SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275193 - 11/03/09 02:26 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I suspect the upgrade was intended to be much like the PSR-2000 to the PSR-2100.

It could be the EQ and/or compression, although there are no actual user "compression" settings on the S910 like there are on the Tyros3...the EQ appears to be the same, but perhaps the factory presets have been adjusted, or tweaked...I use the factory preset "Concert" setting with my MS60S powered monitors...works real well.

There is also a "Total Gain Adj.", but like the S900, I don't change it.

The S910 was what the S900 should have been.

Having such a light portable instrument, makes going to a jam at someone's house so much less of a hassle...and the accompaniments are handy...you can always mute parts.

I still have the T3 here...did a clinic with it the other day...it's very nice, but more than what I need for gigging...the MOTL arrangers sure have come a long way.

Too bad the McPrelude doesn't have style assembly yet, as not everyone wants to use a PC for editing....they must be able to add that in the OS....the style engine must be based on the E enough to allow it.

So easy to just pop one in the car, or even take on a bus...man, they have to go that extra bit, and do the style assembly addition.

#275194 - 11/03/09 02:44 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, if I get one, I can do the style assembly in my G70 and tweak it in the Prelude. I guess Roland make arrangers for the same people that Yamaha do... those that don't need EVERYTHING on the arranger.

Isn't it a shame that Jørgen and the rest HAVE to make computer software to do some things that Roland's do in the box?! This is a two way street you are driving down the wrong way, my friend

The Prelude OS2 (and GW-8 OS2) are the arrangers that the Prelude and GW-8 SHOULD have been in the first place. Difference is, of course, Roland don't make you sell your S900 to get the S910 so you can have the keyboard it was 'supposed' to be... They just upgrade it for free!

#275195 - 11/03/09 03:07 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Well, if I get one, I can do the style assembly in my G70 and tweak it in the Prelude.
Isn't it a shame that Jørgen and the rest HAVE to make computer software to do some things that Roland's do in the box?!
The Prelude OS2 (and GW-8 OS2) are the arrangers that the Prelude and GW-8 SHOULD have been in the first place. Difference is, of course, Roland don't make you sell your S900 to get the S910 so you can have the keyboard it was 'supposed' to be... They just upgrade it for free!

Let' see...so the style editing can be done on a G70...well that solves the problem about poor G70 sales...just pick one up second hand, and use it to program your new GW-8/McPrelude. Brilliant!

No, it's not a shame that Jørgen and Michael B. have to make software to make life easier...that, my friend, is a wonderful thing! These guys are priceless!

They've made some wicked programs.

Yes, the McPrelude/GW-8 OS2 was free...and still no style assembly...see my first paragraph for the solution.

Let's hope OS3 finally makes the McPrelude/GW-8 completearrangers, or maybe there's a Jørgenesque kind of guy at Roland Arranger dot Calm?

#275196 - 11/03/09 03:07 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I'd STILL like to hear a back to back recording of the S900 and S910 with all the EQ and compression turned off, to see if it really IS all that much difference... Same ROM style, etc.. It's just too easy to get that 'new car smell' confused with it actually being a new car..

I would too love to know this as well!

#275197 - 11/03/09 03:18 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
mc Offline

Loc: New York
My local GC does not have one and will not get unless its a special order, (I hate GC)and the Sam Ash is waiting to sell the s900 they have on the floor before they get one in. I have a s900 which a love very much but just reading through the spec. I 'm not convinced yet; maybe if I get my hands on one, It might just blow me away. (not sure yet) But I can't stop to thinking if the upgrade really worth it?

Is the mp3 player in the s910 have a playlist feature which songs play without stopping?

Are there new drum sets or just tweaked s900 drums, especially for the s910?

What other features on the s910 that is not on the s900 that really stands out?

I know there are more styles, but majority is Middle Eastern and/or Asian?

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275198 - 11/03/09 03:44 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Look, Ian, you can't denigrate the Prelude (whoops! McPrelude ) for something that the Yamaha has EXACTLY the same problem with If assembling styles in a computer is so onerous, why are you NOT lambasting the Yamaha's for needing so much of its' editing done externally on a computer, too? At least Roland PROVIDE the software needed to do the task, rather than not bother completely, and hope that some talented amateur will do the job for them

Just imagine how crippled PSR's would be if everybody left it to Yamaha to provide full functionality...

I bet you've got ALL the software for the McPSR's, don't you? Tell the truth, now...

#275199 - 11/03/09 04:08 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ian what exactly do you mean by the GW-8 not having a style assembly?

I can go into a style mixing page where you have full access to individually edit the 8 style parts all in real-time.

is that not what a style assembly is?

#275200 - 11/03/09 04:12 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

I rarely use software to edit my styles or anything else on my PSR.

I only use one program....it's called StyleAdjust, and which Michael Bedesem made especially for me.

I am glad that the other software is available if needed, and lots of other Yamaha users benefit greatly from Jørgen and Michael B's brilliant programs.

I never travel with a laptop, unless I want to keep up with my email.

I'm hardly insulting or denigrating the Prelude...I call it McPrelude, because it's all that's left on Roland's arranger menu...the Big Mac (G70) is gone...it's a term of endearment...I'll stop using it, if it bothers you.

I'm on your side, my friend...that's why I mentioned the lack of style assembly on the Mc...er...GW-8/Prelude...how cool would it be to get a great arranger at that price with on-board style editing? Très cool, that's how cool.

Don't be so defensive.

The GW-8/Prelude would be a terrific (and cheaper) alternative to an S910, and certainly a fine complimentary instrument if you already own the PSR.

I'm still interested in getting a Prelude, but only if they add style assembly.

#275201 - 11/03/09 04:54 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Don't be so defensive.

Maybe I wouldn't if you applied the same standards to Yamaha that you do for others... If having to use a computer for some much needed editing is a dealbreaker for you on a Roland, it should be a dealbreaker for Yamaha, too.

Style assembly seems to be a mantra of yours lately re. the Roland BOTL's. I guess I would feel a lot less 'defensive' if you were as vocal about having what HAS to be done on a computer for the Yamaha's be included in its' OS as you are about the Roland...

#275202 - 11/03/09 04:56 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Oh well...I tried.

Suit yourself.

I really don't have anything critical to say about Yamaha, because I'm basically happy with what it does, even though it needs help from outside programmers...you are on a relentless search for perfection...all well and good, but it isn't my bag...I'm just content enjoying what I have to the fullest.

The Prelude would be a great deal with style assembly...are you saying it wouldn't be?

Most certainly, it is a wonderful tool to have on an arranger...look how crippled the GW-8 is without it.

Yamaha will certainly have an arranger in the Preludes price range with style assembly in it's new models, so it would be to Roland's benefit to add it now, or at least real soon.

Snooze and you lose.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-03-2009).]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online