SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275940 - 11/19/09 05:40 AM One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Okay, I really threw this together for Diki when I first got my Nord C1 (he kept goading me to post something ). I stole the arrangement (as well as I could remember it) from an old buddy of mine (now deceased), Charlie Earland, who used to play it all the time and, I believe, recorded it. As usual, I was too lazy to check the changes or even the melody (relying on a very dubious memory), so there are probably lots of mistakes (it's the feeling that counts though, right?).

Organ - Nord C1 w/PK7a pedals
Drums - the usual PA1x shuffle
horns - PA1x patch (horn section)
muted trumpet - Triton
Guitar - Tyros 2 (Jazz Guitar)

I like this tune, so one of these days I'll probably go back and try to clean it up - one day. I threw this together in about 45min. to 1 hr. from memory and the mix is very rough so it's plenty sloppy.

In case you don't recognize it, it's supposed to be 'More today than yesterday'.
http://www.box.net/shared/vm4lhbqlpy

chas

#275941 - 11/19/09 06:15 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Wasn't meant for my ears(?) but I couldn't resist and glad that I broke the mind-your-own-business rule.

That's great, Chas. I love this kind of music and style. Hey, anything with organ and I'm all game.

You're my kind of player!

Regards

Taike

#275942 - 11/19/09 07:11 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Really liked that. Where you doing all those horn riffs live while playing the melody? Nice. And pedals--I love it. I never get to do any gigs anymore where I can kick bass, miss playing like that.
Actually saw Charles Erland do that tune at an organ jam in Newark NJ year ago. That tune sort of became his signature song.
Funny part of the show was Jimmy McGriff brought his "new XB3" to the gig and they set it up for his set. Earland wanted to use it but couldn't figure out how to use some of the new controls and had to stop in the middle of his first song so McGriff could help him out. I think we've all been in that situation HA!
Keep playing

Bill in NJ

#275943 - 11/19/09 07:21 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
glad that I broke the mind-your-own-business rule.

Not my intention, Taike, it's just that not many people on this forum are into this type of music (just as I'm not into 'atmospheric, dreamscape, sound-effects, type stuff). AFAIK, the only members playing this kind of stuff are Russ and WDMcM (who, btw, is a far more skillful player than I'll ever be and plays the 'real thing' to boot). Tony likes it, probably from hanging out in a lot of places he shouldn't have been in in his youth (like Russ).

Always glad to hear from you. That tells me that you and family are doing well, and that's a good thing.

chas

#275944 - 11/19/09 07:24 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
How could you NOT like this type of music?
Great work.
DonM

#275945 - 11/19/09 07:52 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Chas...
FANTASTIC interpretation of one of my fav oldies. Thanks for sharing.
Eddie

#275946 - 11/19/09 07:57 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Thanks, Don, however we still don't believe those guitar licks of yours were done on a keyboard (but if you want to keep on claiming that, it's okay ).

------------

Bill, sorry, I overdubed the horns. Likewise the guitar and muted trumpet. I'll have to figure out how to do it live with just a trio if I want to keep the feel. Better start practicing, I guess . BTW, I got a promising-looking nibble on the house so I will be re-visiting you if your 'baby' is still for sale.

chas

#275947 - 11/19/09 08:55 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
124 Offline

Yay Chas! That pops along nicely, enjoyed it much. I think there may be more folks than you think on here who like this kind of music. Me for one. Cheers!

#275948 - 11/19/09 09:27 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Not too shabby, Chas....

Nice arrangement...love the brass overdubs, and the C1 sounds incredible (perc is so cool!)....wicked bass work...I love walkin' bass...was that all pedals, or a combination pedal left hand?

Not too bad at all.

#275949 - 11/19/09 10:30 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
...was that all pedals, or a combination pedal left hand?

Combination. With the C1 you can set it up so that the pedals and the left lower split play exactly the same thing, interchangably. There is an option to use a synth bass which has a little attack built into the patch. That's usually what I use. Before my hip surgery, it was getting harder and harder to play pedals (even though it was my right hip - the pain). It is already infinitely better in just these 6 weeks post surgery. I usually play all pedals on slow tunes and left hand on up-tempo tunes, temporarily switching to pedals to change registrations or hit the Leslie switch (I also have a foot (toe) switch for the leslie - built into the PK7a). I'm usually 'doubling' anyway so it's not a big deal. A habit I picked up long ago.

I don't know, Ian. I'm sensing a little B3 lust/nostalgia. Don't worry. Happens to all you old ex-organ players (before you 'sold out' ). It'll wear off just as soon as you start remembering moving one .

chas

#275950 - 11/19/09 10:53 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, it's got to be "mental epillepsy"! That tune, played in a very similar way, is a mainstay of my first set. I played it when both Uncle Dave and Zuki visited. In fact, I do lots of old 70's and 80's tunes with that kind of musical "attitude". Think of tunes like "Working on a Groovy Thing" done with that same kind of walking left hand bass and that same kind of slightly behind the beat lead line with variations. Works GREAT!

Man, sore hip and all, you do the C-1 and the Smith/Groove Holmes tradition proud.

Good Stuff!

Russ

#275951 - 11/19/09 11:09 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

I don't know, Ian. I'm sensing a little B3 lust/nostalgia. Don't worry. Happens to all you old ex-organ players (before you 'sold out' ). It'll wear off just as soon as you start remembering moving one .

chas

The bass lines you're playing sound so fluid...I didn't know which hip conked out on ya, but, it sure hasn't affected your groove.

I don't have quite that adeptness, and I sure appreciate hearing someone who does.

I was thinking quite strongly about a VK-8, an XK-1 or a C1, but, the little S910 has two SA organ sounds, Jazz Rotary, and Rock Rotary, that have that ballsy, barky B-3 tone, especially at the top end, where most clonewheels and synth organs seem to get really wimpy.

So far, it's keeping me happy (and it's only 400 lbs lighter)...and, the thing about using just one keyboard, is that you tend to push it to it's limits, and get to know every little trick and quirk that it does.

If I was in a band I'd probably go for a C1, although it would mean setting up my keyboards in an "L" configuration (not the best on a small stage) as the Nord is too big (front to back) to be stacked, and doesn't have a flat top.

If it's all you're using, it would be the cat's pajamas.

Getting back to your tune...it's a beautifully put together piece...everything just fits and flows...very nice. You're clearly not just adept on the Hammond stuff...you've got a great feel for putting arrangements together.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-19-2009).]

#275952 - 11/19/09 01:21 PM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Right on. Great feel. Good playing. Anybody who can put all of that together in less than an hour definitely has it together and gets my vote. (musically speaking of course)
I've commented on maybe 4-5 other performances posted here since i joined 8 years ago. I'm not the easiest to impress, so usually I just don't post at all.
Well Done Chas.

#275953 - 11/19/09 02:10 PM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Wow! I appreciate all the nice comments from everyone, but getting an attaboy from someone as musically gifted as Rory is special for me. Now if only I can get him to vote democrat.......kidding, Rory, kidding, kidding, kidding . Hope to meet you at next NAMM. I'll be hanging somewhere near Russ .

Oh, the reason I can do things so fast is that I will only do it once, and mistakes be dammed (I might run through it once or twice before commiting to 'tape' but once it's down, I'm done). Glad about all the good stuff happening for you, right now, but it's certainly no suprise.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-19-2009).]

#275954 - 11/19/09 02:28 PM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... Just got a chance to listen ... this one is going straight to the iPOD !!! ...
This happens to be one of my wife's favorite tunes ... I did an arrangement a number of years ago to serve as a backing track for my vocal ... not CLOSE to yours ...

I am very happy that you have decided to post your music here ... please keep it coming ... I have a LOT of room left on my iPOD ...
t.

#275955 - 11/19/09 03:09 PM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Chas, I should've added that this is by far the best that has been posted here. I am not just saying that to please you -well, it should- or that you're one of my favorite people along with Russ on SZ, but this is great playing. The C1 sounds fantastic and has B3 written all over it.

Family's doing fine. Thanks, Chas.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#275956 - 11/19/09 07:42 PM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Whoa, that's SMOKIN'. I would have bought this on iTunes or Amazon if I heard it there, thanks for giving us a free version. When I hear some of the talent here I wonder why I even bother to play. Outstanding work.

#275957 - 11/20/09 02:38 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is a blast Chas. I enjoyed that so very much. Great job. Very nice organ work and I also liked the brass lines as well. A very nice arrangement and performance.

#275958 - 11/21/09 08:17 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
tony mads usa Offline

... On the drive home last night, reflecting on the gig, I realized that for some reason I used the organ voices a lot more than usual ...
t.

#275959 - 11/21/09 09:03 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
... On the drive home last night, reflecting on the gig, I realized that for some reason I used the organ voices a lot more than usual ...
t.

Although they're not used much in 'today's music', for most types of traditional music (for some peculiar reason, not too much in Country), it fills a gap (pads) that no other type of synth voice seems to duplicate. Organs just sound fuller, fatter, richer, than most other types of synth voices. In most (pad type) situations, synth organ patches work just fine but most synth players usually neglect to use an expression pedal and that compromises the 'organ effect' IMO. Of course, the closer you are to a real B3 (Nord C1, Hammond/Suziki XK series, Korg B/CX3, Roland VK8, NI B4II, etc. -- put them in your own order, I did ), the better. I hope it enjoys a comeback and becomes as popular as they seem to be in Europe and Japan (even if Europe seems to be more 'Wersi'-leaning).

BTW, don't know much about the Technics boards. How ARE the organ voices?

chas

#275960 - 11/21/09 10:49 AM Re: One for TonyM and Russ
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

BTW, don't know much about the Technics boards. How ARE the organ voices?

chas

To ME they sound good, but I'm not an organ player ... don't know how they might sound to you ...
There are also voices named 'Jazz Drawbars' and 'Rock Drawbars', which utilize virtual drawbars that can be adjusted 'on the fly' while playing, but I haven't had much luck getting a 'better' voice than the factory ones ... perhaps you can recommend some drawbar settings for me so I can sound like a B3 ...
t.
BTW ... I am listening to Jimmy Smith while on the I'net through this I'net 'radio' station ... http://www.theradio.com/
Just type in the artist or genre ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-21-2009).]

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-21-2009).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online