SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279299 - 01/16/10 09:10 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Amen...

Might as well worry what a book tastes like, or how a painting smells, or whether a dancer can spell

Some things just don't matter... some things do

#279300 - 01/16/10 09:49 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Some things just don't matter... some things do

But those "things" are different for different people. Because it applies to YOU doesn't mean it applies to everyone else in the world. That's what makes us all different (and viva la difference).

JMO .

chas

#279301 - 01/16/10 10:09 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
Diki Offline

I completely agree, chas, don't get me wrong.

But when we are talking about an entire market segment, not just one person's individual preferences, the evidence ought to be taken into account, IMO.

It appears, despite SOME peoples' reservations, that the word Casio on a pro keyboard is not the detriment you might feel.

I mean, some people (no names, no pack drill ) have grave reservations about Obama as President. But the majority voted for him. Should the majority view be discounted, just because some don't agree? (and don't get me started on the teabaggers and health care!)

Thing is, if Casio come out with a killer arranger product, and you choose to not buy it based solely on negative feelings about the name, who will be missing out? You, or Casio? I think you, because the Privia has already shown, there will be PLENTY of pros willing to overlook the stigma (assumed or otherwise) of the name. But that is definitely your choice, no objections whatsoever.

Me, I'll play it, even if it has the word W*NKER on the front panel

#279302 - 01/16/10 10:54 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
First, Diki I will report on a Yamaha I saw in a back room with 76 and 88 lightweight piano graded keys......
But for Casio, I met with Mike Martin and Jim Presely at the Casio booth yesterday afternoon and I can assure you they are a team for this decade. If the corporate powers that be will give these guys the reigns we should see great things in the future.
I am going to post my NAMM experience in a new thread.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#279303 - 01/16/10 10:59 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
Diki Offline

A full PSR with a 76 or 88? SA, Megavoices, multipads, the works?

Say it ain't so!

#279304 - 01/16/10 11:09 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
A full PSR with a 76 or 88? SA, Megavoices, multipads, the works?

Say it ain't so!

Stranger things have happened.

#279305 - 01/16/10 11:21 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
From what I gather, it's the guys at Yamaha UK that have a LOT more influence on how the Tyros and PSR's get voiced and feature priorities, so purloining a few Yamaha guys from the US might not have as big an influence as you might hope.

Yamaha's entire arranger line is based on what a small group of pre-senile pensioners in the UK have told the guys at Milton Keynes. Fact.

As far as Casio is concerned, my G-Shock gets more wrist time than my Rolex Sub. Brands aren't everything.

#279306 - 01/16/10 11:34 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
Yamaha's entire arranger line is based on what a small group of pre-senile pensioners in the UK have told the guys at Milton Keynes. Fact.

Thankfully they used the pre-senile group...the post-seniles were busy running Roland's arranger marketing and design departments.

Ian

#279307 - 01/16/10 10:59 PM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
to the genesys Offline

One think we have to look at is that although Yamaha may have a greater acceptance in the “pro arranger market”( today if there is such a thing), is that the name Yamaha always had a well known and well represented pro market. So having a Yamaha keyboard on stage was not that far of a stretch even if it was an arranger.
And I am sorry, but if Casio synth were so good in sales (no doubt they were good for playing), there must have been a reason why they did not continue making them.

In this economy, with the cheap home keyboard reputation that Casio now has and with Casio not being a part of the professional keyboard market for a long time, the corporate people would not want to take that risk and put out a product that ask people to dump there current keyboard.

Integration is the name of the game today.
Casio also sells consumer products and I am sure Casio realizes that integration is what sells.
That is what this new generation (and even the old) expects. If Casio wants to reenter the pro keyboard market, they have to have a game changer. They have to do to the keyboard market what the I phone did to the cell phone market.

And Marketing Marketing Marketing is what makes the difference.

Casio would not want to market the product as a "Casio arranger" but would need to market it as the product name. Apple did not market the I phone as an Apple phone or a Mac phone. Sure all those things were under the hood but when people refer to the product they say the I phone.

And, you know what that did? It got apple and Macintosh in to people’s home and Apple had a spring board to market other products to.

If you had the “box” that was able to integrate well with some of the most used major keyboards, and content was offered on the internet, Casio would have increase their visibility in the market place.
Then they would have a spring board for a full fledged pro keyboard product.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 01-16-2010).]

#279308 - 01/17/10 03:05 AM Re: Casio Has Made a Really Smart Move!
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Look, all I said is that I thought Casio would have a better chance of success marketing to professional musicians if they labeled it under a new name and implied that it was being produced by the newly-created 'Professional Division' of their company. In fact, it could be called the POS Pro.

Do I know that for a fact? No. Does anyone know that it's not. No, again. I think it's ok to take a different position on an issue, but sometimes maybe we could just topple it gently as opposed to smacking it down. JMO.

chas

My Privia PX-800 has the Casio logo, but it's pretty small. Maybe that's on purpose.

Casio poses a lot of competition to Yamaha in the entry level arranger and digital piano market. IMO, Casio offers slightly more for the money in digital pianos. Yamaha doesn't have anything like the PX-330 in that price set. If Casio moves into mid-level arrangers, they would probably pose some serious competition to Yamaha.

It's funny that someone mentioned the G-Force watch. I have a G-Force atomic watch. It's a monstrosity for my small wrist, but being a ditz, I need a watch that tells me the day and date and has a night light. I love that it is always precisely on time (and that it's water proof to 300 meters so in case I'm found on the bottom of the ocean I can bequeath my watch). When someone asks me the time, and I tell them to the very minute, suppressing telling them the very second, I feel like an Englishman.

Beakybird

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online