SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#275961 - 11/19/09 09:33 AM Keyboard to complement the 910
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Ok,
910 coming next week and I'm thinking about another board to complement the 910. So far I'm thinking the yammie xs6, I only have about 2k budget for another board. Thought about the Roland fantom G but that seems more suited to hip hop and dance. I do pop reggae and pop rock so something that fits along those lines would be good....
Also building a new computer with adobe audition and sonar on it.

Any suggestions?

btw- This is for the home studio and not live play

Thanks

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 11-19-2009).]

#275962 - 11/19/09 09:54 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
What about the Roland GW-8/Prelude to compliment/contrast with the Yammie?

I'm using an S910 and that's what I'm thinking about getting.

Only thing is the GW-8/Prelude do not have on-board style assembly (you can't swap style parts) and I'm waiting to see if it gets added to the OS before I take the plunge.

That feature/function may not matter to you.

Ian

#275963 - 11/19/09 10:11 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Since you mentioned the Fantom G, apparently it doesn't have to be an arranger. If that's the case, it opens up a world of possibilities that couldn't possibly be addressed unless you give us a clue about what you want this second board to do. ??????

chas

#275964 - 11/19/09 10:35 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
To expand, their are time the styles are sparking not any ideas for me and I'm thinking I may want a workstation to build em from scratch. Or maybe looking for a better patch, especially the electric guitars which aren't so good in the 910 line, thus I have to use a sax, classic guitar for the solo's since the lead guitars won't cut it.

#275965 - 11/19/09 10:47 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I find there are some terrific lead guitar patches hidden under the One Touch Setting (OTS) buttons on the S910.

One thing it's not short on, in my opinion, is great guitar sounds.

Wait till you explore it more deeply, before giving up.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-19-2009).]

#275966 - 11/19/09 10:52 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ummm, interesting, 'cause of all the Yamaha patches (I have a T2), I like the guitars the most. I use the jazz guitar a lot and that's not even a SA voice. They work better for me than anything I've found on the Fantom G (I have a G7). However, if you like the Roland guitars, you might be able to save some serious bucks by going to a SonicCell, which has most of the same voices.

Aside from the guitars, why can't you build tracks using the 910? Without the arranger running, it's just another synth (with quite a few very nice voices).

BTW, I'm a big fan of both your songs and your vocals. Very professional and very well crafted.

chas

#275967 - 11/19/09 11:48 AM Re: Keyboard to complement the 910
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi
If your building a computer make sure you get Kontakt 4 http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-4/ as it is one of the most versatile VSTi around. (Reads samples from other manufactures as well)
Also if you want a plug-in host with hardware control (Plug-ins and Midi) have a look at Kore 2 http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kore-2/
There are many other VSTi so as far as a home studio is concerned, the sky’s the limit.
Hope this helps

Bill

BTW if I went for a separate keyboard I would go for a Kurzweil, (Always said I was going to get one, but never got round to it) but this may be out of your price range.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online