SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279454 - 01/18/10 08:54 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Thinking about what Trident said...what if there was a memory (not a recording) contained within the style of the basic chord structure?

Wouldn't that mean that you would have to prepare each different song beforehand and save the same style for every differnet song? Kinda like a midi file. YOu already have that capability.

With what I propose, (now if it is feasible or not is another matter, but no technical problem remains unsolved) you would have complete control of the "next chord", on the fly, and some nights, you could play tha same song but substituting some chords, just for variety.

#279455 - 01/18/10 12:14 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Want #1:

Roland: PLEASE UPDATE your arranger chord voicing recognition table to include the following, of which Yamaha, Korg, Ketron and Technics already include:

II-V7-I Smooth Jazz Chord Progression Voicings (in ALL keys) as follow:

LEFT HAND:

Dm7(9): F1 - C2 - E2
G7(13): F1 - B1 - E2
C69: E1 - A1 - D2

C7(9): E1 - Bb1 - D2

F13 (2 handed Chord Voicing):
LH: (Eb1 - A1 - D2) + RH: (G2 - C3 - F3)

All above chord voicings need to be added in 'all 12 keys' of course.

Want #2: Roland: Please bring back the terrific CHORD SEQUENCER that you had in the G70/RA800. I found that feature VERY VERY useful. Hope Yamaha, Ketron, and Korg will consider adding this valuable feature on their arrangers as well.

Scott

#279456 - 01/18/10 12:55 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think we're getting away from reality here, just a hair! For Pete's sake! That Wersi is about $10,000...!

And PLEASE! An arranger that anticipates what the next chord is before you play it? The new Yamaha Kreskin? I am a real human (technically ) and even I can't tell what the next chord is going to be before someone plays it unless I already know the tune, AND the substitutions the player is going to use this time round, AND the form he is using this time (real players don't always play things identically each time)...

However, were Roland (or anyone, I don't care who) to return the Chord Sequencer (don't get it confused with something you put the changes in in advance, it worked on the fly), there IS a possibility for the chord sequence to be analyzed once the 'Play' button is hit, and at THAT point (the second time through the changes) the arranger could introduce voice leading and anticipatory walks, etc..

We've got to try and understand the difference between science, and science fiction, folks..! Don't give up your day job for that house gig on Pandora

Oh, and chas.... come to the Roland-arranger forum some time (and especially the old forum, now sadly offline) and you would see a LONG list of Roland users bemoan the loss of the Chord Sequencer. It's kind of like that sampler in your PA1X. Not that many people used it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a REALLY useful feature to those that do, and if Korg had dropped it for the PA2X, just because only the people that had used it would howl makes it no less vital a feature. I mean, do you REALLY want arranger manufacturers to strip their products down to what only the majority actually USE? Take a look at the low end... THAT'S what would be left!

I agree that perfecting some of the features that exist in our current arrangers should be first and foremost for the manufacturers' R&D teams, and a LOT of what's posted here is kind of that, but all in all I'm surprised at how little much of us want IS actually, firstly, not on another existing arranger, then secondly, withing the laws of physics!

You know what I would MOST like, to be honest (other than the bloody CS!)...?

I'd like to see bombproof copy protection for styles. Secure delivery, watermarked, serial# keyed, uncrackable copy protection for styles. THEN, all the talented people that make those killer ROM styles for each new arranger would be able to make a living keeping doing it in between model releases, secure in the knowledge that they won't get ripped off. Have you ever wondered WHY great styles are so unavailable except when a new model comes out? That's why... plain and simple.

Take theft out of the equation, they could sell them at a fraction of the price of current high quality styles and make tons MORE than they do now... And, let's be honest, many of us buy a new arranger primarily for the styles (OK maybe a new sound or two) but a never ending supply of great, ROM quality styles would keep most of us away from wishlists like this!

Sometimes, it's the LITTLE things that matter most...

#279457 - 01/18/10 01:56 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Oh, and chas.... It's kind of like that sampler in your PA1X. ...

WHAT!!!!!!!!! You mean my PA1X has a SAMPLER? Are you sure? Next you'll be telling me it has an on-board harmonizer, too. OMG, I'm going down to my studio and check it out right now. Oh well, I've only had the darn thing @ three years. It takes time to check out all those features. Thanks for the heads-up. Now if only it had 1 finger chord recognition; heck, I wouldn't even have to learn to play the darn thing. Oh well, maybe on the next model. I'm making a promise to myself to read the manual on that one.

chas

PS: Scottyee checked in with the chord sequencer thing, as well; so now you're up to THREE people .

#279458 - 01/18/10 04:01 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Tying the sounds to an specific arranger is little problem, (Wersi has been doing it since OAS came out and Yamaha are now doing it with Tyros 3, (Not sure if the S710/910 incorporates it) so there is no reason why this couldn’t be applied to styles.

Bill

#279459 - 01/18/10 04:08 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I'd like to see bombproof copy protection for styles. Secure delivery, watermarked, serial# keyed, uncrackable copy protection for styles. THEN, all the talented people that make those killer ROM styles for each new arranger would be able to make a living keeping doing it in between model releases, secure in the knowledge that they won't get ripped off. Have you ever wondered WHY great styles are so unavailable except when a new model comes out? That's why... plain and simple.

Take theft out of the equation, they could sell them at a fraction of the price of current high quality styles and make tons MORE than they do now... And, let's be honest, many of us buy a new arranger primarily for the styles (OK maybe a new sound or two) but a never ending supply of great, ROM quality styles would keep most of us away from wishlists like this!

Sometimes, it's the LITTLE things that matter most...

Right on, Diki...that's the only way they'll ever do the style thing successfully.

Ian

#279460 - 01/18/10 10:48 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Right on, Diki...that's the only way they'll ever do the style thing successfully.

Ian

I don’t think Yamaha would be happy with you agreeing with such an idea.

What would be the basis for Yamaha being able to sell incremental upgrades to a keyboard?

If you put economic power in the hands of styles makers, then the manufacturers would have to have another reason to sell a keyboard other than styles.

It is nothing personal against professional style makers, its just business.

For example, if a style maker makes great styles for the T2 and they are copy proof, the style maker would just continue to make great style for the T2.
Now, when the manufacturer want to release a T3, they would have to have a lot more than new styles to sell the T3. Because, the customer would stay with the T2 if they know they can get great styles.

And, if you say that is B/S, then what would be the advantage to limiting the styles available to arranger users? After all, that is the selling point for Yamaha arrangers is that you can use styles from other keyboards for free.

And the selling point for a new arranger from Yamaha is new styles.

#279461 - 01/18/10 11:11 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Diki Offline

Finally, people would buy new arrangers completely for the new features, and the new sounds. And Yamaha would speed up its' incremental policy of development. The WS crowd EXPECT innovation and groundbreaking new technology, each model increase. And don't buy one until there IS. It's only arranger players that are lazy or dumb enough to buy a brand new model for maybe 20 new styles and a couple of sounds.

Somehow, Yamaha manage (along with all the other WS manufacturers) to make a living without such a bullsh*t 'upgrade' policy. Each new WS model has brand new features and sounds (in addition to the legacy sounds).

Why ARE so many of us clamoring for what is new? Because arranger development has essentially stagnated, as new models really only add new styles. The more forward thinking of them are leaving arrangers for WS's that at least TRY to make a token effort at innovation. That isn't good for the form, I believe. Many are howling for a new model when they have had their current one for less than a year. The manufacturers need to make something that TRULY satisfies the user, and let the style makers make a living...

#279462 - 01/19/10 01:21 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm glad Yamaha made the S910...it is absolutely perfect for my needs.

Great little board, and updated incrementally perfectly from the S900.

They could leave things the way they are, and I'd be happy.

Ian

#279463 - 01/19/10 01:37 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Diki Offline

You and I are hardly representative here, though

Perfectly happy with what we have...

Thing is, I GUARANTEE you will get the next incremental PSR, no matter HOW happy you are with the S910. You were (at least publicly) equally happy with the S900, and said virtually the same exact things while you had that, too!

Me, I'm looking for 'revolutionary', not incremental. I waited through three or four Roland new models before one came out that sufficiently beat my G1000 as to make it worth while to upgrade. So, by my reckoning, even if Roland WERE on the same upgrade schedule that everyone else tries, I've got another five or more years before I would have probably been tempted.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if ALL the manufacturers just 'froze' things where they are for a while. Maybe we would get back to obsessing about MUSIC instead of equipment, again!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online