arranger (and tastefully, too, before anyone starts dissing competency ), and I'm tempted to ask those confirmed OMB at all cost players...

You ever played with those kind of guys? You REALLY prefer being solo and playing with a machine?

#280425 - 02/04/10 05:14 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
We get so many comments about working OMB because some of us can't stand the shenanigans that other musicians (never US, eh? ) get up to, but here is the perfect example of someone WORTH the hassle...
most of us probably know some players that might not be choirboys but can play CIRCLES around any darn arranger (and tastefully, too, before anyone starts dissing competency ), and I'm tempted to ask those confirmed OMB at all cost players...

Just curious my friend, but would you play in a duo or trio where one of the members, who was a good player, constantly showed up late, drunk, missed gigs, played only what they wanted to play or did all or most of these things?

In other words, if Chris, your partner, without which you'd be a solo act, with no vocals, did any of the above, would you work with him?

Working with someone who's cranky or has a personality dis-order is not a problem, but the above examples are not something most players would put up with more than once, no matter how "good" the person.

Not everyone has the luxury of available and dependable sidemen.

That's why many go solo...it's certainly not an anti-social thing, nor does it mean they aren't skilled players.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-04-2010).]

#280426 - 02/04/10 05:58 AM Re: I just bought a B-3 and two Leslies
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I would like to add that booking a solo is a lot easier than booking a duo, especially if you have identified a market such as heath care facilities. It's tight this year to maintain prices, let alone try to sell a duo at an even higher price.

I speak for myself, but feel many would prefer to play with other humans if the circumstances and economics were different.

And lastly, it seems a good number of us are established in our lifestyles and prefer not deal with many of the inherent hassles of playing in a group or in public venues, as many have done in past "lives".

JMHO ,
Cass

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-04-2010).]

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online