SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275458 - 11/09/09 08:10 AM New source of income
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
...well, if you don't mind working for $2.00/hr. Yesterday, I had this popular local wedding singer who usually sings to backing tracks, call and ask if I could make her a backing track to the song Sunny. Of course my response was, 'how much?' (although I don't usually do this type of tune and have NEVER done a backing track for anyone). I wanted to turn down her offer of $25.00 but God was she cute. She said she wanted it to be old-school soulful and danceable, but danceable in the way that usually leads to 'getting down to business'. I liked her 'forthrightness' . I said I'd give it a try. She needed it in her hands by Tuesday as the wedding was Wednesday. This is what I roughed out to see if she liked this approach. I did it the usual way; pick a drum pattern from a PA1x style and then multitrack the other instruments to that. The instruments, in the order they were tracked, are:

Drums--------------PA1x pro (Swing Hip Hop)
Bass and pad-------Fantom G7
Rhythm Guitar------Tyros 2 (jazz guitar)
Vocals (ha ha)-----VP-550
Organ -------------Nord C1
Sax----------------PA1x Pro (Tenor Sax noise 1)
Lead Guitar--------Pa1x Pro (Overdrive Gtr)

Recorded and rendered to MP3 with Reaper via Alesis I/O26.

http://www.box.net/shared/n5joevs5yc

Not my usual style but I'm starting to like these hiphop beats in my old age .

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-09-2009).]

#275459 - 11/09/09 08:54 AM Re: New source of income
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's really something. There are lots of people around here doing backing tracks for $15-25.00 each. Of course, most singles (singers, horn players, etc.) pay less for tracks from a commercial source.

But they don't get work as good as this.

And, all you'd have to do is work 500 hours a week, and the bills would be paid (mostly).

Russ

#275460 - 11/09/09 09:27 AM Re: New source of income
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Well...
if they don't "get down to business" after a song like this one, I don't know what could possibly work.
Terrific job!
A.

#275461 - 11/09/09 09:36 AM Re: New source of income
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice Chas...lazy and laid back....my style exactly.

I found the overall level a bit low...otherwise, mixed very well.

Guitar parts sound very good, and the Sax is nice too.

I used to play this song a lot at my restaurant gig...a guy came in with his girlfriend pretty well every time I was there, and always dropped a $20 in my tip jar...yes, her name was Sunny.

Another tune I used to play was "Stormy", by the Classics Four...ever do that one?

Staying with the weather theme...I think I'll write one called "Snowy"...certainly would suit today's weather.

#275462 - 11/09/09 10:24 AM Re: New source of income
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Staying with the weather theme...I think I'll write one called "Snowy"...certainly would suit today's weather.

I was going to do one on the Buffalo weather, but I dont think a song with the name "Sh*tty" would be too well received.

Jerryghr

#275463 - 11/09/09 11:28 AM Re: New source of income
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Just listened to the tune again a few times Chas.

Very atmospheric, the reverb on the Sax is very nice...the guitar licks seem from a familiar song.

Very dreamy, very laid back...very nice.

#275464 - 11/09/09 11:40 AM Re: New source of income
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Very tasty Chas.

Dreamer,
Happy to see your post. Hope all is well.

Ciao,
Jerry

#275465 - 11/09/09 12:25 PM Re: New source of income
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Superb! Now, I asume the vocals were absent or on a separate channel on the copy you made for her... You need to post another mp3 with her singing with it along with a pic of the two of you or at least her.

#275466 - 11/09/09 12:38 PM Re: New source of income
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
I was going to do one on the Buffalo weather, but I dont think a song with the name "Sh*tty" would be too well received.

Jerryghr

Funny.

My first cousin took early retirement from the Buffalo school system just to get the heck outta' there. She's much happier now down here in warm, sunny, Georgia (at least it is at the moment). I always stopped in Bufalo to go through customs when I (frequently) flew my little Mooney 201 back and forth to Toronto. We had no customs office at our little local airport (N99) in West Chester, PA, requiring us to fly into Philadelphia Int. or Allentown. Gave me a chance for a quick visit with my cousin, who lived fairly close to the airport.

chas

#275467 - 11/09/09 12:48 PM Re: New source of income
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Superb! Now, I asume the vocals were absent or on a separate channel on the copy you made for her... You need to post another mp3 with her singing with it along with a pic of the two of you or at least her.

Cass, she's very pretty. I believe she has her own website. I'll try to get it. I don't think she'd like a picture of the two of us plastered all over the internet. As to the arrangement, she wanted the tempo about 5 bpm faster, no solos, and the drums a little less pronounced. She seems to know what she wants.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online