SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#275632 - 11/11/09 08:24 PM Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello All,
I just read the manual about loading lyrics into the Midjay and it seems like a tedious task. I am contemplating adding lyrics for about 200 tunes. I would appreciate hearing the experiences anyone who has loaded lyrics into a Midjay.
I currently have all the lyrics in Word, and from what I understand, the lyrics first must be converted to Text files via Copy and Paste to Notebook, converted then copied to the Midjay … any shortcuts?
Ciao,
Jerry

#275633 - 11/11/09 09:44 PM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes. First, you can do a batch conversion in Microsoft Word. You can convert all the .doc files in a folder to .txt files. Help in Word will tell you how much easier than I can, but it's not difficult.
Then put all the text files in the WAV folder.
Again, this is really easy. Just copy and paste like on a PC.
If you want the text file associated with a Style (in other words to open when you call the style up) it must be in the same folder as the style and have the identical same name.
Also you can elect to open the text file, pick an appropriate style and voices and save to a Registration. That's the way I did it. Again the text files must be in the WAV folder. I don't know why.
I had MANY hundreds of lyrics in the Midjay. It's easy to search alphabetically.
The Midjay has a lot of GREAT features!
I miss mine.
DonM

#275634 - 11/11/09 11:06 PM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
When a text file is loaded and showing on the screen, the style controls are deactivated, mean to say you can't do fills, change variations. So i use the pedal board. Is this true also in your case?
Jimmy

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#275635 - 11/12/09 08:21 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
DonM Offline

Jimmy, I don't recall having that problem. The controls are deactivated when in certain edit screens though.
I no longer have a Midjay to check.
DonM

#275636 - 11/12/09 08:28 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
DonM Offline

I am speaking of associating text with styles. You can also have them come up and scroll with a midi file. They must be in the same folder with the exact same name and to make them scroll, you must first play the midi file as you scroll manually, WHILE the MJ is in record mode. After that the words scroll automatically.
I never used that feature, so don't know if it disables the style controls, but I suppose if you are playing a midi file you wouldn't need the style controls.
DonM

#275637 - 11/12/09 08:36 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Don, I've got a nice used one, still in the box!

Russ

#275638 - 11/12/09 08:50 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks Guys. I just got called away to N.C. - leaving right after tonight's gig. So, I can't get on this until mid next week. The first snag I hit was trying to get to the related Windows Help page ... but we'll get it.
Thanks again.
Ciao,
Jerry

#275639 - 11/12/09 11:26 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
DonM Offline

Just open Word and then press F1.
Here's what it says:

Convert several documents at once:

Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.

On the File menu, click New, and then click the Other Documents tab.

Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
Note If you do not see the Batch Conversion Wizard in the New dialog box, you may need to install it.

Follow the directions on the screen.

Hope this helps.
DonM

#275640 - 11/12/09 06:29 PM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I don't sing and wouldn't use this feature, but I did have a Midjay, and it sure seems like a mighty small screen to try to be readying lyrics and not being able to see all but part of the text. Also wondering how do you scroll, or did I miss that in the thread?

#275641 - 11/15/09 01:12 AM Re: Loading lyrics into a Midjay ...
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Yes, Don, I verified it. When a text is displayed, styles controls are deactivated.
Anyway, the screen is too small to display chords & texts and i found it impractical in live situation to scroll while your hands are both busy.
I tried many arrangers but still coming back to MJ because of it's versatility & compactness. If Ketron would just increase the screen size, improve the harmonizer and sliders for styles, it'll be the perfect arranger module for me.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online