SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275203 - 11/03/09 05:02 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Am i missing something? my Roland GW-8 has style editing on board....

#275204 - 11/03/09 05:04 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

Why go nuts "assembly"... just too many styles out there to use...if one doesn't work for you dump it and find or convert another that is suitable no big deal. editing is another story.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275205 - 11/03/09 05:15 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Am i missing something? my Roland GW-8 has style editing on board....

Nick,

You can take parts out of one style and use them in another?

For instance, you could take the bass line from a Bossa Nova, and use it in an 8 Beat....or the drum pattern in a Rock Beat and put it in a Country Beat?

Exchanging style parts...that's what I'm referring to....Yamaha calls it Style Assembly...Roland must have it's own term for it.

I know you can mute parts and/or adjust volume and use a new voice in place of another, but I'm talking about the pattern as well.

I wasn't aware the GW-8 could do this.

#275206 - 11/03/09 05:19 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why go nuts "assembly"... just too many styles out there to use...if one doesn't work for you dump it and find or convert another that is suitable no big deal. editing is another story.

[

Donny, this is pretty basic editing, and very simple to do.

I teach it at my clinics.

It is also very effective.

#275207 - 11/03/09 05:23 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Nick,

You can take parts out of one style and use them in another?

For instance, you could take the bass line from a Bossa Nova, and use it in an 8 Beat....or the drum pattern in a Rock Beat and put it in a Country Beat?

Exchanging style parts...that's what I'm referring to....Yamaha calls it Style Assembly...Roland must have it's own term for it.

I know you can mute parts and/or adjust volume and use a new voice in place of another, but I'm talking about the pattern as well.

I wasn't aware the GW-8 could do this.

ok yeah it definitely cant do that onboard. to be honest i never used that feature anyways so its no biggy for me...

#275208 - 11/03/09 05:34 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
ok yeah it definitely cant do that onboard. to be honest i never used that feature anyways so its no biggy for me...

Thanks Nick...you had me hopeful there for a minute.

Maybe you're right...in fact, it may not be that big a deal for most people, but it is a very popular part of my clinics, when it can be shown how you can essentially put your own stamp on a factory style, without needing to know anything about note limits, or source chords or anything else that may be too complicated...it's basically a pretty easy and simple operation.

Ian

#275209 - 11/03/09 05:39 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I really don't have anything critical to say about Yamaha, because I'm basically happy with what it does, even though it needs help from outside programmers...

The Prelude would be a great deal with style assembly...are you saying it wouldn't be?

Most certainly, it is a wonderful tool to have on an arranger...look how crippled the GW-8 is without it.

The Yamaha would be a great deal with all the missing features in it, too. Are you saying it wouldn't be? But you are OK with the way it is.

Look at how crippled the Yamaha's are without them..

You don't have anything critical to say about Yamaha's because you are being so busy being critical of other arrangers for having exactly the same flaws...

It's pretty obvious that there are about as many people on this forum heavily into style assembly as there are into Chord Sequencers..

I guess you're going to have to take your OWN advice about not bitching at other arrangers for not having your favorite feature on board (as long as you CAN do it some way or another). The Prelude is as 'perfect' as the S910. In other words, it ain't perfect at all!. It just WORKS for you. Others have as much right to consider it flawed for them needing external software to do essential things as you do. I doubt you are as willing to admit that degree of flawed operation as you expect others to agree with your assessment of the 'flawed' Prelude/GW-8.

I'm sorry, pal, but admitting that you HAD to have a custom piece of software written for your Yamaha puts it on EXACTLY the same level as the Prelude. Except, of course, Roland owners don't need to get anyone to write the custom software, they provide it from the git-go

Bottom line is, you CAN assemble styles for the Prelude. If you are too set in your ways to do it with the computer, you can hardly point to all the needed software for Yamaha's as a BENEFIT. Shouldn't Yamaha potential (and current) users have the same right to expect it on board as you do the Prelude's?

#275210 - 11/03/09 05:55 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

It's pretty obvious that there are about as many people on this forum heavily into style assembly as there are into Chord Sequencers..

It's too bad...it's a great tool to have right on the arranger, and it isn't too hard to learn how to use.

My clients are always pleased with learning how to do something that is so simple, and yet so effective.

And, it adds to the perceived value of the arranger to prospective buyers.

It will be on the next entry level S-series.

It can't be as convenient to do on a PC, don't you have to load the style back in the keyboard to hear the changes and how they work over the chords?

Then, load it back in to do more editing.

Ah well...it's obviously not that important to you...maybe you'll have better luck with getting the chord sequencer implemented.

#275211 - 11/03/09 06:07 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, it IS that important to me. That's why I've got a G70 and not a Prelude (or GW-8). A lot of things are important to me. Having a 76 is important to me. It isn't to you, but that's OK... If there was a 76 S910, I might have one already. But there isn't, and every time I criticize it for that, it's a case of "Yamaha MUST have done their market research, and found out nobody wants them'...

Well, given how few use style assembly, maybe that's why it's a software option for the Prelude? You still constantly recommend the S910, despite it needing software for a lot of things. Maybe you could soften your heart and give it the same break you give the S910?

Whoops, what was I THINKING?!

#275212 - 11/03/09 06:09 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I'm sorry, pal, but admitting that you HAD to have a custom piece of software written for your Yamaha puts it on EXACTLY the same level as the Prelude. ?

Not quite, I'm afraid.

The software I had made for me was to allow me to double the tempo of a style, without changing the speed...I could also halve it as well.

I was then able to take parts from the "adjusted" style and use them in another one that was at normal tempo.

Guitar parts, especially strums, take on a whole new character...so do horn riffs, piano arps, and string phrases.

I could also alter tempo by a third, or any value I could imagine.

As far as I know, this can't be done on any arranger, using the on-board style maker.

So, my custom made software was very much a special purpose program....for my needs.

For "normal" editing, the on-board style creator is more than sufficient.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online