SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#276770 - 11/25/09 07:04 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
zuki Offline

I use a nice over sized gym bag, which is flexible and has additional pockets. Can buy for <$20

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#276771 - 11/25/09 09:59 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
chony ... 30 cables on a gig?!?!? what is your setup, man? ...
I use a 'legal' size carry case about 17" x 13" x 7" ...
t.

I use powered speakers. 4 tops, 2 subs, 2 monitors - that makes 16 cables already. Keyboard lines, at least 3 mics, extension chords, strips, MIDI cables, pedals, and other assorted cables.

And that's when its a two man band. When its 5 or more, add another two monitors, 7 mics for the drums, snakes, etc. You get the idea...

In the meantime I found this: http://www.altmanluggage.com/biltmore_141.php

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 11-25-2009).]

#276772 - 11/25/09 11:14 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#276773 - 11/25/09 11:15 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#276774 - 11/26/09 01:05 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

I've been thinking about a solution to your problem and came up with this. Assuming that you use the same setup each time, create a complete, cable harness for each of your setups. One for when it's just you performing, one for the trio, and one for the larger group. This would eliminate a lot of problems, and eliminate wire clutter on stage. Additionally, your setup time would be dramatically reduced. Granted, it will likely take about a day to create the three harnesses, but benefits in time saved, storage problems, stage clutter, etc.., would far offset the time and expense.

Just a suggestion,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#276775 - 11/26/09 11:14 PM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Chony,

I've been thinking about a solution to your problem and came up with this. Assuming that you use the same setup each time, create a complete, cable harness for each of your setups. One for when it's just you performing, one for the trio, and one for the larger group. This would eliminate a lot of problems, and eliminate wire clutter on stage. Additionally, your setup time would be dramatically reduced. Granted, it will likely take about a day to create the three harnesses, but benefits in time saved, storage problems, stage clutter, etc.., would far offset the time and expense.

Just a suggestion,

Gary

THanks Gary,

I'm not sure what you mean by harness? Do you mean just grouping the cables together? How does that save stage clutter, etc?

#276776 - 11/27/09 03:55 AM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
Bachus Offline

I use my wife to cary them.... cheep and convenient...

But then my equipment almost never leaves my home

http://keyszone.boards.net

#276777 - 11/27/09 06:43 AM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
What I've started doing since we have to do a complete set up and tear down every week right now is I went to Walmart and bought 3 hose roller caddies. Yeah, that's right, those things that garden hoses go on. I have one for extension cords, one for XLR's, and one for speaker cables.

The extension cords and XLR's just plug in direct male to female and I just crank the handle and roll them up. They come off super fast too. I just grab the loose cord and pull and the whole thing comes off super fast. No tangles, quick access, and cords are not folded as much which means much less breakage.

Has worked great for about 4 years now.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#276778 - 11/27/09 07:27 AM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don't they also have similar items for electric cords?
t.

#276779 - 11/27/09 08:24 AM Re: What do you use to carry your cables around?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

Essentially, all the cables are contained within a flexible, plastic tube that runs from the mixer to the individual components.

For example, lets assume that you have 5 mics on stands across the front of the stage. Each cable would be cut to the exact length needed to reach the appropriate stand(s). Same holds true for instrument cables from the keyboard, guitars, etc... The flexible tube has various ports, which are nothing more than small, wire-size holes, where those cables pass into the main corridor or channel, thereby housing all the cables within the flexible tube.

At the other end of the tube, the wires exit and connect to the various items such as the power strip(s) and mixer. Each cable end is labeled so there's no question which cable to connect to the individual components.

I first began doing this in 1957, at which time we used to lace the cables with wax-coated lacing cord. The guys in the band loved this because the only thing that had to carry around was their instruments. No cables to worry about, and if one of them happened to fail, we always had spares in a canvas bag that could be used in a pinch.

The only drawback was if someone wanted to do some silly dancing across the stage like Chuck Berry while playing his guitar--the cable length(s) limited the distance they could move. Back then, the only drawback was when a cable failed, you had to unlace the entire housing, put a new cable in place, then lace it up again, which took quite some time. Todays cable tubes eliminate that problem.

The tubes are available at Radio Shack and some computer stores, they come in various sizes and it's not expensive.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online