SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#274936 - 11/01/09 05:58 AM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

Roland and Korg need to get the professional part of the Yamaha arranger market.
They are not going to do that by making another keyboard.
They have to entice customers to buy their product.
They also have to have something fresh to add to the arranger market. It would need to be marketed well.
An arranger module would be the best and most cost effective way of doing so.
If I am a serious musician with a T3 and limited money, I am not going to jump ship and put down a lot of money to get another brand unless I have developed a relationship with that other brand.

O and incremental upgrades on a new keyboard is not necessarily the best way to go. Yamaha could do that because they know the type of market they have. Korg and Roland have a more mature and discerning market. Do you think if Korg came out with a new keyboard with DNC in stead of an OS upgrade that would have gone down well with its market?

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 11-01-2009).]

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 11-01-2009).]

#274937 - 11/01/09 06:04 AM Re: Is it Time?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
Quote Dnj:
nah....too may wires to hook up who wants to carry & setup more stuff to gigs........instead I'd like to see them bring back Pro looking "BLACK" keyboards!!

Some are not interested in modules & I respect that but some of us love them.

Much easier than carrying 2 keyboards, as I used to before I started using Modules. Wires needed (2) are just the same as a those for a second keyboard - just 1 midi cable & 1 audio lead. Setting up my Solton MS40 module takes less than 1 minute and repays me infinitely with the extra sounds at my command.

Some may be sold on Pro looking BLACK keyboards - I don't care whether my gear looks Pro or not as long as it sounds good.
Two different sources of sounds & styles bring far more variation of the total sound you create and each fills in the other's weak spots.
Tony

The only way any keyboard sounds good is if the player plays good plain & simple. Ian is right on the money about modules. If you like them Ketron is the way to go. But for me less is more always.

#274938 - 11/01/09 06:11 AM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
nah....too may wires to hook up who wants to carry & setup more stuff to gigs........instead I'd like to see them bring back Pro looking "BLACK" keyboards!!
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=439

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-01-2009).]

And if your favorite manufacturer does not have a black pro looking keyboard, an arranger module is the perfect solution. You can use your favorite black pro looking keyboard (arranger or workstation) midied to the arranger module and you have the best of both worlds.

So the workstation players who frown on arrangers but secretively would like to use them on gigs, can do so with an arranger module.

And, it would not take but one additional minute to set-up an arranger module for the benefit of having fresh sounds and styles.

#274939 - 11/01/09 06:26 AM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Yamaha could do that because they know the type of market they have. Korg and Roland have a more mature and discerning market. Do you think if Korg came out with a new keyboard with DNC in stead of an OS upgrade that would have gone down well with its market?

Yes, Yamaha know their market well...that's why they are successful at selling to both the mature and discerning client, as well as the one who just plays for fun.

You obviously don't have a Yamaha, so where do you stand? Mature and discerning? Naah...you play a GEM Genesys...you're in it for all the fun you can have, aren't you, you sly fellow you!

"You can tell the age of the boys, by the price of their toys."

If Korg had brought out a new keyboard with the DNC, it would have sold very well, alongside the other PA series.

Yamaha brought out SA2 on the T3, and it sold very well...just like the Tyros2 with SA sold very well.

Tyros2 are very popular on the second hand market....they are still a bargain for the mature and discerning.

Roland and Korg aren't bringing out new TOTL arrangers because they can't.

They have no money, and/or nothing really new technologically.

Meanwhile, we await the Tyros4 eagerly....I don't mind a company selling me "anticipation" as long as the deliver in the end, which Yamaha always manages to do quite well.

Come on, Genny, trade in that outdated GEM for a real mature and advanced arranger...get yourself a Tyros3, or a PSR-S910, and have fun whilst being mature and discerning.

Arranger modules aren't profitable...that's why Roland stopped making the RA-series.

And, as Donny said..."too many wires" for the home, semi-pro, and the occasional mature and discerning player to deal with.

BTW...I am most certainly not "mature", as I play for fun(and get paid well for it), but, I am "discerning" so I chose Yamaha above the rest, even though the rest do make fine instruments.

#274940 - 11/01/09 06:33 AM Re: Is it Time?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
BTW...I am most certainly not "mature", as I play for fun(and get paid well for it), but, I am "discerning" so I chose Yamaha above the rest, even though the rest do make fine instruments.

SPOT ON POST Ian...after all my auditioning of Arrangers in the last few years I can finally say as of today I am very happy with what Yamaha has done with arrangers for my needs.

#274941 - 11/01/09 06:35 AM Re: Is it Time?
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Another big advantage of modules is that those guys who like more than 61 notes or weighted action (and there are many) could use the master keyboard they prefer and still be playing a Tyros3, Korg PA2X or Roland E80 - IF - these manufacturers produced the modules.
Most would probably have 2 modules on the top - quite a lot to go at there.

Not going to happen! - I know, but it still makes sense and we can dream.
Tony

#274942 - 11/01/09 06:36 AM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:

So the workstation players who frown on arrangers but secretively would like to use them on gigs, can do so with an arranger module.

Are these people so insecure they can't use an arranger on a gig?

Wow! That's pretty sad.

I use what I want, and I only have to please me, not try to impress someone else...it's not what instrument you play, but how you play.

Of course, I might be a little embarrassed if I had to play a GEM Genesys.

Just kidding about the last part.

Totally serious about the first.

#274943 - 11/01/09 06:45 AM Re: Is it Time?
Beakybird Offline

I don't think people give Yamaha credit for all of the new S.A. regular voices the T3 has over the T2.

If it were just the S.A.2 voices, and there are few of them, that wouldn't be a big deal, but there are several dozen new S.A. voices and new Mega!Voices and new drums.

Sure, The T3 would have been a complete coup if they had included a TC Helicon quality harmonizer.

An arranger module is an interesting idea, especially if you can assign buttons on your controller.

I still prefer one piece of equipment for an easy setup and take down - in my case, 10 minutes or less.

Beakybird

#274944 - 11/01/09 06:54 AM Re: Is it Time?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Johnson:
Another big advantage of modules is that those guys who like more than 61 notes or weighted action (and there are many) could use the master keyboard they prefer and still be playing a Tyros3, Korg PA2X or Roland E80 - IF - these manufacturers produced the modules.
Most would probably have 2 modules on the top - quite a lot to go at there.

Not going to happen! - I know, but it still makes sense and we can dream.
Tony

That would be nice, Tony...no doubt modules would be handy, but as friend Diki pointed out on another thread, the manufacturers have to allow their respective instruments (or modules) to talk to one another.

Sure, a Roland module will work best with a Roland controller, or arranger, and the same for Yamaha with Yamaha...it's when you mix 'em up that you get problems.

Roland got out of making them for a reason...not profitable? Too complicated for the average user?

Whatever it was, they dropped them cold turkey.

#274945 - 11/01/09 07:08 AM Re: Is it Time?
to the genesys Offline

Ianmcnll: yes I play the Genesys. But if I were in the market for a new arranger I would not buy a T3, Pa2x nor a G70. As I am unfamiliar with the sounds and styles of those brands. Now if either of them had a module, I would be more willing to buy the module, see how the sounds and styles work for me and then when the TOTL comes out I may be willing to go for that. If I don’t at lease I have another sound and style source and the
manufacturer would have gotten my money.

Arranger Modules are not making money because there are no modules out there by the big 3. You have to make the product in order to make money from the product.

I do agree that Korg and Roland are not making a TOTL arranger not just because they have no money to make it but they are a little uncertain if they could make money from it in this economy.

That is why the module is really their best option.

For Roland and Korg as it relates to arrangers, they have to play or go home.

Again, they have to get those person who may have gotten one of their TOTL arrangers but chose Yamaha instead. A module would be the most effective way of doing so.

And no if Korg had put out a new PA with just the addition of DNC and charged the same as a PA2x pro, they would not have heard the end of it and they may not have had a good number of sales. You see Korg customers are not that gullible as …

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online