SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277427 - 12/08/09 04:40 PM Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Everyone. Happy Holidays!

I'm (still) running Windows XP and have AVG 9 Free , SpySweeper , and AusLogics BootSpeed but now need a good 'Startup Management' utility to help improve system boot up speed. One of particular interest is WinPatrol because in addition to startup management, it also offers a security monitoring different than SpySweeper provides. Anybody have experience with WinPatrol? I'm interested in hearing what other members use/recommend for a startup manager(other than the rather limited one thats included with Windows XP). Thanks. - Scott

#277428 - 12/08/09 05:12 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Scott,
I'm using WinPatrol and have been very happy with it.
Good for sorting your startup sequence and for preventing other programs from entering themselves into the startup. Also informed me of some background programs I wasn't aware of and generally keeps a good watch on what's happening.
Tony

#277429 - 12/09/09 12:27 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Scott,
Season's Greetings to you.
The "Winpatrol" app looks neat.
How different is it , I wonder from what is already within your Windows XP....
if you type in 'services.msc' in the "run" box of your PC something very similar is reachable....

#277430 - 12/09/09 08:16 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tony, thanks for the valuable input. Do you recommend upgrading to 'WinPatrol Plus' or simply using the free version?

Hi Eddie, I don't know the way 'services.msc' works , but in addition to WinPatrol's 'heuristic behavior' type security monitor, it offers far greater startup set customability than the WindowsXP built in startup mgr.

Scott

#277431 - 12/09/09 10:17 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hello Scott,
At the moment, I'm still using the free version of WinPatrol - seems to meet my needs for the time being.
I would think that the paid for version does far more but I shall be getting a new computer within the next couple of months and, if I decide to upgrade, I may well upgrade at that time.
I once tried services.msc which, as Eddie says, does something similar but I like WinPatrol's front end which makes it so easy to use.
Tony

#277432 - 12/09/09 10:45 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
Hello Scott,
At the moment, I'm still using the free version of WinPatrol - seems to meet my needs for the time being.
I would think that the paid for version does far more but I shall be getting a new computer within the next couple of months and, if I decide to upgrade, I may well upgrade at that time.
I once tried services.msc which, as Eddie says, does something similar but I like WinPatrol's front end which makes it so easy to use.
Tony

Hi Tony
If you’re having a new computer then it should come with Windows 7. (Assuming a PC)
(Don’t let then try to fob you off with Vista as it is total crap)
The start-up manager in Windows 7 is available from Control Panel and leaves the XP version for dead. (Its security features for program detection is also way up there)
My advice therefore, is don’t upgrade to the paid for version of WinPatrol until you have seen what Windows 7 provides.
Hope this helps

Bill

#277433 - 12/09/09 10:46 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks Anthony and Scott...you both make valid points.
I will try the free version and see what I think.
cheers for the link.
Eddie

#277434 - 12/09/09 11:43 AM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Scottyee Offline

Ok. I was also recommended to checkout a program dedicated solely to STARTUP MANAGEMENT called Absolute Startup Manager , of which provides a full 'description' of what each of your startup files actually does, plus tells you which ones essential to remain enabled, and which ones can be safely disabled. Does WinPatrol include the above?

Absolute Startup also allows you to create custom 'startup sets'. I assume WinPatrol does as well.

I realize Absolute Startup isn't free but its got a 21 day fully functioning free trial, then $29.95 to purchase it if you like it.

Anybody here use/recommend Absolute Startup for people running Windows XP?

Scott

#277435 - 12/09/09 05:14 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info & advice - I actually put off buying a new computer until Windows 7 appeared because I was determined not to have Vista after reading so many adverse reports.
Win 7 sounds pretty good (according to the users - & not just Microsoft, which is the important bit) and I'm looking forward to using it.

I have heard of problems with some programs in Win 7 64 bit and I do think Microsoft should make all the details a little clearer and also include their XP compatability download to users of Win 7 Home Premium - the PC which I'm looking at comes with Home premium 64 bit so that's the only thing which is making me hesitate at the moment.
Tony

#277436 - 12/09/09 05:36 PM Re: Seek 3rd party 'Startup Manager' for Windows XP
Anthony Johnson Offline

Hi Scott,
Have never come across Absolute Startup Manager before.

Can tell you that Winpatrol does give info on all the programs in startup but the info is rather limited unless you have the paid-for version. Don't know whether you are aware that there are also hidden startup programs which WinPatrol does disclose.
You can alter your startup set with WinPatrol but, as far as I know, you can't create different custom startup sets with the free version.
Besides the startup (& hidden startup programs) are you aware of all the services which are running in the background - again, these can be looked at with Windows Task Manager but, on XP, it's pretty basic.

As I shall shortly be moving on to Windows 7, I will no doubt manage with the Win 7 startup manager (thanks to Bill's timely advice) but have been glad of Winpatrol in the meantime.
Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online