SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279035 - 01/11/10 04:46 AM GW-8 vs Prelude
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Just trying to decipher - just what are the differences between these two keyboards besides speakers? Is one more efficient or desireable than the other? Your opinions, please...

#279036 - 01/11/10 08:13 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The "BIGGY" for me..the Prelude version 2 reads "lyrics" of SMF's residing in the internal memory...(200 SMF)..

Why , they did not update the GW8 to do the same..I do not understand..surely it would have the same ability..but maybe not..the screen is different on the Prelude..

My easy choice is the Prelude..Download the manuals and compare the "new" features with version 2 for the Prelude and the newest update for the GW8..

#279037 - 01/11/10 08:36 AM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: I have been using my Prelude with the band...and it has been working great..Handles all my band needs..MP3's, SMF's and styles too...And I retain my lyrics for my tunes....The version 2 added a lot of search options while playing..and are easy to find the "next" song..or stlye..even the tones you want to use..

#279038 - 01/11/10 02:32 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two of the main differences that spring to mind are that the GW-8's have an additional two rotary encoders (knobs!) so you can control certain things (filter cutoff, resonance, reverb and chorus levels, attack/release or EQ high and low) in realtime (pretty handy for the tweakers), and you can call up Tones or Performances (registrations) or Styles numerically, rather than using list scrolls or search types.

What is disappointing is that Roland think these minor differences justify two completely different models. Combine the two, I say. Have ALL the features from both models combined in one. The Prelude is so light (17 lbs) that the speakers aren't going to factor into a buyer's decision.

At the very time Roland need to consolidate, and reinvent themselves, they pull off this barely concealed marketing stunt.. Are they TRYING to shoot themselves in the foot? Sure seems like it after the last few years!

#279039 - 01/11/10 02:54 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

The Prelude does all the things Diki mentioned..although not with the two knobs Diki mentioned,,The Prelude will adjust the same parameters in real time (menu/cursor)...and Yes the Prelude has the "numeric" thing too..

I would suggest folks check out the manuals in detail..including the Version 2 manual...

I think the Prelude is the better value..and I do not see any negatives ..that the GW8 would have any advantage..

#279040 - 01/11/10 03:28 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Where's the Numeric switch on the Prelude, Fran? Looked like crazy for it (it's a feature many users have asked for)...

Thing is, if enabling it involves delving deep into menus (like you will also have to to get the ONE data entry knob to do those editing things that will be front panel always active with the GW-8), it isn't as practical as the GW-8. Arranger players need stuff they can get to QUICKLY. Burying it is little better than not having it, IMO...

One area we didn't go into that IS quite significant (IMO) is that the Prelude uses the FULL G70/E80/60/50 style division section (4 Var, 4 Intro/Ends, SIX Fills), whereas the GW-8 only has FOUR Fills. This will make for a little worse translation if you use a G70 style...

I AM a little concerned I can't find a figure for the Prelude's ROM, the GW's 256MB (uncompressed) figure is up, but the Prelude's is not. Often, in the past, Roland hid the numbers on models they had compressed more than usual (G600 springs to mind!) and compromised the sound on a bit... But I may simply be reading more into this than there is. I've had a GW-8 to mess around with for quite a while, but never even SEEN a Prelude.

Perhaps Fran is right, the Prelude is the better deal, but I must confess, at least I would miss those knobs a lot!...

#279041 - 01/11/10 04:17 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
...I would miss those knobs a lot!...

That's what Dolly Parton's hubby was thinking when she threatened to leave him .

chas

#279042 - 01/11/10 05:20 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

If you turn [NUMERIC] on, you’ll be able to use the TONE
SELECT buttons ([PIANO]–[SPECIAL]) to enter numerical values.
This is convenient when selecting Tones (p. 20), Styles (p. 25),
Performances (p. 36), or Songs (p. 29).

#279043 - 01/11/10 05:50 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Fran Carango Offline

There is a physical "numeric" button to the right of the "write" button in the edit section..

#279044 - 01/11/10 08:15 PM Re: GW-8 vs Prelude
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I think the Prelude is cool keyboard. I especially like its ribbon controller feature. I got a chance to checkout the Prelude at Namm LAST year and was very impressed with its sounds and build quality especially considering it's super budget price. Only important feature missing (for me) is lack of a vocal harmonizer. That said, I'd love to hear a song produced & played entirely in 'arranger mode' on the Roland Prelude. Anybody?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online