SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#277510 - 12/12/09 07:43 AM Let's bash something else
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's a quote from PSR Tutorial forum concerning problems with the PSRS910.
Was it released too soon? Is Yamaha in financial trouble because of it?
Of course I'm joking, but the quote and problem are real.

"Hello from Canada;
Four weeks ago tomorrow, I took my 910 back for repairs..... the operating system wouldn't boot up. Called them this week, (Yamaha), and was told that they had so many repairs in, that the technician hadn't even looked at it.
When me dealer heard that (Long & McQuaig), they immediately offered to just swap it for a new one, and when mine returns, they'll just put it on the floor for demos/tryouts. We did that; goes to show how important it is to deal with a reputable dealer."

DonM

#277511 - 12/12/09 08:25 AM Re: Let's bash something else
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fortunately, the guy that posted that said later that he worked with the retailer, and within the next week he should have a brand new S-910.

I've read several posts where the display of the S-900 has dropped dead, a problem that in most instances occurred when the keyboard was a month or two out of warranty. As it turned out, this was a very expensive repair, and there is no warranty on the repaired item, which is a bummer as well.

I ordered an S-910, it was DOA because of a defective power supply, but I was able to make it operable using the PSR-3000 power supply, which is identical. The keyboard had other problems as well, buttons surrounding the display that didn't function properly, a couple other buttons that failed intermittently, and radical volume changes on the SA voices. I called the retailer, sent it back and got a full refund.

Since then, I had an opportunity to play the T3, which is touted as Yamaha's TOTL arranger keyboard. It has some incredible features, but I found the sounds were less than I would have anticipated for this board. Even after tweaking and tuning the board using settings posted by Pose, I was still not impressed.

Guess I'll stick with the PSR-3000 until something earthshaking comes along.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277512 - 12/12/09 10:04 AM Re: Let's bash something else
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Gary....

I share the same feelings...My old PSR-2000 takes a good "lickin" and keeps on "tickin".

As old and outdated as this keyboard is, I still like it a lot.....I am not dis-respecting the newer boards and there certainly are better boards out there, but this old board still pleases me a lot..

Ron
------------------
createsongstyles.com
fakesheets.com

[This message has been edited by rphillipchuk (edited 12-12-2009).]

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#277513 - 12/12/09 10:08 AM Re: Let's bash something else
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Double Post...Sorry about this...Forgot to take my pills this morning !!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#277514 - 12/12/09 11:30 PM Re: Let's bash something else
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Anybody remembers PSR9000Pro and the whole series that had problem with Syng?
Tracks going out of synth? There was thousands of them.

#277515 - 12/13/09 12:10 AM Re: Let's bash something else
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
Anybody remembers PSR9000Pro and the whole series that had problem with Syng?
Tracks going out of synth? There was thousands of them.

The 9000 Pro sync issue and other problems were due to a central processor that was far too slow and could not be upgraded. The 9000 Pro was essentially various Yamaha sound modules slapped together in a chassis that was a large interface for all of the modules. The problem was the integration of the modules was never complete and as such there were lots of bugs. The Expansion module integration was especially weak and most of the expansion module features couldn't even be altered via the data wheel. The MIDI Timecode was atrocious and syncing the 9000 Pro successfully to other devices was near impossible.

The 9000 Pro was a great concept that was obviously not well thought out prior to its fruition. Had Yamaha actually used a better CPU and finished the software the 9000 Pro could have been a great seller for them.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online