SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279920 - 01/23/10 02:44 PM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yes Korg also have articulation they call it DNC. Both Yamaha and Korg keyboards has pros and cons. Korg has better drum, bass and synth sounds while Yamaha has better woodwind sounds but this is all personal.

That is expensive for a Korg PA800. I can get one here in the Netherlands for 1900 Euro. The price of the PSR s910 is around 1800 Euro but at some places the Yamaha is already dropped to 1650 Euro.

MJ ditto to what Fran's has stated. I have a tendency to use the Pa2xPro at cocktail hours and the Yamaha at the senior gigs. They are both great keyboards but in different ways. It's very a personal choice. One real plus for Yamaha is that there are plenty of 3rd party styles available for their arranger series. Check out psrtutorial.com Lots of good info there.

#279921 - 01/25/10 03:00 AM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The main difference between DNC and SA is that DNC came out AFTER the PA2X was released (an OS update), so there aren't any samples in the PA2X designed SPECIFICALLY to leverage the new capabilities, unlike Yamaha, who have SA specific samples designed especially to work well with SA and SA2.

I am disappointed that, with Korg GIVING AWAY quite large sample libraries with the M3, high quality Oasys based stuff, that they haven't yet come out with some specific sampler loads to leverage DNC yet. It seems such a waste to have the capability, but not the content to show it off. Especially given that, unlike Yamaha, you CAN edit and create new DNC content and use the sampler to load it in...

How long has DNC been out now? It's over a year, isn't it? What is taking Korg so long? Make DNC sounds as good as the SA2 ones, and the Tyros3 has some SERIOUS competition.... Until they do, it's DNC... whatever!

#279922 - 01/25/10 08:15 AM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
People in the Middle East (see youtube) only buy Korg. So I think the Tyros 3 already has serious competition

#279923 - 01/25/10 08:39 AM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nothing wrong with competition...it always benefits the user.

The Tyros4 will no doubt raise the bar again, as did the PSR-S910.

Competition is always welcome.

#279924 - 01/25/10 09:43 AM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
..... The Tyros4 will no doubt raise the bar again....

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's wrong with "The Ultimate Wondermachine" Tyros3 if there is any
need for a Tyros4 to "rise the bar" again ?

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#279925 - 01/25/10 09:47 AM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's wrong with "The Ultimate Wondermachine" Tyros3 if there is any
need for a Tyros4 to "rise the bar" again ?

Cheers
GJ

Well Jonny, you know there's always room for new features, sounds, etc.

We said the same thing about the T1 and T2, and Yamaha managed to find some more goodies for the T3.

Ian

#279926 - 01/25/10 02:40 PM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
People in the Middle East (see youtube) only buy Korg. So I think the Tyros 3 already has serious competition

Mid east /east Euros use Korgs/used to be Roland, and Solton(ketrons) in general.Why?
sample loading and user styles written by local dealers/sharing.

Yamaha however rules in Anglo and asian world(where more pop , western covers than ethnic music is played).I'm talikng about Malaysia, Indonesia,Japan, Fillipines etc (not China(newly)India where they use more ethnic sounds/styles like mid east). Mostly where 4/4 straight pop or rock oldie standards.Add that to biggest 3 rd party styles on the planet.

#279927 - 01/25/10 04:56 PM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
Mid east /east Euros use Korgs/used to be Roland, and Solton(ketrons) in general.Why?
sample loading and user styles written by local dealers/sharing.

If that was the reason they also can buy a Tyros 3 who also can load samples and user styles. No the main reason is the superior drum and bass sounds on the Korgs. The total sound of a Korg PA is much thicker and sound more live then a Yamaha and is ideal for oriental music. You can ask them yourself.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 01-25-2010).]

#279928 - 01/25/10 05:50 PM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
ianmcnll Offline

I'm willing to bet Yamaha sells more arrangers overall than Korg PA series, when you include the PSR and CVP lines along with the Tyros.

Tastes differ...some like the Yamaha sound, some like Korg, some like Roland...and some like it in the pot nine days old.

Ian

#279929 - 01/25/10 11:32 PM Re: PSR-S910 2 weeks reviews, Good & Bad (lot or Rant)
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
If that was the reason they also can buy a Tyros 3 who also can load samples and user styles. No the main reason is the superior drum and bass sounds on the Korgs. The total sound of a Korg PA is much thicker and sound more live then a Yamaha and is ideal for oriental music. You can ask them yourself.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 01-25-2010).]

Korg sounds /hardware are ofcourse better, workstation quality with full editing.Not to mention better VH.I don't have to ask any body beacuse I 've been there and also played both types of music for more than two decades.Tyros with sample loading can still underperform even an old PA 50 sound and punchiness wise in general.

But where does Yamaha shines?
Better user interface(thay put more money on screen than keys, no double button pressing like Korg to go to style/sound choice)
Yamaha style programming and fills/SMF and style sync/ Styles that fits most songs

Korg other wise in general more has recognizable intros/brass attacks/busy fills (taking directly from famous songs ) and also fills are less in number in Korg than both Yammy and Roland.

If you do sequencing, SMF playback as your main act (just overdub playing over a seq's track) Korg is better because it's more a playback machine.

Yamaha shines in using the arranger to record current 4/4 hits without in your face repeated intros and fills. Sequencer in no where close to Korg or Roland (it's just a song recorder) , but for the western musician who need the most current arranger playable 4/4 songs, without having to worry about unbalanced fills(muting tracks and unmuting tracks during fills), The bottom line , if your work is mostly arranger live play, unfortunately Yammy is the only choice we have because competition doesn't want to listen.

This issue has been discussed alot.
Read my following posts, even though we have new models, 90% of the rule still continues. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/008710.html

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/012806.html http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/013462.html " TARGET=_blank>http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009086.html http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/013462 .html

Remember as you know Pa2x has Pads that play loops (Yammy has been doing that before PSR2000, It was a OS update in PA 1x, PA80,50 couldn't do that).New PA series also have song book which Yammy lacks.

Most Yammy sounds are thin, yes.
(I'm talking about XG backed style dept, not Mega Gtrs or SA saxes).

Most Korg styles are not as useful as Yammy for US/UK/ or their music players all over the world, yes.
(I'm not taling about contemp or rap styles wasted in Korg than techno or Ibiza styles , where Yamaha does decently in those.Listen to Pa2xs dance/latin styles and 910s .Sing along with them,Imagine requests that need instant arranger play, the choice will be pretty clear, if you are a singer who wants to use an ARRANGER STYLES for most live play, Yammy is the choice (too bad that VH is not as good).

How idiotic is to put a 70's disco style with Billy Jean bass line for the whole song? Latin Rock style is a copy of Santana's smooth with same brass falls /fills.How many time can you play smooth but not Blk magic woman? PA 80's styles and I3 format continues. (great sounds/ not so useful styles).

Yamaha excels in Ac gtr/ Bass/ Drum simple strum combo types with not too in your face fills which is ideal for most mod tempo/sing along music.You'll be using the same style(intentionally generic) in a few songs without the audience starts to notice it.Not so with Korg whrere background signature lick/ in your face fills will make you to hesitate from triggering it agian.It will fit just one song perfecly but just one in most cases.

Yammy will always outsell both Korg and Roland and getaway with cheap hardware because they did and are doing RIGHT in style and on the fly OS department.At the end of the day if you need instant song creation for current hits (western music 4/4 types, not 9/8 mid east stuff), to save time people will buy MOTL yammy arranger like 910.
(and add that to cheaper but more powerful KORG workstaions like $800 Triton Xtremes which will sound better in a seq'd track than Pa2x in any given day).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-26-2010).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online