SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#275823 - 11/14/09 03:30 PM Toughest Bose Compact critic........
zuki Offline

.....my wife, who went with me tonight. She sat in the back of the room as was astounded at the sound quality. She said it was extremely clean and my voice was heard like never before, and that it was utterly amazing. Now this is coming from someone who has heard everything I had. I have fallen in love with a single Compact and can't see the need for 2 systems any longer. That said, in late November, I do get to try two Compacts at a night job.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#275824 - 11/15/09 02:49 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
How bout that!!

Zuki glad to hear it!!

#275825 - 11/15/09 06:55 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
The old guy that first took me under his wing in the recording studio used to tell me to "watch the wimmen" when evaluating one of my feeble mixes.

I still find that to be valuable information to this day.

Nevermind all of our studies of physics, electronics, audio, what-have-you, "watching the wimmen" with an eye towards detecting if they are okay with it or are annoyed by it is still one of the best ways to evaluate your sound, be it recorded or live.

The Bose Compact is a hit with the women in the places I play.

I think it is mostly because it does not intrude on their ability to talk and hear themselves, but I digress...

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#275826 - 11/15/09 07:24 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Glad everything is working out for you. In my case, it was my loving spouse of nearly a half-century that tipped the scales. She can hear a mouse peeing on cotton a hundred yards away. When she heard the standard L1 for the first time she said "Now you can get rid of all those other amps--there's no comparison." When I purchased the L1 Compact she said "It sounds exactly the same as the other one--why do you need it." I handed her the entire speaker column and she said "OK, I understand."

I still have the Standard L1, but it will soon go on Ebay, along with one of my backup laptops.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275827 - 11/16/09 08:07 PM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm happy for you.

#275828 - 11/17/09 09:08 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
For those of you that use the Bose Compact -Do use a mixer or just plug your keyboard and mic directly into the compact?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#275829 - 11/17/09 09:14 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've used it both ways. I generally use a mixer because I often have guest singers or players and I need additional inputs.
Depending on the venue, you may need some e.q., either from the keyboard or a mixer.
DonM

#275830 - 11/17/09 12:44 PM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I go direct, but do have a Behringer mixer if I need more input space. Always be prepared.

#275831 - 11/17/09 01:40 PM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Like Don said.

#275832 - 11/18/09 07:21 AM Re: Toughest Bose Compact critic........
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I fire my mic through the keyboard, thereby taking advantage of the keyboard's vocal processor. The only time I use the L1 Compact's mic input is when I have a job that requires someone to make announcements.

My laptop's audio output is connected to the 1/8-inch stereo input on the L1 Compact, which takes care of MP3s when I need them.

On the rare chance that I have a guest singer, I carry an Alesis Multimix 6FX mixer in the car. In the time I've owned both Bose L1 systems, the mixer has never come out of the car.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online