SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277414 - 12/07/09 04:48 PM Facebook
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
For those of you who are somewhat active on Facebook, what is the advantage, if any, over email and the Forum?

Glenn

#277415 - 12/07/09 05:34 PM Re: Facebook
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Glenn...
I don't qualify as "active" any more. Some family members got me involved for a while and I found it semi-interesting for about a month...then, rather useless. A little later, I read about the "partnering" going on between Facebook and third parties and the exchange of information about its members (most notably of late, Blockbuster sharing their cardholders rental information with Facebook) and that did it for me. Now, I see some of my family has also de-activated their FB accounts.

I DO think all the dumb crooks, mother stabbers and father rapers should have an account. Law enforcement thinks so to.
Eddie

#277416 - 12/07/09 05:53 PM Re: Facebook
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
FB is one of the greatest achievements in the history of the world. It is absolutely staggering how fast it has grown. In 5 years, they have 350 million users. The growth is 600,000 per DAY. I don't like it that much, it's much too silly for me. But... it is where the world is right now. I like connecting with old friends but day to day commenting... I don't do that much.

I built a forum for my small town in the past 30 days. I cannot get them to do much at all for Facebook. I am not kidding, these people are addicted to FB. I wish I would have bought stock. The 25 year old something that founded it is worth 2 Billion dollars in five years. How could this be possible? Only on the internet. It is almost unfathomable. Is that a word?

#277417 - 12/07/09 06:14 PM Re: Facebook
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
For me it's reconnecting with old high school friends I haven't seem or talked to in over 40 years. It's like no time has passed. I too don't play farmville or post on a daily bssis. But as a tool for find long lost friends, IMO it can't be beat.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#277418 - 12/07/09 07:05 PM Re: Facebook
124 Offline

I don't use Facebook, and not that I'd use it either, but isn't Twitter the big thing now? As far as promoting one's music, MySpace is supposed to be the best one to use. I don't reallly know what differentiates one from the other, though.

#277419 - 12/08/09 01:04 AM Re: Facebook
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
I don't use Facebook, and not that I'd use it either, but isn't Twitter the big thing now? As far as promoting one's music, MySpace is supposed to be the best one to use. I don't reallly know what differentiates one from the other, though.

I think Twitter trend is down. FB is straight up. I repeat... 600,000 people per down join FB around the world.

FB is fast becoming a key component of the internet. Would you say that Google is a key component? Yep. And FB is in that category. And my comment about I wish I would have bought stock was actually a dumb comment because it's a private company. They have continued to refuse to go public. Yet.

Since I built this new forum for my small town over a period of months, and have had very little success getting members to participate, I have watched FB pretty closely. It is unbelievable how "addicted" people become. It becomes part of their life! And forecasters say you ain't seen nothing yet.

To me, it's silly to post "I have a headache" or "I'm going to the grocery store" and actually think that it's worthwhile to share that. Yet, people do it and others respond.,, "Oh... I heard bananas are on sale, get some bananas." I mean, who cares?

Another biggie is people sharing photos, including photos they take with their cell phones of daily life activities... an extension of their own eyeballs.

Women, especially, become addicted to the silly games. I've never played any of them but it's amazing to watch. Although, it sure does clutter up the inbox. Why should I care that Margie bought a goat in Farmville?

Another interesting thing is that computer novices get on FB. I know people who can barely turn on a computer and become regular FB groupies.

Aha! I found the article I was looking for. This is something I read a few days ago...
http://www.slate.com/id/2237376/

#277420 - 12/08/09 10:26 AM Re: Facebook
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
So what's the differance between myspace and facebook? Is myspace more for teens and facebook for grown ups?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#277421 - 12/08/09 11:24 AM Re: Facebook
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
So what's the differance between myspace and facebook? Is myspace more for teens and facebook for grown ups?

Myspace started out for musicians. Facebook started out for those in college or college graduates. Myspace became a big deal with teens. Facebook become big with the general population when FB relaxed to rules, making it open to everyone.

FB is an interesting study in human behaviour. It is just so amazingly hot. Why people gravitate to such nonsense (in my opinion), is interesting. I like it to connect with old friends but the day to day stuff, I just don't get it. Women are especially drawn to FB. It's like people post whatever they think about. I mean, a fleeting thought is often posted, not meaningful content. And tons of people are literally addicted to the FB games.

I guarantee you this -- it would seem that TV revenue has been greatly diminished by the internet. People spend SO much time online. I know I do, it's just not on FB.

#277422 - 12/08/09 11:43 AM Re: Facebook
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Joined face book myself a while back to see what all the buzz was about. Instantly had old school mates tracking me down which was kind of cool, but beyond that it's actually sad to see the nonsense people go on about.

If I were that bored I'd probably like Face Book, but man I'd have to be really desperate.

James.

#277423 - 12/08/09 12:14 PM Re: Facebook
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sincerely believe that the reason so many people spend loads of time on the Internet is because there isn't much to watch on TV, and this time of year, there's not much those of us who live up north can do outdoors.

As for a media to promote your music business, I doubt that it would be beneficial.

For finding old, high-school and college friends, yep, you'll find a lot of them doing just what others on Face Book are doing--NOTHING WORTHWHILE!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277424 - 12/08/09 04:08 PM Re: Facebook
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
"One" click and you're someone's "friend". Kinda cheapens the meaning of what friendship is all about.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277425 - 12/09/09 05:26 AM Re: Facebook
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm on FB and I like that I can see what friends are doing and saying - no matter how mundane. I stay away from apps and most gifts. To me, the apps are nothing more than cheap games and info grabbers for third parties. Tests and surveys are so poorly written that they mean absolutely nothing. I've readjusted my profile to limit who sees my info, especially audio-video. This way I'm not bothered by strangers looking for "friends".

#277426 - 12/09/09 03:07 PM Re: Facebook
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have had over 1000 downloads of my songs I have available through facebook. They are on box.net but a link is in facebook.
I just got an unsolicited order for my latest CD with 10 original songs on it even though several of them are available through facebook for free download.
Go Figure????
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online