SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#278245 - 12/29/09 01:13 PM Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It looks slow around here...Bring back the New year post...

#278246 - 12/29/09 01:18 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It must have been axed because it's not on here.

#278247 - 12/29/09 01:22 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Donny was banned again.

Ian

#278248 - 12/29/09 01:24 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Maby he is banned from this forum again. Some people never learn.

#278249 - 12/29/09 01:33 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

I got an email from him...he's banned. It's too bad...I like Donny.

Ian

#278250 - 12/29/09 01:36 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
FransN Offline

Yes ok like him or not his first post was already about middle fingers to some people. Not very nice.

#278251 - 12/29/09 01:56 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Yes, Frans, that was a bad choice for a first post....I agree.

Holding on to anger is like grasping
a hot coal with the intent of throwing
it at someone else; you are the one
getting burned.

My uncle Jim used to say, "Speak when you're angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret."

Ian

#278252 - 12/29/09 02:10 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
FransN Offline

Yes Ian,

When I am irritated I also say things that make no sense See some of my threads. Yes I know myself.

#278253 - 12/29/09 02:21 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Diki wasn't banned right? He's still here

That's too bad with DNJ, He was better off just keeping things to himself. Is it a permanant ban.

#278254 - 12/29/09 02:24 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

As far as I know, Diki is still around.

#278255 - 12/29/09 02:46 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yes Ian,

When I am irritated I also say things that make no sense See some of my threads. Yes I know myself.

Are you irritated now, Frans?

Just KIDDING!

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#278256 - 12/29/09 05:45 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Diki wasn't banned right? He's still here

That's too bad with DNJ, He was better off just keeping things to himself. Is it a permanant ban.

Not permanent, he'll get another opportunity next Summer...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278257 - 12/29/09 05:47 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Are you irritated now, Frans?

Just KIDDING!

Regards

Taike

Well now I am

#278258 - 12/29/09 06:05 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Not permanent, he'll get another opportunity next Summer...

Bill, how do you know these things?..
Are you Nigel's administrative assistant?...

#278259 - 12/29/09 07:16 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've met Donny personally and I know he is a good guy, and I like him and consider him a friend, but I have to say, his post was a real disappointment to me ...
Too bad,
t.

#278260 - 12/31/09 02:38 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yeah Donny was banned again. No surprise to anyone including him I am very sure. If you really are surpised you can email me directly and I will connect the dots for you.

#278261 - 12/31/09 06:08 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny,
I'm sure was and is lurking in the shadows. I think it was unfortunate and poor taste to go on the attack upon his return. I would like to say this - I know Donny through his many posts, personal emails and telephone conversations. He has always been a personable, helpful, kind and gentle person toward me. I think he's a fine person. BUT, I also have sensed a change in DNJ's posts over the past 18 months or so. There seems to be an underlying anger and in-your-face attitude that I didn't sense before then. I'm wondering if there is something going on in Donny's life that has triggered this change. I know that he and Diki have had their very public put-down sessions that seem to monopolize his comments, but even DNJ's comments to others have sometimes been curt and less friendly than before. I hope I am wrong, but if there is something going on in Donny's life that is affecting his actions, I pray that he finds peace in this new year. JMHO.

#278262 - 12/31/09 06:40 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
There seems to be an underlying anger and in-your-face attitude that I didn't sense before then. I'm wondering if there is something going on in Donny's life that has triggered this change...even DNJ's comments to others have sometimes been curt and less friendly than before. I hope I am wrong, but if there is something going on in Donny's life that is affecting his actions, I pray that he finds peace in this new year. JMHO.

I agree, Cassp...I found a change in Donny's demeanor over the past while too.

We still keep in touch by email, and he is always courteous and helpful, but, like you said, there is a change that is even noticable in his private messages.

We all go through slumps and sometimes even question what we are doing...I've taken the winter off to re-evaluate personal arranger gigging, as I seem to have lost my interest in it a lot in the past year. I still like to do the occasional Yamaha demo, and help people, but as far as playing gigs, I just don't feel the same way about them.

I still play my S910 everyday, and I'm getting a new digital piano in the near future, but something inside me has changed, and I'm not sure if it will change back. I haven't even done any recording in quite a while.

I just turned 60 this past March, and it's made me look at things differently...time left in my life has suddenly become more valuable, and I'm evaluating what to do with it.

I hope that whatever Donny is experiencing (if he is) is something that he can share with someone else, as a problem shared, is a problem cut in half...I know it has helped me to discuss my feelings about playing.

We all change at different rates, and for different reasons....if there is something gnawing away at him, I hope he finds a way to talk about it, and get rid of it; I know talking about my issues to good and trusted friend, has helped me cope a lot better.

Ian

#278263 - 12/31/09 07:16 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I've taken the winter off to re-evaluate personal arranger gigging, as I seem to have lost my interest in it a lot in the past year.

I found this very interesting, Ian, or am I reading too much into it? Did you really mean ARRANGER gigging as opposed to just gigging in general. Could you elaborate (but only if you feel like sharing). Does it have anything to do with the lack of personal satisfaction of playing an arranger keyboard (in arranger mode) in a professional setting (you being primarily an instrumentalist and all). I ask because I really enjoy fooling around with my arranger(s) at home but have no desire to play one in public (IN ARRANGER MODE). That's not a put-down of the instrument; it's just that it's never going to play what I want the audience to hear, a fact that I've stated over and over but which seems to draw fire every time I try to explain. I keep getting painted as some kind of purist or elitist, which is a joke considering my questionable talent and mediocre ability. I, too, had lost interest in gigging again until I got my Nord C1 and went back to playing the only thing I've ever really played as a (semi) pro, an organ. If all other things were equal, it would be an authentic 'B3' but I find the C1 to be the next best thing in terms of playing satisfaction.

Didn't mean to take this thread in a different direction but your statement really got my attention.

chas

#278264 - 12/31/09 08:12 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I found this very interesting, Ian, or am I reading too much into it? Did you really mean ARRANGER gigging as opposed to just gigging in general. Does it have anything to do with the lack of personal satisfaction of playing an arranger keyboard (in arranger mode) in a professional setting (you being primarily an instrumentalist and all). I, too, had lost interest in gigging again until I got my Nord C1 and went back to playing the only thing I've ever really played as a (semi) pro, an organ. If all other things were equal, it would be an authentic 'B3' but I find the C1 to be the next best thing in terms of playing satisfaction.

Didn't mean to take this thread in a different direction but your statement really got my attention.

chas

I'm not sure yet, Chas...I've gone through little slumps, but I always managed to re-interest myself in something that would draw me back in to playing.

It's not just arranger playing...I work hard at giving myself at least a tiny bit of individuality with an arranger by assembling my own styles and writing my own arrangements, but I just don't feel that satisfaction I used to feel when playing at my restaurant gig. I don't want to do these gigs anymore as it stands now.

I seemed always to get a good reaction, but at the same time, I also felt like wallpaper; it had nothing to do with using an arranger...I felt the same way when playing solo piano.

Playing the Hammond was definitely a real love of mine...I cut my teeth on the Hammond and made sort of a name for myself (medium fish....very small pond) when I played years ago in the local bands, and that is something I'm toying with at present.

Not a lot of players to work with around this area, and I don't want to do the bar scene anymore either.

I'm just thinking out loud.

It's like I need to find the joy again...the hunger...I don't know, I'm probably not making much sense.

All the surgeries I had over the past two years didn't help (three major) and I still have to be careful lifting anything over 30 lbs or so...otherwise, I'm totally healthy.

I don't think it's a self-confidence thing...it's like I feel burnt out more than anything.

Again, thinking out loud, and probably still not making sense...I don't want to take this topic off base too far either, but it is heartening to know that others like yourself (and maybe Donny?) have felt these types of feelings to some extent.

Ian

#278265 - 12/31/09 09:19 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ian and Chas,

It sounds as if both of you need another outlet for your leisure time. I'm fortunate in that I go sailing, fly fishing, and have a huge lawn to care for.

In Ian's case, residing in the wilds of Canada with its endless winters, outdoor activities are somewhat limited.

Chas, however, has lots of sunshine, the Gulf Of Mexico, and lots of nearby lakes that offer a lot of great opportunities for outdoor enthusiast.

Good luck to both of you and have a Happy New Year,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278266 - 12/31/09 09:25 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I find the magic number is 60. I also turned 60 this year and I feel good, have no problems and am not a glass half empty kind of guy. But....my priorities and attitudes have also changed this year.
Almost overnight with no conscience effort on my part, as a matter of fact it seems to sneak up and surprise even me at times.
Nothing drastic, but I don't care if I play anymore. I want to be entertained, no more nights, weekends, and holidays. I want to just enjoy.
So many things start to seem petty and not worth the trouble.

So I also raise two fingers (thumbs up in my case) to all my fellow SZ members and wish us all a happy new year.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-31-2009).]

#278267 - 12/31/09 09:31 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I belong to a club that tells me I should not be doing inventories of other people's character defects whether they are real or not and I should concentrate on correcting my own defects of character. I may not always correct my own sometimes old habits die hard. I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong in whatever they post on the board.

what I can say is I speak to Donny every now and then as I do with other members of this forum. I spoke to him twice this week about a purchase he's about to make not related to musical gear. He's nothing but a gentlemen to me and in the process is always willing to share with me tips that has made him the success he is in the music business.

Happy New Year everyone, peace!

#278268 - 12/31/09 10:03 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Yeah Donny was banned again. No surprise to anyone including him I am very sure. If you really are surpised you can email me directly and I will connect the dots for you.

Nigel, this is the time of year when we use to leave bad stuff behind and start up
the new year with clean paper to draw on.
What about give amnesty to members who is on the "ban list" and let them start at
new unwritten paper as well?

If we see more unwanted behaviour who may need action like banning, well, then it's
done in purpose and you can just ban again with no pardon.

Regarding Donny, I did not see if his tread went off worse after the 3 - 4 first
posts, because it was deleted. It probably did, that's sad, because if it was to
express bad feelings about past ban it could maybe been done in a more diplomatic
way.

Anyway, even I get frustrated sometimes, and then 2 fingers will not do, I rise all
5 at both hands at the same time!

Come'on guys and gals, you know the song 'Mercy Mercy Me ....'

Happy New and Peaceful Year 2010
Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#278269 - 12/31/09 11:27 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I constantly struggle with being satisfied just playing an arranger. Now that I only do one-hour NH gigs, I feel I have no real need to pull out my XK-1 or invest in some other type keyboard. But I am happiest as an organist (player) occasionally playing a piano or keyboard. Maybe chas has the right idea with his C1, I don't know. I do know that I give a lot at my gigs, but I don't want to take on any more equipment than I need to.
The arranger is often a vehicle for inspiration, which is a big plus. The styles and sounds do lend themselves to song creation, but I miss that interaction with other musicians. I'd also would like to find that joy and hunger again.

#278270 - 12/31/09 02:24 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I constantly struggle with being satisfied just playing an arranger. I'd also would like to find that joy and hunger again.

I think we all go through these little times of questioning what we are doing, and why. I've never been in this situation before, but it will pass, as surely as other things in my life worked out.

I'm actually glad to have New Years off and be okay financially enough to take the whole winter off, so I am grateful for that blessing, plus my health is excellent, other than a few surgical scars, so I count my blessings there as well.

It gives me time to choose another path, or strengthen my resolve to stay on the same one after some changes....60 was kind of a necessary wake up call.

It will work itself out Cassp...you had a close call yourself this year, and are doing okay...some of our friends weren't so lucky...I lost three good buddies this year.

The rough times only make us stronger...like the saying, "A calm sea does not make a good sailor."

Ian

#278271 - 12/31/09 10:12 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

...I'm not sure yet, Chas...I've gone through little slumps, but I always managed to re-interest myself in something that would draw me back in to playing.

...but I just don't feel that satisfaction I used to feel when playing at my restaurant gig. I don't want to do these gigs anymore as it stands now.

...I also felt like wallpaper; it had nothing to do with using an arranger...I felt the same way when playing solo piano.

...when I played years ago in the local bands, and that is something I'm toying with at present.

...Not a lot of players to work with around this area, and I don't want to do the bar scene anymore either.

...It's like I need to find the joy again...the hunger

...I don't think it's a self-confidence thing...it's like I feel burnt out more than anything.

Ian

Ive never seen such candid remarks as Ive seen in this thread. No one trying to best the next person for a change.

Ian,

This is a great post you did here..for me anyway. Up to now Ive been thinking Im the only one on the planet who felt this way (about most of what you wrote). And Ive also been too proud to talk about it.

I never thought Id get to this point myself. Ive played every day for the last 40 years. Ive always done this for a living and up to a few years ago, I couldnt live without my daily dose of music. Suddenly, I dont care either if I play anymore. I mean likewhen I sit down at the piano, I cant tear myself away from it. But, more times than not, I dont ever even make it to the piano.

Is it too many years of entertaining in, what I call, a plastic world? something like living every day in DisneyLand. Is it meeting and conversing with hordes of people on a surface level only and then never seeing them again? Is it having to ignore many other things I enjoy doing like reading, listening to music (rather than playing it), spending more social time with friends, travel, meditating, etc.

Or is it, as I suspect, the rubbish music that exists today and that people prefer over what used to be? I think this is the straw that broke the camels back (me being the camels back). Everything else was just leading up to it!

This has been a first for me, to admit to anyone thats Im getting tired of playing music. As I saidIve been too proud. But since you guys have already been so forthcoming, it feels good to let it out.

Again..its been satisfying hearing some of you reveal true feelings about playing instead of talking about the latest OS, etc.

Lucky

#278272 - 12/31/09 10:19 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

I find the magic number is 60. I also turned 60 this year and I feel good, have no problems and am not a glass half empty kind of guy. But....my priorities and attitudes have also changed this year.

Almost overnight with no conscience effort on my part, as a matter of fact it seems to sneak up and surprise even me at times.

Nothing drastic, but I don't care if I play anymore. I want to be entertained, no more nights, weekends, and holidays. I want to just enjoy.

So many things start to seem petty and not worth the trouble.

Mike.....another good post. I can relate to everything you said. You guys are on a roll with this thread!

Lucky

#278273 - 01/01/10 01:51 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i guess its like anything. I used to play semi professional basketball. I used to eat sleep and drink it for the last 20 years , played every day except sabbaths 2-3 hours a day and loved it. then i turned 35 and over a short period of time just lost interest. I still enjoy watching the NBA but i couldnt tell you the last time i held a basketball.

What i am saying is that if all you have done for a long time is one thing and it was your passion in life and then you make it your profession , then after a time that hunger and passion will diminish. That hapens with absolutely anything. I think they call it diminishing marginal returns.

#278274 - 01/01/10 03:20 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Nigel, this is the time of year when we use to leave bad stuff behind and start up
the new year with clean paper to draw on.
What about give amnesty to members who is on the "ban list" and let them start at
new unwritten paper as well?

Well I did do that very thing Gunnar and lifted Donny's ban early to bring in the New Year only a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately he then crossed the line again after I did that which resulted in me re-banning him once again. One amnesty was quite enough.

#278275 - 01/01/10 03:29 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, how do you know these things?..
Are you Nigel's administrative assistant?...

Fran, there are no secrets here, I have already said that people can email me directly if they want to know what went down.

The ban on Donny has been reinstated for 6 months before I will consider lifting it. But I am guessing you already knew that Fran. In fact I wonder what your intent was in posting this thread as I am certain you already knew "Where is DNJ's New Year post" before you even started this thread.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-01-2010).]

#278276 - 01/01/10 03:41 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It is so strange... I am sure that if Donny and I were to meet, were to hang out, maybe even play together, we would get on just fine. But somehow, the printed word brings out things that we would NEVER do in person to each other. The anonymity of it, the misunderstood phrase, the poorly worded concept, the inability of even smilies to put the right nuance on what we write, and enmity develops that face to face conversation never (or usually never!) engenders.

Truly sad. We are supposed to be a brotherhood (and sisterhood, in deference to the 'lack of women' thread ) but here, so often, only the worst aspects of sibling rivalry comes through, rather than the underlying fraternal love that usually smooths it out in the real world.

For my part, I am truly sorry that what I have written here has helped make what was a very popular poster here into a very bitter member. Now, don't get me wrong, I stand by what I write (or I don't write it!), but I truly regret that it was taken the wrong way. I am sure that face to face, we could say the same things to each other (or at least, all but the most bitter) and no-one would get their feelings hurt, but writing, and reading what others write, is truly a different form of communication to talking.

I sincerely hope that, when Donny's current ban is lifted, he can come back here and we all start afresh, and the only digits raised are thumbs...

#278277 - 01/01/10 04:29 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
The ban on Donny has been reinstated for 6 months before I will consider lifting it.

I have to say you're a kind of strict/hard when ban for as long as 6 months who seem to be
quite a long period, but there are probably more to it than I ever did see due to deleted
tread and timezone who make day in USA when it's night here......

Hopefully evrything going to be like Diki say, things will sort out to be just fine.

Cheers
GJ

#278278 - 01/01/10 07:47 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
124 Offline

I'm in full agreement with Diki's views here. Many fora on the net have a 'preview' button in addition to the 'submit' button. Not so, here. It's a good idea. It does give the 'second thought' a chance to survive.

I'm sure many of us have, at one time or another, hit 'submit' and in the same instant have bitten our tongues. I have. So, Nigel, couldn't a 'preview' button be added here? It's only an OS update, isn't it?

#278279 - 01/01/10 07:54 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
there is an edit button, after posting you cn edit or delete content.

#278280 - 01/01/10 08:00 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

There is also an "edit" button, but it does become pretty useless after we are quoted in a subsequent post.

Ian

#278282 - 01/01/10 08:27 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
Many fora on the net have a 'preview' button in addition to the 'submit' button. Not so, here. It's a good idea. It does give the 'second thought' a chance to survive.

It's also a simple way to do this without add any new functions at all. Just write what
you have to say in any write software as Word, Write, Notepad etc, then read it more than
once before copy and paste into the reply field and push "Send" button.

Happy Posting
GJ

#278283 - 01/01/10 08:36 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
C'mon guys and gals--it's a forum. If everyone were sitting around a big table, belting down drinks and discussing the merits of their arranger keyboards it would be no different. Some folks would be very vociferous, while others would just sit there and take in the atmosphere without saying anything at all. And, if someone got out of line with his or her statements, the management just may opt to eject them. These things happen, especially when there is no direct contact with the individuals you are addressing. It's unfortunate, but true.

I've known DNJ for several years, met with him and his family, enjoyed a couple dinners together, watched him perform and over these many years I've learned a lot from his decades of experience. I consider him a good friend, along with many others on this forum that I have talked with on the telephone and met in person.

As for Nigel being too strict--NAH! There have been times when I thought he was being too lax--but never too strict. Besides, he's the boss here, it's his nickel and over the years he has been very tolerant.

Happy 2010 Everyone,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278284 - 01/01/10 08:59 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
As for Nigel being too strict--NAH! There have been times when I thought he was being too lax--but never too strict. Besides, he's the boss here, it's his nickel and over the years he has been very tolerant.

Agree in that statement Gary.
Through the years as far as I have seen, Nigel also been a very fair/rightful Moderator, but 6 months
'lock out' are quite a long punishment, is'nt it?

Cheers
GJ

#278285 - 01/01/10 09:24 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
i guess its like anything. I used to play semi professional basketball.
What i am saying is that if all you have done for a long time is one thing and it was your passion in life and then you make it your profession , then after a time that hunger and passion will diminish. That hapens with absolutely anything. I think they call it diminishing marginal returns.

I did that too, the basketball. My passion for it hasn't gone away, just the physical ability to do it! I'm starting to feel the same way about golf now. I still enjoy it, but I'm tired of working at it.
Fortunately, I don't feel that way about music yet. When I do, I go buy another keyboard!
DonM

#278286 - 01/01/10 10:11 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Fran, there are no secrets here, I have already said that people can email me directly if they want to know what went down.

The ban on Donny has been reinstated for 6 months before I will consider lifting it. But I am guessing you already knew that Fran. In fact I wonder what your intent was in posting this thread as I am certain you already knew "Where is DNJ's New Year post" before you even started this thread.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-01-2010).]

Nigel, my opening post..stated my intentions..there is no underlining purpose...and since we are on the second page..I guess my job is done..

#278287 - 01/01/10 08:17 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Nigel, my opening post..stated my intentions..there is no underlining purpose...and since we are on the second page..I guess my job is done..

I guess it is lol

#278288 - 01/01/10 08:23 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Agree in that statement Gary.
Through the years as far as I have seen, Nigel also been a very fair/rightful Moderator, but 6 months
'lock out' are quite a long punishment, is'nt it?

Cheers
GJ

Yep it is I admit. But you see this is the third ban he has had over the past 6 months. The first 2 were 30 days and were cut short. But the 3rd time round ... well I simply gotta up the ante. He just will be lurking for a while.

Cheers,
Nigel

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-02-2010).]

#278289 - 01/02/10 12:43 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I've lived many years by the following philosophy: "Nothing and no one in life is irreplaceable (except God)."

That includes DNJ. This is not a reflection on DNJ's worth but more on the group dynamics here. Can't this group make it on it's own without pining over a "DNJ" and begging Nigel to re-instate him?

I didn't see the "New Year's" post, but I'll still say anyway: "you make your bed, you lie in it!"

Lucky

#278290 - 01/02/10 01:11 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
... (except God)..."

...and begging Nigel to re-instate him?

Why involve God into this matters? Remember this is a world wide forum and there may be different
ways of believe who or what is the exceptions.....

It's a difference between begging for re-intstate and discussion about the lenght of punishment,
and yes, whoever disapear or dies, the world goes on and on for a while yet.
Ones dead is anothers bread they say. That's life!

Cheers
GJ

#278291 - 01/02/10 07:09 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:

Why involve God into this matters? Remember this is a world wide forum and there may be different
ways of believe who or what is the exceptions.....

GJ...OK, I'll fix that. It should read "my" God.

Quote:

It's a difference between begging for re-instatement and discussion about the length of punishment,

I don't see a difference between "begging for re-instatement" and questioning the "length of punishment." They're both asking for the same thing. Are my correct?

Anyhow, the point was that every member in this group is fully capable of keeping it going with new subject matter and comments on everyone else's issues. Remember the saying, "necessity is the mother of invention."

Lucky

#278292 - 01/03/10 02:38 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Diki Offline

Lucky, you don't need to amend your post in any way...

You were very specific in saying that YOU had the following philosophy: "Nothing and no one in life is irreplaceable (except God)." Nowhere did you say that we all had that philosophy, or even that we all SHOULD have that philosophy, and no reasonable person ought to object to you airing your viewpoint. They certainly have no problem airing theirs..

And 'God' by itself pretty much covers ALL religions except multi deity faiths. You didn't call YOUR God by name, and your statement is pretty accurate for just about all monotheistic religions.

We keep looking for differences between the faiths, to better shore our own faith perhaps (mind you, if you DO have 'faith', what shoring does it need?) or to justify our intolerance of others, but the truth is, we are FAR closer to each other than we like to admit.

I can't think of a single religion in the world that WOULD argue with your statement. God, no matter what faith you follow, is 'irreplaceable' in ALL faiths.

#278293 - 01/03/10 07:36 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki,

I pretty much thought along the same lines when I did the original post. I amended it to "keep the peace." Anything and everything one posts is going to be inflammatory to someone. I'm trying to keep the inflammation to a minimum lately! It's either do THAT or don't post at all!

There's an old story in psychological circles. The professor held up an all white poster board with a tiny black mark on it in front of the class and asked everyone what they saw. To a man (or a woman...got to watch the inflammatory remarks), they all saw that "black mark." No one saw the "white background."

So the the "white" becomes the euphemism for most messages that get posted, while the "black mark" is the euphemism for the reader's interpretation.

BTW....

"They certainly have no problem airing theirs."

You're absolutely right...I need to think more of that and less about "stepping on toes!"

Lucky

#278294 - 01/04/10 08:36 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Oh well, why involve ANY or ANYONES GOD on fora like this at all?

You know Diki, I think LUcky did reply my question about it very well, and I see that my school learned english
may cause some differences or misunderstandings in the way I read or write sometimes.
If I did hurt anyone by my post, sorry for that. My question are hopefully written in a bettrer way now.....

And I still mean that a question, as in this case, about lenght of punishment are not the same as beg for no action,
but I can see my first post about possibly amnesty (FOR ALL) may be read like that.

Cheers and Peace.
GJ

#278295 - 01/04/10 08:56 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Pacesetter Offline

I'm mostly a lurker and from time to time stop in to post. This is a truly unique forum. Amazing how the discussion moves from DNJ to God!! Wow all over the place. Too bad for a talented educated group, you sure can show your dark side.

#278296 - 01/04/10 02:13 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Point taken, Pacesetter.

My feeling is the reaction to the God comment was a little over blown. Larry's been a great addition to our forum and wasn't trying to be controversial in any way. IMO, what he said wasn't even controversial in the least.

There's also a bit of a language difference between those of us in the US and the member who seemed to take umberage with the God comment...

Just stuff to consider...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-04-2010).]

#278297 - 01/04/10 02:38 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Diki Offline

Well, trust me, if Lucky's post had said nothing in life is irreplaceable other than his Yamaha (or Korg, or whatever), a veritable sh*tstorm of protest would probably have broken out!

So, it's pretty easy to see where most of our priorities lie... What does this say about us that we have more tolerance of different religious views than each others' choice of arranger manufacturer?

And there's no issue with the names of God and Donny being on the same thread. I've used both names in the same sentence many times!

I'm just glad I'm not under any fatwah...

#278298 - 01/04/10 02:46 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm just glad I'm not under any fatwah...

....as far as you know.

chas

#278299 - 01/04/10 03:05 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
....as far as you know.

Donny's Muslim..? I never knew that!

I was more expecting the Spanish Inquisition... Hold on...

NO-ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

#278300 - 01/04/10 04:31 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Bill in Dayton Offline

What's next? An arranger Jihad?

(DISCLAIMER: The above comment was meant only for humor's sake and not meant to offend anyone of any faith whatsoever.)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278301 - 01/04/10 10:38 PM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:

(DISCLAIMER: The above comment was meant only for humor's sake and not meant to offend anyone of any faith whatsoever.)

I'M offended........by the "disclaimer."

Why does it have to be for "humor" only? Do you have something against sad people? Or people who DON'T exhibit humor? Are you trying to differentiate between humorous religions and fundamentalist religions? Are you implying that someone should have a particular faith that embraces humor? What if someone likes to be offended? ...and you qualify your offensive remark to remove the "sting" from it? Aren't you then denying them the right to be masochistic and self-mutilating? Wouldn't you be trampling on the individual rights of people to make a determination whether a statement is offensive or not?

Hey Bill, just taking it to the extreme. Remember what I said...no matter what you write, someone will find it "offensive!"

Back to the drawing board......I'm working on learning Petit Fleur.

Lucky

#278302 - 01/05/10 09:32 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
See, guys! It's unfortunate that Donny's gone (and I'll be glad when/if he's back), but the last 1/2 dozen posts or so are FUNNY, entertaining and show real intelligence and interpersonal skills.

This is the way I like it!

Russ

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online