SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279035 - 01/11/10 04:46 AM GW-8 vs Prelude
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Just trying to decipher - just what are the differences between these two keyboards besides speakers? Is one more efficient or desireable than the other? Your opinions, please...

#279036 - 01/11/10 08:13 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The "BIGGY" for me..the Prelude version 2 reads "lyrics" of SMF's residing in the internal memory...(200 SMF)..

Why , they did not update the GW8 to do the same..I do not understand..surely it would have the same ability..but maybe not..the screen is different on the Prelude..

My easy choice is the Prelude..Download the manuals and compare the "new" features with version 2 for the Prelude and the newest update for the GW8..

#279037 - 01/11/10 08:36 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: I have been using my Prelude with the band...and it has been working great..Handles all my band needs..MP3's, SMF's and styles too...And I retain my lyrics for my tunes....The version 2 added a lot of search options while playing..and are easy to find the "next" song..or stlye..even the tones you want to use..

#279038 - 01/11/10 02:32 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two of the main differences that spring to mind are that the GW-8's have an additional two rotary encoders (knobs!) so you can control certain things (filter cutoff, resonance, reverb and chorus levels, attack/release or EQ high and low) in realtime (pretty handy for the tweakers), and you can call up Tones or Performances (registrations) or Styles numerically, rather than using list scrolls or search types.

What is disappointing is that Roland think these minor differences justify two completely different models. Combine the two, I say. Have ALL the features from both models combined in one. The Prelude is so light (17 lbs) that the speakers aren't going to factor into a buyer's decision.

At the very time Roland need to consolidate, and reinvent themselves, they pull off this barely concealed marketing stunt.. Are they TRYING to shoot themselves in the foot? Sure seems like it after the last few years!

#279039 - 01/11/10 02:54 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

The Prelude does all the things Diki mentioned..although not with the two knobs Diki mentioned,,The Prelude will adjust the same parameters in real time (menu/cursor)...and Yes the Prelude has the "numeric" thing too..

I would suggest folks check out the manuals in detail..including the Version 2 manual...

I think the Prelude is the better value..and I do not see any negatives ..that the GW8 would have any advantage..

#279040 - 01/11/10 03:28 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Where's the Numeric switch on the Prelude, Fran? Looked like crazy for it (it's a feature many users have asked for)...

Thing is, if enabling it involves delving deep into menus (like you will also have to to get the ONE data entry knob to do those editing things that will be front panel always active with the GW-8), it isn't as practical as the GW-8. Arranger players need stuff they can get to QUICKLY. Burying it is little better than not having it, IMO...

One area we didn't go into that IS quite significant (IMO) is that the Prelude uses the FULL G70/E80/60/50 style division section (4 Var, 4 Intro/Ends, SIX Fills), whereas the GW-8 only has FOUR Fills. This will make for a little worse translation if you use a G70 style...

I AM a little concerned I can't find a figure for the Prelude's ROM, the GW's 256MB (uncompressed) figure is up, but the Prelude's is not. Often, in the past, Roland hid the numbers on models they had compressed more than usual (G600 springs to mind!) and compromised the sound on a bit... But I may simply be reading more into this than there is. I've had a GW-8 to mess around with for quite a while, but never even SEEN a Prelude.

Perhaps Fran is right, the Prelude is the better deal, but I must confess, at least I would miss those knobs a lot!...

#279041 - 01/11/10 04:17 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...I would miss those knobs a lot!...

That's what Dolly Parton's hubby was thinking when she threatened to leave him .

chas

#279042 - 01/11/10 05:20 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

If you turn [NUMERIC] on, you’ll be able to use the TONE
SELECT buttons ([PIANO]–[SPECIAL]) to enter numerical values.
This is convenient when selecting Tones (p. 20), Styles (p. 25),
Performances (p. 36), or Songs (p. 29).

#279043 - 01/11/10 05:50 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

There is a physical "numeric" button to the right of the "write" button in the edit section..

#279044 - 01/11/10 08:15 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think the Prelude is cool keyboard. I especially like its ribbon controller feature. I got a chance to checkout the Prelude at Namm LAST year and was very impressed with its sounds and build quality especially considering it's super budget price. Only important feature missing (for me) is lack of a vocal harmonizer. That said, I'd love to hear a song produced & played entirely in 'arranger mode' on the Roland Prelude. Anybody?

#279045 - 01/12/10 01:43 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
There is a physical "numeric" button to the right of the "write" button in the edit section..

Got it. Sorry, It's in a totally different place to the GW-8's. Tough to see on the Roland page.

But, basically, two identical arrangers. One with speakers, one with two live controllers, one with lyrics capabilities, one without the dreaded word 'Arranger' on it to scare off the under 30 crowd!

Same price, though...

Me, I put more emphasis on those live controllers. Just as I would HATE to give up my G70's plethora of sliders, that can control almost anything in the arranger for an E60 with none, I am not sure I would be happy with the Prelude's need to menu down to get to the same parameters. But then again, I'm a fairly 'seat of pants' type player, that likes to adjust things on the fly rather than preset everything.

If you are happy making registrations in advance, need speakers, want full compatibility with G/E series styles and lyrics on screen, the Prelude is the logical choice. If you are into more modern musics, want to play the filters as you play, mess with the sound in realtime (the Prelude/GW's electronica sounds are outstanding!) then the GW might be the ticket. Plus, you'll still look cool at a rave! (tongue in cheek warning! )

I still fail to see why Roland thinks it needs to divide the feature set, though. Sure, give one speakers and knock off the word 'Arranger' on the ersatz 'Workstation' version, but for Pete's sake! Why make anything else different?

Lyrics capability would be handy on the GW, and those controllers would be handy on the Prelude, too.

#279046 - 01/12/10 05:33 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I want to thank Fran and Diki for their "same but different" remarks. I think this time the two perspectives have really given us a good picture of Roland's two "arranger" style keyboards. I think Fran has convinced me to focus on the Prelude and Diki has convinced me that Roland needs some better design direction in their keyboard dept. By all means, these two keyboards should be identical with the exception of speakers (and maybe color), which could raise the price of the Prelude somewhat over the GW-8. Thanks guys.

I don't want to stop the conversation, so if anyone has more to say, keep it coming.

#279047 - 01/12/10 08:07 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Not strictly on topic, but.....these machines are clearly advertised, in their own words, as "Home Keyboards". Does this mean that the line between 'Home' and 'Pro' keyboards is becoming even more blurred? Remember, Yamaha still considers the T3 a 'Home' keyboard while Roland marketed the G1000 as a Pro Workstation. Korg definitely considers it's
TOTL arranger a professional board. I guess the real question is, does it really mean anything or is it just a way to target markets? Any significant differences in build quality (I would think one intended for the 'Pro' market would be built more ruggedly)? Just curious.

chas

#279048 - 01/12/10 08:20 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you look on the Roland UK site then the GW 8 is called a Workstation, and so comes under the Synths/Workstation products, whereas the Prelude is called an Arranger, and so comes under the Arranger section.
Basically in the UK (As far as Roland is concerned) if it doesn’t have speakers it’s a Workstation.
Most other manufactures now also seem to be following this practice.
IMO if it does what you want, who cares what it’s called

Bill

#279050 - 01/13/10 02:53 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

I can call a cow a duck. Doesn't make it one! If you wrote 'Organ' on an arranger, would that make it one?

Putting the word 'Workstation' on an arranger doesn't make it one, only in the eyes of potential customers too stupid to research what a REAL WS can do. Were they to take this obvious step, they would see that, while an arranger might have a basic Sequencer, it lacks pretty much ALL the modern WS features like arpeggiation capabilities (many layers deep), audio groove slicing and multitrack audio recording capabilities, deep, deep voice programming and deep flexibility in part assignment and keyboard layout (not to mention MIDI comprehensiveness and all the realtime controllers that grace WS's, nowadays).

Sure, there are a tiny few TOTL arrangers that have a FEW of those features. But not the whole package. And putting the word Workstation on something that is even barebones as an arranger, let alone a WS is marketingspeak, pure and simple. If you think that your arranger IS a WS because it has the word on the panel logo, I've got some land in Florida you might be interested in....

#279052 - 01/14/10 04:41 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Seems Roland have actually listened for a change,

There is a "Version 2" of the GW-8 with style composer added.

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=gw-8
Way to go Roland! I'm going to have another look at this cute little rig.

They also came out with a new stage organ/piano that looks very interesting.

Roland press release below

The Best in Organ, Piano, and Synth Sounds for the Gigging Musician

Los Angeles, CA, January 14, 2010 – Roland is proud to announce the V-Combo VR-700. Featuring the best of Roland’s acclaimed Virtual Tonewheel organ, full key multi-sampled piano, and pro synthesizer sounds, the V-Combo is perfect for players who need an all-in-one keyboard for a variety of musical settings, including houses of worship, stage performances, and rehearsal studios. The V-Combo offers powerful real-time performance capabilities in a simple-to-use-interface.

The V-Combo provides an authentic sound and feel to satisfy any organ player. Using Roland’s Virtual Tonewheel engine, the V-Combo simulates the unique structure and distinctive sound of vintage organs. The new amplifier and rotary simulator faithfully reproduces the sound needed for jazz, rock, funk or gospel, while the 76-key waterfall action captures the feel of a vintage organ. Add an optional PK-25 or PK-7A pedalboard for a more console-organ type feel.

The V-Combo takes its lead from Roland’s popular instruments, including everything from expressive full key multi-sampled acoustic grand pianos, classic electric pianos, to realistic strings, brass, bass and guitar sounds. With tone remain capability onboard, the 76 keys can easily layer two ensemble tones together, or layer and split with the organ tones.

In addition to the ten harmonic bars on the front panel, the V-Combo also incorporates a variety of expressive controllers for even more exhilarating performances. The red harmonic bard allows players to control the volume of the Ensemble tones. With the D Beam, players can create authentic organ-specific effects, such as wheel braking, or perform filter and level tone shaping on ensemble tones using an infrared light beam.

XLR and ¼“ outputs make the V-Combo ready for any stage, while the USB port and Song Player function enables direct playback and control of backing tracks from USB memory. Keyboardists can also back up and recall Favorites and system settings from USB memory, making the V-Combo easy to share at rehearsal studios.

The V-Combo VR-700 is scheduled to ship in March with a suggested retail price of $2,329.00. For more information, please visit www.RolandConnect.com.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-14-2010).]

#279053 - 01/14/10 11:53 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ian..., that version 2 upgrade for the GW-8 has been out for a while now.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#279054 - 01/14/10 12:00 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Squeak...I didn't know about it...glad to see you can now make styles on it.

#279055 - 01/14/10 02:20 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Ian, we have talked in quite some detail about OS2 here on SZ since it came out. For someone who has said on several occasions that he was interested in the unit, I'm surprised you missed it...

However, OS2 doesn't add the ONE feature you say you HAVE to have before you get one. The style composer section, AFAIK, still doesn't allow wholesale copying of sections from different styles and assembling them. I think you still need to use a computer for that (mind you, here you are, using a computer! Doesn't seem THAT onerous, does it?! ).

But OS2 added most of the fabulous Makeup Tools abilities from the E/G series, except the detail drum kit editing. But it DOES allow you to edit the style insert MFX, and easily correct some of the questionable style volume and sound decisions of the ROM styles...

If you are prepared to move just a LITTLE away from your Yamaha workflow (use ANYTHING other than Yamaha, you are going to have to deal with it, sooner or later), I believe you are correct in thinking the S910 and GW-8/Prelude would make a killer combo arranger...

And sorry, BBBB. That comment was a general one. Don't put that hat on if you don't think it fits. We both know better than to take what those snake oil salesmen in charge of arranger marketing say (on the panel graphics) seriously, I'm sure...

#279056 - 01/14/10 02:22 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Looks like EVERYONE wants a piece of Nord's pie, these days, doesn't it?

#279057 - 01/14/10 02:38 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

However, OS2 doesn't add the ONE feature you say you HAVE to have before you get one. The style composer section, AFAIK, still doesn't allow wholesale copying of sections from different styles and assembling them.

Thanks for the clarification, Diki, and I think I'll wait till they add style assembly before I take the plunge.

I'm not gigging till at least May or June, so I'm in no hurry.

I'm kinda interested in the new VR-700...if I end up doing the band thing in the spring, I may look into one...either that, or one of the new Yamaha CP's that just came out; the CP-5 might be a consideration.

Ian

#279058 - 01/14/10 02:46 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Ian if you looking for a second keyboard forget the Roland Prelude. For the same money you got a Korg PA500 Musikant. I play on one a month now and can say wow what a keyboard for the money. I had the GW 8 a few months ago and even the Korg PA50 give you more for your money. Just my opinion

#279059 - 01/14/10 02:47 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

I'd probably still take the Nord's into consideration, Ian. They got something the others still don't get, IMO...

Korg's and Roland's are still just too 'clean', too pristine. I know you dig the retro stuff, and IMO the
Nord's capture that feel you get from playing a 'gigged' vintage 'board, not something off the
showroom floor.

Few classic rock tracks ever had a piano that was PERFECTLY in tune, had PERFECT evenness across the
tines and hammers, had PERFECT oscillators... You want that sound, I think Nord is the way to go.

To be honest, right now, the Nord Stage is the ONLY piece of gear I have any serious technolust for. If I
had the cash lying around, I'd get one in a flash!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online