SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#276994 - 12/01/09 05:49 AM Multi-track Recorder - Tyro2
billh Offline

Loc: Chocowinity, NC
I use the Tyros2 quick record feature and it works well. However, I have trouble adding to the original recording and getting the volume correct. I usually record the music/keyboard 1st and then try to add vocals - but it takes many attempts to get it the way I like. I watch the levels while I record but I'm not very good at getting the right balance and need to re-record several times.

So, I have been looking at the Zoom R16 as a possible addition to my music setup. I want to be able to record multiple tracks at various times and be able to adjust each track to the level I like. Once I get it right, save it, copy it to my PC for final edit and storage.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

#276995 - 12/01/09 07:01 AM Re: Multi-track Recorder - Tyro2
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
The function of a compressor is to reduce the dynamic range of a signal. So basically think of it as an automated volume control that turns up the volume when needed and down when it's too loud.

So apply a compressor to your vocals and the end result is your voice beautifully balanced and easy to hear over the music even when your singing softly, and just as easy on the ears when your belting out the big notes.

The compressor also helps make different recording takes blend together, although it's important you still remember your distance from the mic at all times and never move away. Let the compressor do the work, you should never move away from the mic when singing louder notes.

Much of everything I just said above can also apply to your keyboard playing. If you ever look at the waveform shapes of a track on a CD you would see that the entire track is compressed to hell.

That's how everything gets balanced and the CD's can sound so much louder than your own recordings on CD.

Anyway... all that can be done on the R16

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-01-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online