SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#274956 - 11/01/09 11:40 AM Re: Is it Time?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Actually, Casio did make an arranger module back around 1989, called the CSM-1.

http://www.synthmania.com/CSM-1.htm

#274957 - 11/01/09 11:49 AM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep, that's it Donny.

Listen to the DEMO song "Nightbirds" on that page.

I used to play that tune on my Electone for the opening of my demo....

What a cool "plastic" sound the CSM-1 had...very retro....and very dated.

#274958 - 11/01/09 01:05 PM Re: Is it Time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orla still make a couple based on their organs, presumably targeted at accordionists in their native Italy, but they're nothing to write home about.
http://www.orla.net/xm900.php

#274959 - 11/01/09 04:49 PM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

The type of arranger module I am talking about is not for accordion or guitar players but for keyboard players.
And, the point of making an arranger module is not to make it the same size as its keyboard counterpart.
I know Ketron and Gem make arranger modules and they would say they do not sell and that is because they made it wrong.

You can not make it big and bulky and you can not make it almost the same size as a keyboard. And, you can not charge the same price you would a keyboard.
I am sorry but the arranger modules that are out there are not for keyboard players.

If people are saying that arranger modules would not sell then they are saying that arrangers would not sell.

The key to an arranger module would be how you market it.

With an arranger module, you can reach more people than you could with an arranger keyboard.

If Roland and Korg can not sell arranger modules (which would be an item that would be an addition rather than a replacement to someone’s rig), why do they think they would be able to sell more arranger keyboards (when they are asking persons to replace a major item in their rig)?

Remember arrangers are much more accepted now than they were years ago. Roland and Korg had arranger modules back in the day. They saw the value of having a module; it was just that arrangers were not accepted at that time.

But from talking with some manufacturers about arranger modules, they use the argument that Yamaha uses when we ask Yamaha for a 76 key arranger (the 9000 story).
Contrary to what some people believe, the reason for not having an arranger module is not that it will cost a lot to make it but that manufacturers are afraid to make it.

#274960 - 11/01/09 05:04 PM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
The key to an arranger module would be how you market it.

You're probably right...how would you go about marketing an arranger module?

What suggestions would you pass on to the manufacturer to ensure success?

I am sure that any ideas you may have to promote such a product would be duly noted by the Big Three.

I am not being sarcastic...I'm serious...how would you "encourage" the marketing mavens to get the ball rolling on the production of such a product?

#274961 - 11/01/09 05:26 PM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

Well for starters, you can not just market it as an arranger module. How boring!
You have to market it as –this thing that you connect to your keyboard and get great sounds and styles that make you sound like a band--.
Remember, the market is not just your traditional arranger players but more generally those keyboard players who find them selves doing OMB/DJ type gigs.

Do you remember the hyped the SR16 drum machine had when it first came out?

The sad thing about it is that the company who could really pull this off is the company who is least likely to do it (Yamaha).

This however may be something that Casio could take advantage of if they want to get in to MOTL and TOTL arrangers. It would add a fresh name to the professional arranger market.

#274962 - 11/01/09 06:09 PM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

The best way to sell someone on a product is to "paint a dream" for them.

The mark...er...prospect, should be painted a picture whereby they can envision themselves reaping the benefits of having an arranger module integrated with their keyboard/digital piano/workstation/older arranger.

Start from there, and expand on the advantages and possibilities.

#274963 - 11/02/09 02:47 AM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

One other advantage of an arranger module is that it could present an opportunity for another brand to have full midi implementation on their keyboard arranger.

If brand A has a keyboard arranger and brand B has an arranger module, then their would be more incentive for brand A to have much better arranger midi implementation on their arranger.
I know when some people think of an arranger module the first thing they think is take away the keys from an arranger and you have a module. That would be the worst way you could do it.
This arranger module I am talking about is not another version of the existing TOTL arranger but it is more a precursor to the next TOTL arranger.

But you must also keep in mind that the arranger module is not just for some one to midi an arranger to the arranger module You can also midi a WS to the arranger module where midi implementation is good.
On the arranger module panel it will at least have the variation, fill, intro and endings, sound and style selection and registration buttons.

And if brand A is making an arranger module, they should look at brand B, C, D E F’s arranger keyboard and see what type of midi capabilities they have and brand A arranger module should have receive midi implementation that could work with them.

A good arranger module that is popular and purchased by people would put pressure on arranger manufacturers to implement midi on their arranger.
And, the company that makes the arranger module would be in the same line up as their competition.
If you can’t beat them, join them.

#274964 - 11/04/09 03:27 AM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
I fully agree with the post by "to the genesys"

His comments are almost identical to what I have said when, some time ago, I made a post on here and also on another site regarding the lack of modules.

I have, in the past, already written to Roland and Korg because both of these companies have previously sold some of their products in module form.

Ketron is alone among the arranger manufacturers in that they have always produced a module. I still use a Solton MS40 - still ultra reliable after many years of use and humping around on gigs. This has a few sounds which are still better than some on both my Tyros3 & Technics KN7000.

The Ketron SD3 is a brilliant module, let down only because it has stuck with the outdated floppy disk rather than build in a USB pen drive fitting. It can be bought with a Hard Drive but this is a rip-off by Ketron - the price difference is disgusting when you consider the cheap prices of giant hard drives which are on the market now.

As I have stated before, If every manufacturer offered a module, I would definitely buy them all - easy to swap around (or even use in unison) and there is no better way of sussing a keyboard out without a big spend. It was the use, many years ago, of a Technics SMAC 1200 module, (which I still have - working perfectly) which turned me onto Technics keyboards and led to me buying many of their products. This should be all the incentive any manufacturer needs.
Tony

Regarding your experience with Technics that is a reason that a lot of persons over look for an arranger module.

The arranger module would not be for someone to replace their current arranger but it would provide them with arranger sounds, styles and features from another manufacturer.

You would not have every conceivable button on the arranger. You would have the essential buttons for gigging.

And, as Diki has stated on another thread, a foot pedal can be use to eliminate having to use your hand for some of the most used functions on an arranger. So I think he also understands how an arranger module can be used.

After you have the arranger module, when the real TOTL arranger comes out the customer may have been converted to that brand. And if not, the manufacturer has their name in that person’s rig.

You would have to look at the arranger as a marketing tool for the manufacturer.

Its like the I phone. It has computer task that are best done on a computer. But what the I phone does is saturate the market with Mac tools and products so when selling computers, Mac has the reference to I phones. Same thing with arranger modules.

So if Korg, Roland or Casio wants to get back in to the arranger market (TOTL or MOTL), they may be well served to take a new approach.

Not to mention, they could encourage some of the ws market with this new machine.

I know there is another thread about arranger modules, but that is a completely different product than what I am talking about. Over there, they are just talking about taking the keys from an arranger and selling it as a module. That is far from what I am advocating.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online