SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#278275 - 01/01/10 03:29 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill, how do you know these things?..
Are you Nigel's administrative assistant?...

Fran, there are no secrets here, I have already said that people can email me directly if they want to know what went down.

The ban on Donny has been reinstated for 6 months before I will consider lifting it. But I am guessing you already knew that Fran. In fact I wonder what your intent was in posting this thread as I am certain you already knew "Where is DNJ's New Year post" before you even started this thread.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-01-2010).]

#278276 - 01/01/10 03:41 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It is so strange... I am sure that if Donny and I were to meet, were to hang out, maybe even play together, we would get on just fine. But somehow, the printed word brings out things that we would NEVER do in person to each other. The anonymity of it, the misunderstood phrase, the poorly worded concept, the inability of even smilies to put the right nuance on what we write, and enmity develops that face to face conversation never (or usually never!) engenders.

Truly sad. We are supposed to be a brotherhood (and sisterhood, in deference to the 'lack of women' thread ) but here, so often, only the worst aspects of sibling rivalry comes through, rather than the underlying fraternal love that usually smooths it out in the real world.

For my part, I am truly sorry that what I have written here has helped make what was a very popular poster here into a very bitter member. Now, don't get me wrong, I stand by what I write (or I don't write it!), but I truly regret that it was taken the wrong way. I am sure that face to face, we could say the same things to each other (or at least, all but the most bitter) and no-one would get their feelings hurt, but writing, and reading what others write, is truly a different form of communication to talking.

I sincerely hope that, when Donny's current ban is lifted, he can come back here and we all start afresh, and the only digits raised are thumbs...

#278277 - 01/01/10 04:29 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
The ban on Donny has been reinstated for 6 months before I will consider lifting it.

I have to say you're a kind of strict/hard when ban for as long as 6 months who seem to be
quite a long period, but there are probably more to it than I ever did see due to deleted
tread and timezone who make day in USA when it's night here......

Hopefully evrything going to be like Diki say, things will sort out to be just fine.

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#278278 - 01/01/10 07:47 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
124 Offline

I'm in full agreement with Diki's views here. Many fora on the net have a 'preview' button in addition to the 'submit' button. Not so, here. It's a good idea. It does give the 'second thought' a chance to survive.

I'm sure many of us have, at one time or another, hit 'submit' and in the same instant have bitten our tongues. I have. So, Nigel, couldn't a 'preview' button be added here? It's only an OS update, isn't it?

#278279 - 01/01/10 07:54 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
there is an edit button, after posting you cn edit or delete content.

#278280 - 01/01/10 08:00 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
There is also an "edit" button, but it does become pretty useless after we are quoted in a subsequent post.

Ian

#278282 - 01/01/10 08:27 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
Many fora on the net have a 'preview' button in addition to the 'submit' button. Not so, here. It's a good idea. It does give the 'second thought' a chance to survive.

It's also a simple way to do this without add any new functions at all. Just write what
you have to say in any write software as Word, Write, Notepad etc, then read it more than
once before copy and paste into the reply field and push "Send" button.

Happy Posting
GJ

#278283 - 01/01/10 08:36 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
C'mon guys and gals--it's a forum. If everyone were sitting around a big table, belting down drinks and discussing the merits of their arranger keyboards it would be no different. Some folks would be very vociferous, while others would just sit there and take in the atmosphere without saying anything at all. And, if someone got out of line with his or her statements, the management just may opt to eject them. These things happen, especially when there is no direct contact with the individuals you are addressing. It's unfortunate, but true.

I've known DNJ for several years, met with him and his family, enjoyed a couple dinners together, watched him perform and over these many years I've learned a lot from his decades of experience. I consider him a good friend, along with many others on this forum that I have talked with on the telephone and met in person.

As for Nigel being too strict--NAH! There have been times when I thought he was being too lax--but never too strict. Besides, he's the boss here, it's his nickel and over the years he has been very tolerant.

Happy 2010 Everyone,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278284 - 01/01/10 08:59 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
As for Nigel being too strict--NAH! There have been times when I thought he was being too lax--but never too strict. Besides, he's the boss here, it's his nickel and over the years he has been very tolerant.

Agree in that statement Gary.
Through the years as far as I have seen, Nigel also been a very fair/rightful Moderator, but 6 months
'lock out' are quite a long punishment, is'nt it?

Cheers
GJ

#278285 - 01/01/10 09:24 AM Re: Where is DNJ's New Year post?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
i guess its like anything. I used to play semi professional basketball.
What i am saying is that if all you have done for a long time is one thing and it was your passion in life and then you make it your profession , then after a time that hunger and passion will diminish. That hapens with absolutely anything. I think they call it diminishing marginal returns.

I did that too, the basketball. My passion for it hasn't gone away, just the physical ability to do it! I'm starting to feel the same way about golf now. I still enjoy it, but I'm tired of working at it.
Fortunately, I don't feel that way about music yet. When I do, I go buy another keyboard!
DonM

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online