SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#279026 - 01/10/10 10:15 AM Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, I know I can't sing a note, so any vocals you hear from me are strictly to give you an idea of what I had in mind. I usually drench them in reverb to hide how bad they are. Anyhoo, I woke up this morning depressed (damned Cowboys) but wanted to give Diki a sample of my DM10 drum sounds. Since he likes Reggae and I like blues, I decided to mix a reggae beat (I think) with a semi-reggae bass and a traditional old New Orleans type blues tune. Ever experimenting, that's me. Only did a second take on the vocals, the first was even worse than this one plus my voice cracked in about three places.

The instruments are:

Organ - Nord C1 (what else )
piano - PA1x doubled with scat voice on VP550
Drums - Alesis DM-10
Bass - Fantom G7
Vocals - Yuccckkkkk - uh, me.

BTW, all the old deceased jazzmen from New Orleans will probably turn over in their grave - come to think of it, so will the Reggae crowd.

It's recorded 'light' and it's kind of repetitive, but it was kind of spur-of-the-moment and I didn't know what to do with it .
http://www.box.net/shared/kqlqc85u5x

chas

PS: Well somebody needs to post some music.

#279027 - 01/10/10 05:25 PM Re: Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... I understand your "post -Eagle depression" - I was an E-girls fan for a day as stated on another post -
but that is no excuse for the 'repressed' vocals on this tune ... you do a better job on vocals than you give yourself credit for ... now c'mon and get your pipes (BOTH sets ) UPFRONT in the damn tune !!!
Also, even if you don't want your vocals up front, how about posting more music ... I got PLENTY more room on the iPOD ...
t.
PS and thanks for posting some music ... coincidently, I was thinking of posting something just to shake this place up ... although the last time I posted a link to some music, I don't think I got more than 1 response although there were up to 34 D/L of some tunes ...
t.
PS: BTW ... I think the tune is cool ...
thnx,
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-10-2010).]

#279028 - 01/10/10 06:22 PM Re: Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Irie, mon! Marie Laveau probably done the gris gris on yo', though!

What's the name of the style you used (I've got a bunch of PA1X-G70 conversions)..? Oops! Forgot... that's the DM10. Is that a practice pattern, or a demo file, or your drummer?

Who Dat?! Looks like the Cards, if anybody, anyway! I was really hoping for the Pack to pull it out at the end, I've got a bunch of transplanted Wisconsin musos down here committing seppuku right now...

Mind you, if there's anything Saints fans have down cold is dealing with disappointment!

Nice jam... We've got to collaborate some time...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-10-2010).]

#279029 - 01/11/10 04:51 AM Re: Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Nice groove, Chas...

Actually, your vocals stood out...Like Tony said, bring them up in the mix...they were fine...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#279030 - 01/11/10 05:24 AM Re: Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Love the organ!!! Love you playing it.!!!

Vocals aren't bad at all but kinda in the background.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#279031 - 01/11/10 05:31 AM Re: Post Eagle Depression & DM10 drums
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks guys, but I'm one of those guys that can't sing but thinks they know how the song SHOULD go if they COULD sing (Oscar Peterson and Les McCann come to mind). I forgot to mention, the brass is PA1x (a patch called 'horns' which I keep going back to, despite all the other choices I have). The drum pattern was a simple 4 bar pattern on the DM10 augmented by me in real time using the kit - I'm so proud . The changes were just made up on the spot and are totally unrelated to that song. I just picked the first blues tune I could think of that would fit a 8 bar pattern and force-fed it through the changes (which I had already put down). I actually know the correct changes for that tune, my father used to sing it 50 years ago (he couldn't sing either ). For me, it's all about the 'feel' and the rhythm, especially the rhythm. I love tunes that have that 'in the pocket' feel.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online