SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#277437 - 12/09/09 05:44 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Since I too plan to upgrade to Windows7 sooner (Jan 2010) than later, I'll take your lead and utilize the free version of WinPatrol until then. Thanks everyone for all the advice and recommendations. - Scott

#277438 - 12/09/09 11:21 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
@ Tony
I trust you have tested your Computer capabilities for Windows 7?
You can get the windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from MS...it is advisable!
In my case, it told me that several of my programmes will need updating and some will not work at all with Windows 7.
cheers
Eddie

#277439 - 12/10/09 06:52 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the warning but I'm buying a new computer rather than installing Windows 7 on this one.
I already expected that some of my programs (which I cannot manage without) will not run on Windows 7 so, with that in mind, I am moving my present computer to the spare bedroom and keeping it for as long as it's needed, so that I can continue to use my old programs when necessary and also have a spare to use for when my other half takes over the one in the lounge.

I do wish that Microsoft would make more effort with "compatibility Modes" - it's a real pain when you want or need to upgrade but have important (to me, anyway) software which may not run on the new machine.

I might run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor anyway, to give me an idea of how many of my programs I can move over and how many will have to be replaced eventually - thanks again for the tip.
Best wishes,
Tony

#277440 - 12/10/09 11:15 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sorry to change the path a bit..but Bill, am I the only one that prefers Vista over XP?
Can you email me about the negatives that I am apparently not aware of?

I find Vista to be a better file search, and literally all my programs run smoother on Vista..I also have fewer if any conflicts with drivers for soft synths with Vista..

I have heard many folks down Vista, but in all honesty it is better than my other 4 PC's running XP professional...What am I missing?..

#277441 - 12/10/09 11:24 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Fran,

It's all good.

Just think of Windows 7 as Vista w/SP3.

(which a lot of folks do think of it as)

True story....Vista in Microsoft talk is Internal Version number 6. Windows 7 is Internal Version number 6.1.

But I gotta say, we are loving Windows 7 here on campus. We jumped from XP to Windows 7 and we ain't lookin' back.

-mike

#277442 - 12/10/09 12:14 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Tony,
I changed my PC last year for my AMD Athlon Dual Core 3800 and kept my older one for "experimenting"!
Anything I am not sure about I try out first on the old one and if it goes through OK, then I add it to my new one!
I sometimes spend best part of a day just trying out new downloads on the old one looking for possible problems.
My spare bedroom hasn't got enough room for the old one, it's so full of gear I bought long ago, no longer use, but can't bring myself to take it to the tip!
I count myself a TRUE Yorkshireman (with just a little scottish blood)
cheers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online