SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#278651 - 01/02/10 07:54 AM OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
New Year's Resolution... and I have already started! I have spent about an hour cleaning my office and I can barely tell I have started.

There are programs that combine a scanner and software to do this. All the paper that comes into your life, you scan it and then archive it. Throw the paper away! Each scan is tagged with keywords or easily recalled tags so that you can find it if you need it. Anyone use anything like this or can recommend a certain one? The paper in my life is just overwhelming. I'm not exaggerating, I bet it will take me a week to clean up my office. I have to look at each piece of paper and wow, do I have a lot!

And that's not to mention the doodads and doo-hickeys for this and that. Man, I have got to get rid of a lot of stuff and somehow, organize the things I need. I need some kind of organizer rack that holds lots of small stuff. I have some things like this in guy's who have really organized home workshops.

#278652 - 01/02/10 08:02 AM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Be sure to shred those papers before putting them in the trash can. You would be amazed at the number of documents that are mailed to you with your checking account number, social security number, credit card account number, etc.. Just tossing them in the trash can without shredding them first is akin to playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278653 - 01/02/10 08:11 AM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bill,

Be sure to shred those papers before putting them in the trash can. You would be amazed at the number of documents that are mailed to you with your checking account number, social security number, credit card account number, etc.. Just tossing them in the trash can without shredding them first is akin to playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Gary

Okay, oh, wise sage, then recommend me a shredder! I used to have one. Some shredders are crap, I would want to have one that would last and could do multiple pages at a time.

#278655 - 01/02/10 08:25 AM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bill, talk to Susan. She scans everything at her office.
DonM

#278656 - 01/02/10 08:26 AM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
If what your doing something that's very common and something many people do, I might be interested in writing a document control program for you. I write programs like this for companies all the time so chances are I will only have to modify something I've already written to suite the home user needs. With your input this could be quickly done.

What's in it for me is that I'd have something I could sell at the end of this for a few euro a copy maybe. It won't cost you a single cent either way.

PC only though, I'm no Mac programmer.

Regards
James

#278657 - 01/02/10 12:50 PM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
PDF creator would work well for this. You can also scan your sheet music!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

PDF split and merge for creating digital books if desired.

http://www.pdfsam.org/?page_id=32

PDF editor if you want to edit. Haven't used this one yet, but looks good.

http://download.cnet.com/PDFill-PDF-Editor/3000-6675_4-10295757.html

BTW, there'll all free programs. I use these for my laptop fake book and lead sheets.

Maybe I'll scan my important papers. Hope you have a fast scanner and software, however

Scott

#278658 - 01/02/10 02:42 PM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#278659 - 01/02/10 07:31 PM Re: OT - Scanner software to get rid of paper!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

The shredder I have in the office shreds up to five pages at a time and is made by Secure Shred . It has an auto on/off mode that prevents overheating and the only time it ever jammed is when staples were missed and jammed between the blades. My wife purchased it for about $30 from some mail order outfit about 5 years ago.

Of course, there is another option. If you have a wood stove in your home, those papers will be just fine in place of kindling to fire up those oak logs. Prior to purchasing a gas-log stove the wood-stove was my shredder.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online