SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277205 - 12/04/09 09:19 AM Effective arranger keyboard lesson
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Friends,
My 11 year old seems not progressing on his regular piano lesson. I'd like to jumpstart him into arranger playing lesson. Maybe this could change things around. I know he has natural abilities in music. He started to sing when he's just barely 2 years old and in the right pitch and timing. Any suggestion on lessons offered online or DVDs?
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#277206 - 12/04/09 09:25 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Jimmy,
Give Scott Langholff's approach of on-line lessons a try.
He uses skype.
http://scottlmusic.com/

Lee S.

#277207 - 12/04/09 10:01 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
To me, having him understand basic chord theory is crucial. If he can learn to play chords, he can have a ball on an arranger. It's how I taught myself to play. I would also have him learn scales, something I have yet to do, haha. Pitiful, isn't it.

#277208 - 12/04/09 10:05 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Jimmy,
Give Scott Langholff's approach of on-line lessons a try.
He uses skype.
http://scottlmusic.com/

Lee S.

Hmmm, that's interesting!

#277209 - 12/04/09 10:42 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
synerjim Offline

I'll give Scott a call.
Thanks folks.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#277210 - 12/04/09 10:47 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
synerjim Offline

I'll give Scott a call.
Thanks folks.

#277211 - 12/07/09 06:09 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I run a music school and can do it online with webcam and a complete set of conference tools through WebEx. I am a triple-certified teacher of the Scott Houston Piano in a FLash method, and am currently working on my second music degree.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Jeff

------------------

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#277212 - 12/07/09 06:10 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
Sorry, Here's my contact info:

620-660-1899

korg4god@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/korg4god1

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#277213 - 12/07/09 06:57 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Today I thank God that I had a father who, when I was a lad and started sluffing off on the practicing, took enough interest in my narrow behind to make good and sure I kept at it regardless of my thoughts on the subject.

I know that kind of discipline is not the in thing for a lot of folks today, it really wasn't the in thing when my dad did it either, but today I can play the piano and the B3 all by myself and without autoaccompaniment if I so desire and still can be very entertaining, usually moreso than when using autoaccompaniment.

Mozart's father was very influential and even disciplinary about it also. Not that I'm a Mozart, mind you, I'm certainly NOT.

One time when I was about 12, my father passed through the livingroom where our piano lived as I was practicing.

He said, "You know, when Mozart was your age, he'd already written several symphonies and operas..."

And I fired back, "And when he was YOUR age, he'd already been dead for 7 years!"

Do whatever you can to keep your son practicing.

Find a recital that he must prepare for.

Make one if you have to.

Church, Music Teacher's store location may have recitals, or any performance oriented siuation where he must work up a piece and then perform it.

He will learn that the applause is worth it.

Especially when that cute little girl suddenly notices HIM...

Tell him the old joke about the two musicians on the street and one asks the other for directions:

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Man, you gotta PRACTICE!!

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#277214 - 12/07/09 08:10 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
When I was taking accordion lessons, I hit a time when I just did not want to practice the lessons, but wanted to play ... so I stopped taking lessons, but continued to play ... my parents were friends with my accordion teacher and told him that I played every day, but wasn't practicing scales or anything like that ... the teacher suggested that they not allow me to play the accordion ... I didn't for a while but then 'gave in' and went back to lessons ... I remember that it was almost one year to the day from my prior lesson ...
t.

#277215 - 12/07/09 08:43 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
Bachus Offline

Everyone reaches those points where you stop progression for months or even longer...

The only trick is to keep hanging in there...

My daughter is playing both piano style and arranger style on a 76 key arranger... while playign arranger yields results faster and keeps her having fun in music, playing piano could be more rewarding in the long run...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#277216 - 12/07/09 11:35 PM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
synerjim Offline

Great comments and tips. Actually this is my boy's 3rd time taking lessons. The previous two is kind of stop'n go, whatever-comes thing and I did not paid attention. But this time i'll try my best to get him achieve decent playing skills. I'm looking forward on the day that he can actually play with me.
Jim

#277217 - 12/08/09 01:38 AM Re: Effective arranger keyboard lesson
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online