Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#278801 - 01/06/10 06:08 AM New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#278802 - 01/06/10 12:54 PM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Did you listen to the demos, Bill? I'm afraid I'm not that impressed. Both the violin and cello seemed to respond to velocity VERY poorly, jumping in and out.

I tell you, if there's one area that SA2 could be REALLY leveraged, it's a REALLY good solo violin and cello. For starters, legato/staccato playing is indistinguishable on those new sounds. And then, to replicate string sounds, the velocity of the keyboard is a poor place to try and control dynamics, being better done with a foot controller or mod wheel, swells and diminuendos being integral to the string sound...

Honestly, what did YOU think of them?

#278803 - 01/06/10 01:50 PM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Just to clear this, this sounds are NOT S.A.2, and I think the switch velocity, is up to the touch of the player, anyone can experience that with any brand and model in either way(good or bad).

The S.A.2 enable the 2 switches next to the pitch and modulation wheel.
Not all the sounds on the T3 are S.A.2, there are also S.A.(1st Generation like in the T2), plus the Mega, Sweet, Live, etc. sounds in the instrument.

So far, the only other S.A.2 voices that you can add to the T3, is the Trombone S.A.2 and the Pan Flute S.A.2, if you notice in the link below, the other available sounds are NOT S.A.2.
http://music-tyros.com/#

I do agree, the demo is not the best, then I have seen and heard a demo in the Atalier largest model that I wonder, some players can make a fine instrument sound like &%$#@, And it does not matter how good is the tone generation or resources the instrument has.
I am sure all of us at one time or another have witness that.

Most keyboards have a control or different ways to customize the players touch to the action of the key bed, and is evident that the player that made the demo probably did not prepare the most suitable music to show off the new sounds and the velocity switch was not properly adjusted.

------------------
mdorantes

#278804 - 01/06/10 02:04 PM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Too weird, my post disappeared! Anyway, yes, I listened to them. It's not the type of style I would likely use. They sounded just okay to me, didn't flip me out. Then again, my ears are not as discerning as others due to ignorance and hearing loss. And that's a deadly combo, haha.

#278805 - 01/06/10 03:32 PM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
Diki Offline

The problem with tying performance aspects to velocity is, legato and detached has NOTHING to do with volume. You can play detached quietly, and legato at fff. And vice versa.

And initial velocity has little to do with the END of a note, when you are talking strings, or brasswinds, or anything else other than percussive sounds.

Something they could take a look at for SA3 is tying increasing dynamics performance switches to the footpedal. Acoustic instruments behave VERY differently depending on how loud a phrase you want to play, but some things ARE independent of velocity. A string patch with little no volume response to velocity, but responds to footpedal would be awesome!

#278806 - 01/07/10 01:49 AM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
I just noticed them on one of the sites I was visiting, and just thought SZ T3 users might find them useful. (I have access to the vast Akai sample library, as well as VSTi, so manufacture specific sounds have little interest to me (Unless their Wersi sounds of course)
As to the quality of them, I have been used to VSTi for that long that even the best hardware arrangers pale in comparison, (This includes SA, Mega and DNC) so it gets difficult to judge.
Regards

Bill

#278807 - 01/07/10 02:28 AM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
Diki Offline

No problem Bill. Thanks for posting it.

But I have said in the past, and it still bears repeating... You post a lot of stuff without comment, and it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on whatever it is, not just a URL.

JMO...

#278808 - 01/11/10 02:06 PM Re: New Cinematic voices for Tyros 3
jazzhooves Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The velocity control has been changed and new samples have been updated.
All existing customers have had a new set sent to them. The new samples have a better level of control across the velocity range

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online