SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#278303 - 12/29/09 03:28 PM Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi everyone:

Just wondering, what do you play after you play/sing Auld Lang Syne?

I know that depends on the crowd that you play for, and if you play for Seniors?....

Enquirer minds want to know, me.

------------------
mdorantes

#278304 - 12/29/09 03:55 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The best party music that you have, but give them just a little time, John C.

#278305 - 12/29/09 04:48 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
In our area...Mummer's strutt...Golden slippers, and a medley of old songs like 4 leaf clover, baby face, Cal here I come..etc

#278306 - 12/29/09 05:26 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I have an audience of 40 to 80+ year olds on NYE. A bit of a challenge music-wise...but I have played them before and been able to mix their musical eras pretty well.

AT MIDNIGHT:
After two verses of the tradition Auld Lang Syne I plan to seque into a HOT version of the ALS using Yamaha's Frankly Soul style. From there into Kool and The Gang's Celebration. Then, first slow song of the new year: Moments to Remember.

At least that is how I think I am going to do it. Everything is subject to change in accordance to how I read the crowd.

Eddie

ps-- or I might do just what Fran is planning. I like that idea to.

#278307 - 12/29/09 07:21 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've chosen not to play NYE for several years now, but when I did, it was "When the Saints Go Marching In" and a number of other 'dixieland' songs ... similar to what Fran said ...
t.

#278308 - 12/29/09 07:21 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
sorry ... dble click ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-29-2009).]

#278309 - 12/29/09 07:26 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The style I use for Auld Lang Syne fits quite well for Moonlight Serenade so I transition right into it. At the ending, I fire things up and go into Hot Hot Hot, Old Time Rock & Roll, Celebration, then slow things down a bit.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278310 - 12/29/09 07:43 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Show Me The Way To Go Home
Bebop

#278311 - 12/29/09 07:54 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Show Me The Way To Go Home
Bebop

That's the last song I do at nearly every gig--and everyone sings it, at least the first verse. Not many folks know the second verse:

SHOW ME THE WAY TO GO HOME

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it's gone right to my head
No matter where I roam
Over land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

Mrs. Fitzgivins, went a swimmin'
Early on a Sunday Morn
She took a dip, heard a rip
She knew her suit was torn
She stayed until the change of tide
Took the water out
And when she could no longer hide
You could hear her shout

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it's gone right to my head
No matter where that I roam
Over land or sea or foam
You can always hear me singing this song
Show me the way to go home.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278312 - 12/29/09 09:04 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:

Hi everyone:

Just wondering, what do you play after you play/sing Auld Lang Syne?

Mdorantes,

Nothing, people who go to New Years Eve parties are usually old and by midnight are more likely to be pi**ed and out of their heads, turn the KB off and go home they won't even notice you've gone, no refection on your playing BTW. Save the nations power, turn off, turn over a new leaf and be sustainable.

Happy New Year Mdorantes
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#278313 - 12/30/09 01:29 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Good thread...

Our client only wants another 10-15 minutes at the most because they want people to leave.

I kind of put the band into "one more" mode.

One more swing tune...
One more dixie tune...
One more latin, polka, country...
One more ballad...

then GBA and "We'll meet Again" to wrap it all up.

(BTW, some goof scheduled me for a double on New Year's day. First gig at 10:00am out near Indiana. I should know better!)

Be safe out there!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278314 - 12/30/09 09:55 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Mdorantes,

Nothing, people who go to New Years Eve parties are usually old and by midnight are more likely to be pi**ed and out of their heads, turn the KB off and go home they won't even notice you've gone, no refection on your playing BTW. Save the nations power, turn off, turn over a new leaf and be sustainable.

Happy New Year Mdorantes

Tony doesn't your Ketron keyboard do that automatically...

#278315 - 12/30/09 10:28 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Turn out the lights, the party's over" - Willie Nelson/Don Meredith
DonM

#278316 - 12/30/09 07:21 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Played my first New Year's gig at age 14 and played what Fran said then, and every year since - Golden Slippers and a long medley of related tunes. We usually followed with a conga line number, tried to fire every one up and milk the crowd for some overtime money ...
The last couple of years, I just do my restaurant gigs and I'm home by midnight.
Ciao,
Jerry

#278317 - 12/31/09 09:11 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I stopped playing NYE about 10 years ago. I think the band should play til 12:30, then go home. A couple huggy-squeezy ballads would do just fine at 12:01, then I'd go into "Brick House" "That's What I Like About You" and "Roadhouse". Happy New Year, Good night and God bless... and don't forget to pack up everything, especially that old book you were using tonight.

#278318 - 12/31/09 11:29 PM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Tony doesn't your Ketron keyboard do that automatically...

You got me on that one Fran 10 out of 10. go and see the teacher!
I wonder what mdorantes did play after Midnight?

Happy new Year Fran

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 12-31-2009).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#278319 - 01/01/10 12:07 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
As usual...what I planned was amended. After Auld Lang Syne I went into Hot Hot Hot. During that I had a request for a Polka..and, believe it or not, a request for Alley Cat.

I did both...then catered to some 20 somethings on the floor with MP3s and called it a night.

A good time was had by all. I was hired again for next year. I hope I am still alive.

Eddie

#278320 - 01/01/10 01:56 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
The job went VERY smooth...I even played Schottische, the people in this place did a very nice job in this dance.

These was the type of job that the time goes so fast that I did not notice, it was FUN.

By the way, I asked what the SZ members play After Auld Lang Syne. I have at least 36+ NYE jobs I done, I played When the Saints march in, then the Can Can, I survived...and to finish, Show me the way to go home.

I have done this many times, I may add, that this dance was for Seniors, and I had some "New" seniors, (Baby boomers) and of course, I played some Rock & Roll and some Rock ballad on this same 50īs 60īs too.

I adapt my repertoire according with the age group, and some weeks before the job, if is for an audience that I have never played before, I ask to the organizers the music type that their people like to dance or so, and I make sure I am prepared for.

After the job was done, I was ask to play for the next 2 NYE, only I am already booked for the next one, still, I will be back there, hopefully.

Manuel

------------------
mdorantes

#278321 - 01/01/10 03:26 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Played ALS with the band, then the owner wanted us to take a break for 30 min, DJ played booty music, then we went back on and did more of our usual thing...

Nice to not have to trot out the usual party chestnuts, let the DJ have his time, get some champagne (amazing how often they forget to bring glasses to the band! ) schmooze with the owners and cute girls and THEN get back to playing. Mostly a 25-50 crowd, so no party pooping (or diaper pooping!) going on here!

Had fun, they had fun, made some good music... what more could you ask for?

#278322 - 01/01/10 04:41 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well last night we ended up playing MASSIVELY upbeat party music as we had to contend with 18-50 year olds - so:

I Gotta Feeling (Black Eyed Peas)
Long way to the Top (AC/DC)

and just went onwards and upwards from there....

(Happy New Year everyone btw..

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#278323 - 01/01/10 06:19 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I attended a polka party last night. After ALS the guitar player broke into "Sweet Home Alabama" and crowded the floor (yes, the band also played a few standards and classic rock). As he was about to sing the lyrics, his amp cut out. The band continued playing for about a minute, then stopped. Music stopped for over 15 minutes as the guitarist hopelessly tried to find the problem - downer, bigtime. The band could have and often does play without him. When they came back the crowd talked them into playing a specialty tune called the punctuation song, but somehow they were not prepared and didn't have or know the words - even though they had played for some of these attendees previously. A guy from another polka band helped out with lyrics and la-la"s. A female club member got to the stage immediately after the song and seemed to give the guitar guy a good piece of her mind. After a long pause before the next song, the band seemed to hesitate on what to play. Suddenly, the guitarist put his axe down and walked off the stage and sat down. The band played the rest of the final set without him. Wow! He came back for the two songs, but was obviously upset and said something about his encounter with the woman. Happy New Year.

#278324 - 01/01/10 09:17 AM Re: Just wondering what music do you play after Auld Lang Syne?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played Midnight Hour immediately before.
There were two other "bands" in the building. Semilive was in one room and a sax/kb duo in another. They all came into my room before midnight. The sax guy brought his horn and joined in and the other guy sang. We jammed on Midnight Hour and ALS, then Stand By Me after midnight.
Then I played two more songs and told everybody that when they woke up tomorrow to look in the mirror and think of this song: Then I did Make The World Go Away. Then I took a 48-hour break.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online