SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275213 - 11/03/09 06:25 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Well, given how few use style assembly, maybe that's why it's a software option for the Prelude? You still constantly recommend the S910, despite it needing software for a lot of things. Maybe you could soften your heart and give it the same break you give the S910?

Whoops, what was I THINKING?!

It's probably a software option for the Prelude because it can't be added to the instrument via OS.

I am giving the Prelude a break...I am saying it is a wonderful keyboard that would compliment an S910...if the purchaser doesn't need style assembly on-board, then it would work out just fine.

I want to have it on-board because the software editing is not as convenient, and I don't have a G70, and, because the Prelude doesn't have it right now, and there are no indications it ever will, I'll pass on it.

There are some things we require in an arranger instrument...with you, it is 76 keys, and with me, it is a style creator that allows on-board style assembly.

I might be better off looking for a second hand E-50...it has the same style editing as the G70?

#275214 - 11/03/09 07:03 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep, it does.

Personally, I'd wait... Initially, the Prelude and GW-8 didn't have ANY style editing tools. Now they have almost the same functionality as the G70 (albeit without detail drumkit modification and the amazing ease of the touchscreen system), and some improvements, even. I wouldn't be surprised to see the style assembly included in the future, given how they appear to be importing whole chunks of the E/G series code...

Main thing is, IF it happens, if you had already bought your Prelude, you wouldn't have to sell it to get the new features. Unlike if you had a Yamaha, for instance

I'd wait, rather than get an E50, if I were you... Alternatively, you could get a Sonic Cell and convert the Prelude styles to Yamaha format, and play it through the SC via MIDI...

#275215 - 11/03/09 07:06 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Beakybird Offline

The style, OTS, and registration editing software that these guys made for Yamaha is really exceptional.

These are great demos.

As far as style support, the T3 styles do sound perfect right out of the box. Only five of them needed tweaking. In my case I first put the T2 styles that weren't on my PSR-S910 on my USB, and then I added the T3 styles that still weren't there.

The T3 styles have OTSs missing, but with OTS Editor software, it takes seconds to load the OTS of a similar style.

Where do you get the StyleAdjust software?

Beakybird

#275216 - 11/03/09 07:38 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Conversely, if I was to buy a Prelude, and they didn't add the Style Assembly...

I'll wait...maybe, since I'm not planning to gig with anything I buy, I could get a second hand G70...I just want something to play around with at home...I'll send out the Cape Breton Irregulars to look for one in mint shape....it's getting near Christmas, so there may be a few up for sale, or something in an Estate sale....probably be able to get one for under 2 grand.

I'm also interested in finding out more about this new upcoming Casio arranger/piano...88 keys...30 lbs...4 variations/style...style editing...midi sequencer with Audio to USB...pitch/mod wheels, and new tone generator with something akin to Korg's DNC (that's how it was described to me) and draw-bar organ with a very decent rotary...mmmmm....that would be something I could also take out on jam sessions for a bit of fun.

Supposed to be out in January or February.

Also supposed to cost about the same as the Prelude...or less.

Ahhhh, who knows...I may change my mind and spend the money on a new wide-screen TV for my Playstation 2. I'm very content with the 910, so why waste money on gear I may have to re-sell and lose money on...vintage synth gear is different...at least there's a bit of profit (and sometimes the occasional Prophet ) in it.

Just thinking out loud.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-04-2009).]

#275217 - 11/03/09 08:03 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

Beakybird

Hi Larry,

It used to be on SVP World, and in lieu of it closing, Michael has put his Style Manager Series programs on PSR Tutorial...but I don't see StyleAdjust there.

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html

I've sent him an email.

Ian

#275218 - 11/04/09 05:41 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
Nice sounds, but I don't like yamaha drums... sounds too "plastic".
Not to mention yamaha hasn't a 76keys model either...

#275219 - 11/04/09 06:52 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I have to chuckle at the turn many threads take.

All Donny was tying to do was share some videos on the s910 and it then turns into the merit of one board over the other. How many times do we have to hear ad nauseum my xxx board can do this better than your zzz board does this? We all know that already.

Does it really matter in the big picture? Yes it does, but only to you and not necessarily to another SZ musician. My needs are pretty simple in an arranger, if I like what I hear and my audiences do that's what matters. I'm not playing with a band either, so I know that factors into the equation. I'm finding in the last few years I have about driven myself a little bit crazy trying to find what works best. Have had a g70, t2, psr3k, s900, Korg pa800, now Korg Pa2xPro and an s910. I gotta say I'm enjoying the s910 better than the T2 ( I had a T3 home for a weekend and I prefer the s910 to the T3 just personal taste). I like this s910 so much so that for my assisted living home gigs, I will start using the s910 vs. the Pa2xPro in those locations. The new improved MFD function has been a factor in that decision.

Sure I jump around with brands and models of boards. Do I fully get to know each board? No I don't, but I'm having a hell of a great time make a few bucks with it, then when I find something I think I'll enjoy more I'll sell and move on.

On the subject of 76 keys I wanted 76 keys for so long on a Yamaha board, but times have changed, I'm doing vocals for most of my 1 hour gigs and find less a need for 76 keys than I did 3 years ago when I was only playing instrumentals. Add that that 90% of the venues I play have a nice grand piano sitting in the same activity room or rotunda where I play. When I want to play that insturmental on the piano, I just slide over and I have 88 keys, works for me and the audiences.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-04-2009).]

#275220 - 11/04/09 07:13 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

Steve wonderful post.....
finally a voice of reason.

#275221 - 11/04/09 07:33 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Good post, Steve...I get these urges that I have to buy something, and of course, they pass, and fortunately, most times it's before I take the plunge.

I don't miss 76 keys at all, and I do all instrumental...that's not to rekindle the old 76 vs 61 debate...there are plenty of valid reasons why some people need/want more than 61...they just don't apply to me.

I think I'm just going to stay with the S910...all this activity on SZ sometimes activates my "buy-itus" and with my barely under control compulsive/impulsive nature, I can soon wind up needing a prescription for "Buyagra".

Glad you're enjoying your S910, and using it on more gigs...I have a buddy who just retired his PSR-9000 Pro and replaced it with an S910...he's a happy camper...loves the new styles too, especially the jazz and big band.

Did I send you that "reconditioned" slow jazz ballad style I did for/on the S910, called Dreamier Bld?

Works pretty good for those standards like As Time Goes By, Misty, Over the Rainbow, etc.

Let me know.

#275222 - 11/04/09 08:06 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

Beakybird

Larry, you have mail.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online