SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277922 - 12/22/09 03:40 PM Psr S900 and aftertouch control
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
I play my Psr s900 from an external controller with aftertouch. I can see the Psr senses the aftertouch message but it doesn't affect the sound and I can't find the way to edit the sound in order to be modulated by the aftertouch message. Why does it have a Midi Receive setting including the aftertouch item then? This function works fine with my Pa500
Thanks

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#277923 - 01/10/10 04:20 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Mystic Jammer Offline

Loc: quebec
I wonder if someone try that with a psr-s910 ?

would like to but a great controler with after touch for mine but wonder if that will work...

thanks
Y.
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

#277924 - 01/10/10 06:13 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Have you tried using a MIDI processor (or a laptop, inline) to convert aftertouch MIDI messages into modulation messages? Maybe your controller can be programmed to send it instead?

If the PSR's CAN'T do anything with aftertouch, at least they CAN with modulation...

#277925 - 01/11/10 06:41 AM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Beakybird Offline

I have never been able to play a T2 or T3.

Would aftertouch affect the sound of the S.A. voices?

With many of the S.A. voices, like the Classical or Flamenco Guitar or the Sax, the sound gets muffled - or unarticulated - during quick keyboard runs.

On the S910, I could never get the sound of a flamenco guitarist playing a quick scale - at least not with the S.A. Flamenco Guitar voice - I would have to use the S.A. Nylon Guitar.

I'm wondering if the problem is due to lack of aftertouch or if it's just a limitation with some of the S.A. voices.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 01-12-2010).]

#277926 - 01/11/10 03:56 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Diki Offline

Aftertouch is primarily used to introduce vibrato on a sound, or occasionally open up a filter on pads, but it would have little effect at all on a quick run. You usually have to hold a note at least for a while to be able to add the extra pressure (it's nothing to do with speed) needed to make the aftertouch effect noticeable...

On another note, I'm also not a big fan of aftertouch triggerable OS actions, like fills or variation changes. Maybe it's just me, but I play a bit too heavy to avoid accidentally triggering the action when I DON'T want it. After all, the aftertouch value is the SUM of the pressure on the keys all over the keyboard (virtually no keyboards out there that can distinguish between pressure at the top or the bottom end of the keyboard). Some others seem to get on it OK, but I'd be surprised if they came from a good piano playing background. Organ touch is light enough to get by I suppose, but piano requires a bit more 'force', not just speed, IMO...

#277927 - 01/12/10 02:37 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
vagro Offline

In my Pa500 the sound is modified acording to the way the sound is programmed, ie changing filter cut off (pad sounds), pitch (harmonica), modulation (flutes). In the Psr s900 nothing changes after sending the aftertouch message which I verified was sensed in the Midi receive chart. With my MS as a controller I can program the desired aftertouch effect for the internal sounds not for the external sounds (I use older 2.5 OS). In the same way using my Korg Tr as a controller no aftertouch effect is applied to the Psr either. May be Yamaha included the aftertouch (AT) receive function in the Psr line (with no AT keys) just for using external controllers which can send specific effects no "pure" AT messages.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#277928 - 01/13/10 02:28 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Diki Offline

You can't get the MS to send AT? And this is the 'future'?

I think I'll stick to my 'primitive' closed one, thank you very much! What is the OS going to have to get up to before the MS has all the BASIC stuff that closed ones have had for years? You know, like simple ON BASS bass inversions, and the like?

I still can't believe that the open fanboys can give such a glowing description of a piece of gear that, were these fundamental features missing on a bloody Casio, for Pete's sake, they'd tear it a new one!

Maybe they ARE the future... but it's a future I want no part of

#277929 - 01/13/10 02:45 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
I think what Vagro is saying is that his Korg Tr and the MS does not activate the PSR After touch function, Not that the Korg and MS cannot send AT.

Hi Vagro
I am not familiar with the PSR, but most instruments allow you to filter out the controller codes you don’t need, so make sure the PSR is not blocking AT. (Alternatively it may need to be turned on)

Hope this helps

Bill

#277930 - 01/13/10 03:18 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
Diki Offline

Sorry, Bill, but vagro is pretty specific that the MS didn't SEND AT externally (but may have misstated what he meant). And said nothing about the Korg not being able to send it (in fact, he was pretty specific that it DID), nor did I mention that.

The thing is, what is most likely is that the PSR's ROM voices are not programmed to DO anything when they receive AT. Not that the PSR isn't getting it, or filtered out, or whatever. The voice programmers probably worked with the actual PSR to create the voices, and as the keyboard didn't send AT, never made the effort to make sure that, if it received it over MIDI that it WOULD do something. To be honest, there's a LOT of keyboards like that.

In a WS, you usual's have the voice editing capability to edit the voice to do something when AT is received, but on Yamaha's budget arranger line, I doubt it. But vagro, were I you, I would take a close look at what parameters the custom voice editing gives you. If you can assign AT to control vibrato etc. at that point, you are good to go. But you will have to create custom voices for everything you want it on.

If not, you are screwed...

Last resort, as I said earlier, the voices DO respond to modulation wheel. You only need a controller flexible enough to convert AT into mod wheel, or a laptop or MIDI processor capable of this, and you are back in business.

If it turns out that, although the PSR's CAN receive AT but the voices do nothing with it, AND you can't assign it to do anything with the voice editor, THEN that's when I would start to make a fuss at Yamaha for being so cheapskate. The least they could do is allow AT to control Mod wheel... Might even be possible with an OS update...

Oops! What was I THINKING! Yamaha, doing something useful with an OS update?

That'll be the day. Better wait for the PSR S920...!

#277931 - 01/13/10 03:21 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Hi.

I had a similar question when I bought my 3000. I emailed Yamaha Canada and this was what they said -

"Greetings from Yamaha Canada Music,

I was forwarded your email.

Only our TYROS and TYROS 2 (the models up from the PSR-3000) have actual after-touch which can be applied to their onboard panel voices. The PSR-3000 on it's own cannot produce after touch so the onboard panel voices and it's XG voices can't receive these messgaes.

As you have noticed, only via an external controller that produces after touch can the 3000 receive these messages.

As far as an XG chart (each PSR-3000) comes with a data list which can also be downloaded from this site http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php

Type in PSR-3000 and save the data list.

Regards,

..."

I think the key part of this is "...so the onboard panel voices and it's XG voices can't receive these messgaes..."

Hope this helps,
Dan

P.S. I know messages is spelled wrong in the quote. It is a quote...

[This message has been edited by big741.1 (edited 01-13-2010).]

#277932 - 01/13/10 06:27 PM Re: Psr S900 and aftertouch control
vagro Offline

Diki: yes the MS actually sends AT messages, what I haven't been able to do is to change the effect in the AT message itself, for example as a mod wheel, resonance etc for the EXTERNAL keyboard. The MS sounds do respond to those parameters changes. My Korg TR as far as I know does not offer the possibility to send specific AT messages. I think controller keyboards send a "pure" AT message that modifies the slave sound according to how it was programmed OR a specially programmed AT message as Mod wheel etc. My MS is used in a very primitive way since I have no interest in wasting my time learning how to program a computer (at the moment). The worst thing of it as a controller with this old OS is that I haven't been able to adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard (with the very precise set of parameters it has) for the EXTERNAL keyboard NOT for the MS sounds, so I have to play more softly to get the desired effect with the SA voices.
On the other hand the PSR senses AT messages but it doesn't modify the sound because there is no editing possibilities for AT in the sounds. The PA500 has editing parameters for AT and the internal sounds have different responses to AT according to how they were programmed. I just wondered why the PSR has a special item for AT in the Midi set up if it is useless. If you program AT as a mod wheel in the controller keyboard the PSR will receive a mod wheel message not AT message I guess.

Hi Abacus: yes I already checked the AT receive item, one of the few filter options the PSR has, was activated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online