SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279444 - 01/16/10 01:59 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
the addition of some sort of a universal style & sound format that would allow any keyboard to load the same basic set of bread n' butter styles Factory & User. Still have it's own fancier mega sound styles or audio loop styles in it's native format.
Just means that when changing keyboards these styles will play back perfectly whether it be on yamaha, ketron, whatever.

Bit like what GM did for the song file.

best wishes
Rikki

Hi Rikki
I have said this before, and to prove it works, you only have to look at the PA 800 styles you posted/created which were balanced for GM2, and which users have found to work almost spot on when converted to other keyboards.

Bill

#279445 - 01/16/10 02:21 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hands/feet free style & setting changes...

Find a way through the use of cutting edge optics technology or something where you just have to look at the option you want to change and you're enabled with the ability to do so without using either your hands or feet...

There's a technology that severely disabled people use...perhaps that's what I'm thinking of.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#279446 - 01/16/10 03:30 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
my intial aim in trying to use GM2 sounds where practicable, was so that, should I decide to change keyboards down the track, less hassles if I do need to convert to another style format. Don't want to lose some of them.
Didn't expect them to convert quite as well as they appear to have done.
Unfortunately CONVERSION software still plays a part. EMC does still do some odd things. The thing that annoys me the most is the apparent removal of multiple tempo changes in intro'/endings. This messes some of the lovely intro's & endings up.

I suppose if I needed to choose a universal style format for user friendly styles , it would be Yamaha's, because it's pc friendly.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Rikki
I have said this before, and to prove it works, you only have to look at the PA 800 styles you posted/created which were balanced for GM2, and which users have found to work almost spot on when converted to other keyboards.

Bill

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#279447 - 01/16/10 07:21 PM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I want one that will drag itself through 10 inches of snow into the gig. I want it to set itself up and when it has done that I would like it to bring me a beer. I can't get my wife to do any of that either.

Tom

Tom

#279448 - 01/17/10 12:01 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
to the genesys Offline

I want there to be a separation of the style sounds from the left/right hand sounds.

So that there are sounds for the master keyboard that we can use for live playing.
The sounds for styles are in a separate place.
With that, You can have for example, a set of 200 sounds that would only be used for styles. Now the manufacturer can commission style programmers to create hundreds of styles for that sound set. Then you sell the sound and style pack separate from the master keyboard maybe as a software download or an expansion card.

So take the G70 for example. I think it has 2 expansion slots?
On one expansion card, you would have a set of sounds that are used exclusively with those styles on that card.

And, if all brands were to have this feature, you could interchange the cards between keyboards.

It is kind of like all stereo sets are different (they have different eq and play back settings) but they can all play CDs.

#279449 - 01/17/10 01:11 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
all i require is a DVD and hard copy manual for each and every arranger or synth produced going forward.

The DVD should be divided into 3 segments

1. Getting started , basic funtions and features how they work
2. Sound and style and song creation with in depth demos of editing, changing , routing and editing effects.
3. Advanced user with tips and tricks to achieve quicker results for both home/studio play and live play.

If the DVD is good enough i would pay extra for it.

#279450 - 01/17/10 02:40 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
Nice idea, but manufactures what you to upgrade to their latest model so that they can continue with their bonuses, if they showed how you could get virtually the same results with your existing board, their bosses would soon put them out to pasture.

A Paper manual is good, but is expensive and doesn’t do the planet much good, however with the prices of E-Readers dropping a PDF file is all that would be needed. (This thread might interest you http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/020687.html )

Bill

#279451 - 01/18/10 03:48 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I am not really qualified to talk on behalf of the pros here, who make a living out of their instruments,

but,

what I have found out listening to all of you is that it is not the sounds themselves, it is the player who plays (controls) the sounds.

I think that what you should demand is a new instrument with the same quality sounds as found in PSR 910 and above, which is satisfactory enough for most of you sonically, but with enough logic behind the style department to assist and compliment the player of the lead sounds.

Sure, a real sounding guitar backing is nice to have, but a way to add even more control of the style backing would be the way to go.

Some people here have said that it would be nice for the arranger to know in advance what the next chord would be, so the bass would "walk" its way there, much like a real bass player would do. Of course if you had the capability to "announce" to the system what the next chord would be, the bass would not be the only instrument affected, guitar parts might also follow, for a more realistic "real band" effect.

My theory is that this "bass player plays a path to the next chord" thing does not happen all the time. Many songs have such chord changes in the beginning of each bar.

So a way to do that would be to have a second set of keys, say only 1 1/2 octave long, on the left hand, above the main chord recognition region on the left of the main manual.

This second set of keys would exist for the occasions where you would like to "announce" the next chord, early in the previous bar, so the "rest of the band" would use the remaining bar time to perform the necessary steps towards the next chord change which would be the one you previously announced.

Of course this "second set of keys" could also be a second 25 key small midi keyboard, attachet to the G 80 or the Tyros 4 via midi.

Couldn't that work?

#279452 - 01/18/10 05:14 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Thinking about what Trident said...what if there was a memory (not a recording) contained within the style of the basic chord structure?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#279453 - 01/18/10 08:17 AM Re: What DO we want 'next'?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
How about some audiences who appreciate real music?

Bill

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online