SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280246 - 01/28/10 06:00 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'm actually disappointed. The hype this thing has been getting and the 3D renders looked fantastic, but the actual device is very disappointing.

So basically it's just a big ass Apple iTouch which still doesn't have any multitasking ability, no flash, will only run apps from the store apps and worst of all, no camera in sight for video calling over skpye or other systems like that.

Regards
James

#280247 - 01/28/10 07:44 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Actually the screen at 9.7 inches is significantly smaller than the musicpad which is 12.

#280248 - 01/28/10 09:21 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
but there is no other product that I have seen that offers two full pages of electronic display.

Beakybird

How about a net book ($299), a 21" monitor ($120), and a pdf viewer (0$)?

Also the digital frames are increasing in size and coming down in price.

Regards,

Jerry

#280249 - 01/28/10 10:01 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm with James. I don't see any value in this.., and I think they're overpriced for what they "don't have" when compared to netbooks that sell for much less.

What I also find shocking is the capacity sizes for the models. They're what.., 16GB/32GB/64GB. This new iPad is nothing more than a large iPod Touch.

You can buy an HP netbook at Walmart with a 1.66ghz proc., 1 gig ram, 10.1" monitor (wide screen), 160gig hard-drive, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Integrated web cam, 5 in 1 digital media reader, all for less than $300.

I've got the 3rd generation iPod touch.., and I don't see anything on this new iPad that would make me want it over my iPod.., nor anything on it that would drive me to choose it over a netbook.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-28-2010).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#280250 - 01/28/10 10:16 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
oops (double post)

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-28-2010).]

#280251 - 01/28/10 10:20 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Initial speculative rumor was that the Apple iPad might include an OLED Display. No such luck. Hopefully the 2nd gen IPad will.

That said, I'm interested in a comparison between these 3 emerging new screen display technologies:

1) Electronic Ink (E Ink) : ie: Amazon Kindle
2) OLED display ie: Motorola Droid & Google Nexus One cellphones
3) Super Twist Display (Tyros3?)

Which of these new display types deliver the best outdoor (in sunlight) viewability, and the widest viewing angle?

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-28-2010).]

#280252 - 01/28/10 11:48 AM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Tonewheeldude Offline

here is another that uses a plastic screen:

http://www.plasticlogic.com/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8446959.stm

TWD

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 01-28-2010).]

#280253 - 01/28/10 02:51 PM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing is, it's the APPS which will drive this thing's popularity...

When the iPhone first came out, I was aghast at how expensive it was for how little it did. But then after a few years of developers coming up with REALLY useful apps, it's now a must have piece of technology for many.

Wait and see. Firstly, for the iSight camera to be added, then to see what clever people can think of to make it do... Jobs redefined what we expect a phone to do for us. I would be very surprised if this device doesn't redefine what we expect a super slim, super sexy 1.5 lbs. tablet can do, too...

#280254 - 01/28/10 05:50 PM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Yes it probably will improve generation by generation.

I'm thinking Apple (obviously, quite deliberately) didn't include any sort of Camera, so as to not steal potential sales away from their Macbooks - or hell, even their iMacs.

It seems to me, at that relatively low price point, if they added in Webcam/Video recording functionality (something that would extend to Skype and other apps) many people would be tempted to buy - an admittedly higher spec - version of this thing, and NOT the aforementioned Macbooks for instance.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#280255 - 01/28/10 06:04 PM Re: iPad! : Apple's LATEST Device officially announced TODAY!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They've got cameras in iPhones, and video cameras in iPod Nano's... I don't think Apple is too worried about losing sales on their home/office computer lines by including these on smaller, cheaper products.

It will come... I'm already seeing the lack of a video camera as one of the #1 things that Mac forums and websites are criticizing it for.

And, to repeat, NO Apple product has ever been great at launch. They are always more the product you actually NEED by 2G or 3G versions....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online