SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#277141 - 12/03/09 07:55 AM Electric keyboard warmer
Beakybird Offline

I just purchased this battery powered electric blanket for my keyboard: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/sofl12voheel.html?site=google_base.

Let's see how it works. My car, a 2007 Kia Optima, has an electric outlet in the trunk where I always keep one of my PSR-S910's. Normally, on super cold days, I lug the keyboard inside to warm up. Sometimes I forget, and when I get to my job, the keyboard is frozen, and I risk ruining the electronics by turning on the keyboard too soon.

The plan is to keep the blanket in my gig bag over the keyboard. On a really cold day, I would unzip the gig bag to fish out the electric blanket's cigarette lighter plug and plug it into the car's outlet. Then when I'm driving the keyboard will get warmed up, hopefully not fried! Hopefully, the blanket will warm up my speakers a litle too!

Do you think this is risky? Fire in my trunk? Exploding car? Melted keyboard?

Beakybird

#277142 - 12/03/09 08:06 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A quick read of the specs says that this thing heats to 131 degrees, has no temp regulation other than on/off, and in 10 minutes reaches the maximum temp ... I don't know if I would want my kb going from freezing cold to 131 in 10 minutes ... in fact, I don't think I EVER want my kb at freezing cold, OR 131 degrees ...
I think you have to 'bite the bullet' and take that baby inside ....
JMHO ...
t.

#277143 - 12/03/09 08:28 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Beakybird Offline

Thanks Tony. I don't think there is any danger of a keyboard being in the cold, as long as it is thawed slowly.

I didn't read the spec of no temperature control.

What I am inclined to try is to put the blanket over the keyboard's padded gig bag to just warm the keyboard up a little bit. Inside the gig bag, I keep a piece of foam on top of the keyboard, so between the foam, the gig bag, and all of cables and stuff I keep in the pockets, I suspect the keyboard would warm up just a little bit during a typical half hour ride to a show.

I'll give it a try, and tell you how it works.

Beakybird

#277144 - 12/03/09 08:45 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As you said, Larry, if the instrument warms up too quickly, you will get moisture (condensation) and that can cause problems.

I never leave my keyboard(s) in the car, regardless of the weather.

That's why I bought/use a lightweight instrument...so I don't mind moving it.

This is coming from a very lazy guy.

Ian

#277145 - 12/03/09 10:11 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
My gear rarely comes out of the van. Much of this is due to the fact that I perform daily, often 5 to 7 days a week, and during the dead of winter the schedule often includes doubles. The car rarely gets too warm in summer because I NEVER park in direct sunlight. Temperatures inside your car can reach 160 or more degrees, especially if you have a dark colored vehicle.

In the winter, temperatures can fall to zero or below here, but the norm is usually 30 to 40 degrees. If the equipment is going to be used in a warm, moist environment, the first thing I do is turn on my Turbo Fan and aim it directly at the keyboard. This does a great job in preventing any condensation from forming and warms the equipment up fairly fast.

I only knew of one individual that used an electric blanket to keep his keyboard warm. The blanket ran his battery down to the point where his car wouldn't start the next day. He threw the blanket in the trash that afternoon.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#277146 - 12/03/09 02:30 PM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Try spooning. Feels nice and cozy plus it'll make those ballads sound better than ever.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277147 - 12/03/09 02:49 PM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Try spooning. Feels nice and cozy plus it'll make those ballads sound better than ever.

Taike

lol.....

#277148 - 12/03/09 04:16 PM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Unless you live where there are actuall subzero temperatures often, this is a bad idea.

*That blanket thing could burn yer car down. Worst case scenario, but it exists.

*That blanket thing could run your battery down. Forget to unplug it one time and come out into the cold after a gig and your keyboard won't be the only one freezing their butt off...

*For a half hour trip, this is a non-problem. The car heater will also have something to say about the ambient temperature and even if you place the keyboard in the trunk, a half hour is simply not enough time to be concerned about the electronics and the cold.

But 131 degrees is too high for the silicon junctions AND the plastics.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#277149 - 12/03/09 08:41 PM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Beakybird Offline

Well I guess I am very lazy. I'm getting scared away from this idea.

The blanket wouldn't go over the plastic of the keyboard but over the gig bag or on the floor of the trunk with the keyboard stand and then the keyboard on top of it. I was thinking of pluggin the blanket into a battery pack instead of the car's outlet to avoid running down the battery or destroying the alternator.

But the one thing I'm scared of would be a fire. I've heard that these blankets sometimes short out and catch fire. If an electric blanket catches fire in a bed, it can usually be patted out and unplugged. In the trunk of a car, I would never notice it. And a car runs on gas.

Sounds like a bad idea. Too bad it shipped already. I'll have to return it and pay for shipping both ways.

Beakybird

#277150 - 12/03/09 09:14 PM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
zuki Offline

Just keep it for your wife to warm her while you're away

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#277151 - 12/04/09 02:12 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Taike Offline

Makes a nice donation to a needy person.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277152 - 12/04/09 05:30 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Makes a nice donation to a needy person.

Taike

That's just what I'll do. I'll consider the spooning idea after I get permission from my wife.

Beakybird

#277153 - 12/04/09 07:45 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
That's just what I'll do. I'll consider the spooning idea after I get permission from my wife.

Beakybird

It'll warm your and the receiver's heart.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277154 - 12/04/09 09:08 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
With this many keyboardists around, I'm sure you will have no problem finding someone to keep the wife warm while you are slaving away at the gig! *grin*
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#277155 - 12/04/09 10:18 AM Re: Electric keyboard warmer
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Don't catch your car on fire..OK...:-)
Lee S,.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online