SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275001 - 11/03/09 01:12 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Good points, Diki, but I'd rather stick to using the one pedal...sustain.

I only use the one pedal, too... an FC-7 The left end of it is for the Variations, the right end of it is for my sustains (I prefer to have separate UPR and LWR sustains, for live use). As long as I am not using the swell pedal (only tend to use it for organs, mostly) I simply sit there with one foot on the sustain, and one hovering over the four Variation selects. I never have to look at them, and rarely miss-hit...

Perhaps if it was an option for the PSR's, you might get to like it, but it's easy to tend to dismiss something that you can't use even if you wanted to...

#275002 - 11/03/09 01:13 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
thank you.

I downloaded the demo version of Live Styler a few days ago & haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
It's come a long way since I tried it for the first time, a few years back.
Problem I had with it back then, was that it didn't appear to play back piano arpeggio's correctly. I use a lot of piano styles ( with just bass & strings), so if it messes up the arpeggio, it's really noticeable. I ended up using One Man Band instead.

As for the Ketron conversion, haven't checked into that. Sounds interesting.

Thanks Bill.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Rikki
The full version of Livestyler http://www.live-styler.de/home/ has a patch setup specifically for the SD2, and also allows Ketron styles to be converted and use the module instead of/or in addition to other sounds.
Regards

Bill

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 11-03-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#275003 - 11/03/09 01:22 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The multiple switched pedal seems to work well for you, my friend.

I have used a similar rig by Yamaha on the Tyros, can't recall the model number off hand...tried it...dismissed it.

{edit to add}..now I remember...it was an MFC-10 Programmable MIDI Foot Controller.

I'm pretty sure it will work with the S910 as well (I believe the PSR has a midi template all set up for it), but, again, I only want to use one pedal...sustain.

I'm a "hands on" kinda guy.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275004 - 11/03/09 02:10 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Diki Offline

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=1158&CTID=208500

Yeah, I can see your point about THAT..! Way to over engineer the problem, Yamaha!
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=832

Simpler, cheaper, and the pedals are MUCH further apart from each other... Maybe if this worked with a Yamaha, you'd be thinking differently...

#275005 - 11/03/09 02:41 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
ianmcnll Offline

Yep, the MFC10 is a pretty cool pedal, alright.

It's designed not just for arrangers, but also for the G50 Guitar MIDI Converter and the WX11 Wind MIDI controller.

The Roland unit is cool too.

No, it's nothing to do with the ergonomics...I found the Yamaha system worked fine...I just don't want to use a multiple pedal unit, that's all.

I use a Roland sustain pedal...the one with the rubber flappy thing for your heel...got two of them...must be nearly 20 years old, or more....what a brilliant design....so simple, too.

Neither company have cornered the market on best designed accessories, so it's nice to be able to choose.

#275006 - 11/03/09 02:56 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Diki Offline

But that's a generic MIDI footcontroller, there... got to be a boatload of programming to get it to do whatever you want... (unless you stick to Yamaha's preset assignments)

Roland is just seven dumb switches. But the arranger does all the assigning to them, storable on board. Make a simple task simpler is usually the best solution

Perhaps in regular arranger mode, if you aren't doing stuff that has changes all the time you have time to mess with the fills, but in either Pianostyle mode (where BOTH hands are playing full time) or fast uptemo stuff with changes every few beats, I just don't see how you can play them without SOME kind of foulup getting to the buttons and back.

Lord knows, it's one of the things I notice a LOT in amateur demos. Timing of the fill, or the notes themselves get screwed up a LOT when you have to dive off the chord hit one tiny button amidst a bunch of other tiny buttons, and get back to the next chord (usually late and/or clammed ).

As I asked Donny... if you HAVE to trigger a fill on beat 2 AND change chords, which do you choose to play incorrectly?

#275007 - 11/03/09 03:16 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I vote for a "...small module version of a Tyros, Kopg PA series, or high end Roland arranger(s)..."
Ciao,
Jerry

#275008 - 11/03/09 03:21 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
ianmcnll Offline

I never use piano-style mode on my arranger....always split keyboard, usually at F#2, G2, or A2.

Getting to the fills has never been a problem...fast tempo, slow tempo...doesn't matter...it's second nature...I could practically do it in my sleep...hey, that might come in handy some day.

The Yamaha style control buttons are perfectly located on the S910 and Tyros...close enough to reach easily, and far enough so there are no accidents.

The S910 has rubbery buttons that feel great and never get slippery....they should be on all arrangers.

I'd no sooner use a multiple foot switch than I would use bass pedals again.

We all have our preferences.

#275009 - 11/03/09 03:24 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
I vote for a "...small module version of a Tyros, Kopg PA series, or high end Roland arranger(s)..."
Ciao,
Jerry

What do you envision controlling them with?

Unless you strip off all the buttons, sliders, knobs and the great big diplay, it's going to cost pretty close (if not more, because of economy of scale) to what the keyboard version does...

And I have yet to see any MIDI controller keyboard with enough knobs, sliders and a touch display (or Yamaha style 'buttons surrounding the screen') for full arranger control. With an arranger, it's VERY important which side of the keyboard which controls are... If you can't have a bank of buttons (for Variation and Fill select, Start/Stop, etc.) VERY close to your LH's chord area, you are screwed...

Count how many of the controls you actually use on your current arranger, and where they are positioned. Now look for a controller with the same layout. Not so easy, is it?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 11-03-2009).]

#275010 - 11/03/09 03:28 PM Re: Regarding arranger modules....
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I never use piano-style mode on my arranger....always split keyboard, usually at F#2, G2, or A2.

We all have our preferences.

My preference is to be able to use ANY mode that the arranger provides..

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online