SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#274545 - 10/27/09 05:24 PM How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm in the USA on a PC running Windows XP using a standard american keyboard layout.

Is it possible to directly enter (on my keyboard) special letters unique to other european languages (danish, german, finnish etc). Currently the only way I'm able to enter these letters is by 'copying/pasting' them from another source (website/email, etc). These include:

ö
ä
ë
è
é

Is there some combination of keys (alt/ctrl/shift, etc) to enter which will include these unique markings/accents?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

#274546 - 10/27/09 05:42 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott....
Here is a partial answer to your question..for French accents anyway. http://www.french.uiuc.edu/courses/docs/accents.pdf

Eddie

#274547 - 10/27/09 05:47 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
btweengigs Offline

é ê œ à

Yup... the codes even work here. I can't seem to find the O with the slash through it for Jorgen's name though

Eddie

#274548 - 10/27/09 06:06 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Scottyee Offline

Eddie, strangely enough, the keystroke combinations in the link you gave didn't work on my PC, but I finally found (and bookmarked) this site which includes both Mac/Windows keystroke combinations for these & other special characters. These work for me

ä = alt + 0228
ë = alt + 0235
ï = Alt + 0239
ö = Alt + 0246

è = Alt + 0232
é = Alt + 0233

ø = Alt + 0248

Now we can finally properly address email to our european arranger keyboard friends. Hi Jørgen Sørensen !

Scott

#274549 - 10/27/09 06:08 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
btweengigs Offline

Gøød Find Scott.
Your codes are the same as found on 2nd page of the link I posted. However...it didn't contain Jorgen's O.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 10-27-2009).]

#274550 - 10/27/09 07:13 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Beakybird Offline

In Microsoft Word, go to INSERT>SYMBOL. Find the letter you want, and Word will display a shortcut key. There is also the option in the same submenu to change the shortcut key.

That's how I do it, and I type in Spanish frequently. Es fácil niño.

Beakybird

#274551 - 10/27/09 08:40 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
btweengigs Offline

Cool Beakybird. I learned something...but I still can't find Jorgen's slashed O.
Eddie

#274552 - 10/27/09 09:27 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Scott...good to see you on the boards again.

Go to Character Map in Windows "accessories." At the top, click on whatever font you're using. Look for the letter you want, double click on it, and paste it in your document.

I sometimes keep the foreign letters I'll be using in a row at the top of my word processing document and then just scroll up and cut and paste whenever I need one (a letter).

Lucky

#274553 - 10/27/09 09:32 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Also:

Ñ=Alt+164 or 165 I can not remember, one is Caps and the other one is not. Is been a long time I do not use a PC, but I remember that was what works, is from the ASCII.

I have been using an I Mac for almost 3 years, so, all I have to do, is pick the keyboard configurations in any language I wish to use, and that is it, no need to reboot or anything like that, Apple has Icons with the Flags from those countries/languages, and is very simple to get back, just click on the American flag and that is it. )

------------------
mdorantes

#274554 - 10/27/09 10:45 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Scott...good to see you on the boards again.

Lucky, thanks so much for your words of support. Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Go to Character Map in Windows "accessories." At the top, click on whatever font you're using. Look for the letter you want, double click on it, and paste it in your document.

Thanks 4 that valuable Windows tip!

Windows XP:
Start>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map

Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:

Apple has Icons with the Flags from those countries/languages, and is very simple to get back, just click on the American flag and that is it.

Cool concept. Bill Gates had better get on board now with the 'international' flags thing !

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-27-2009).]

#274555 - 10/27/09 11:01 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Cool Beakybird. I learned something...but I still can't find Jorgen's slashed O.
Eddie

To enter Jørgen's " ø ":

Simply press & hold the "ALT KEY", then enter "0248". Works For me.

#274556 - 10/28/09 02:14 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Weird... most of those symbols are simply achieved on a Mac...

ø is Option(alt) o (small O).. å is Option a... in fact here's my Querty with option...

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆∆˚¬Ω≈ç√∫˜µ

Shift option: Œ„´‰ˇÁ¨ˆØ∏ÅÍÎÏ˝ÓÔÒ¸˛Ç◊ı˜Â

plus others for numbers, etc.

Why does Windows make this so hard?

#274557 - 10/28/09 02:49 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Amelius Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Scott

good to see you again after some years, my friend.

ciao from Italy

#274558 - 10/28/09 03:30 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
bomba6 Offline

Loc: Israel
You are writing in Hebrew.
Well, it might be depending on regional settings on each machine.
I have Hebrew Windows 7, Using Firefox 3.5, with page coding of Hebrew (windows-1255).

What I see is Hebrew letters.

#274559 - 10/28/09 09:04 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Nice to see you back Scott!!

#274560 - 10/29/09 09:33 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Is there some combination of keys (alt/ctrl/shift, etc) to enter which will include these unique markings/accents?

Yes . . . on a Mac.

eg, ALT + E = é.

What you guys put up with back there in the Windows world is just NUTS ("Alt + 0233", LOL).

#274561 - 10/29/09 10:53 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:

What you guys put up with back there in the Windows world is just NUTS ("Alt + 0233", LOL).

Nuts yeah , but growing up a Mac fan (we had Macs in school afterall ), I later only reluctantly moved to Windows so I could run critical Yamaha utility software and other 'available on windows only' software. I keep contemplating returning home to the Mac platform, but Mac vs Windows PC prices and far greater windows software availability have kept me on a PC now. That said: Is 'dual boot' or 'Windows emulation software' the better choice for running both the Mac OS and Windows on a Mac?

Scott

#274562 - 10/29/09 11:28 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
What keys do I press (on a Mac) if I want this type of è or ê or ë?

I've been using the Alt + xxx for Unicode special characters since....well, since the days of DOS, I guess. Want a real tough password to crack, throw in a few Unicode special characters (just don't forget the key sequence).

Here's a continuation (from the link above) on keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Word and WordPad (doesn't work in IE).

-mike

#274563 - 10/29/09 03:05 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Scott, nice to see you post again .

Many native characters such as i.e. æ, ø, å (Æ, Ø, Å) etc. are not possible to find in
every fonttype simply because they're not in the particular font library.
To change the location/language for the keyboard (Controlpanel) may be helpful, but
since the characters are not visible on the keyboard itself, it's not a easy way.

Maybe this is a bit helpful?
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/charmap.html

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#274564 - 10/29/09 03:27 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
What keys do I press (on a Mac) if I want this type of è or ê or ë?

If you know your European languages, the accents are all exactly where you'd intuitively look for them.

ALT + ` = è
ALT + i = ê
ALT + u = ë

"Unicode special characters", LOL.

#274565 - 10/29/09 03:34 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A guy walks into the doctor's office and says, "Doc, I haven't had a bowel movement in a week!" The doctor gives him a prescription for a mild laxative and tells him, "If it doesn't work, let me know."

A week later the guy is back: "Doc, still no movement!"

The doctor says, "Hmm, guess you need something stronger," and prescribes a powerful laxative.

Still another week later the poor guy is back: "Doc, STILL nothing!"

The doctor, worried, says, "We'd better get some more information about you to try to figure out what's going on. What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a Mac User."

The doctor looks up and says, "Well, that's it! Here's $10.00. Go get something to eat!"

LOL

#274566 - 10/29/09 08:32 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Thanks to Scott for bringing up this topic and thanks to everyone posting here.

I type the lyrics to foreign songs on 4x6 cards and memorize off of them. I just re-typed some of them using the appropriate letters. Now the Spanish and German look authentic and easier to read.

Lucky

#274567 - 10/30/09 01:07 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Just install more than one keyboard layout and switch using CTRL-SHIFT. The keyboard icon in your system tray will tell you what layout you're using. Véry ëásy :-) løl

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

#274568 - 10/30/09 02:35 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
A guy walks into the doctor's office and says, "Doc, I haven't had a bowel movement in a week!" The doctor gives him a prescription for a mild laxative and tells him, "If it doesn't work, let me know."

A week later the guy is back: "Doc, still no movement!"

The doctor says, "Hmm, guess you need something stronger," and prescribes a powerful laxative.

Still another week later the poor guy is back: "Doc, STILL nothing!"

The doctor, worried, says, "We'd better get some more information about you to try to figure out what's going on. What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a Mac User."

The doctor looks up and says, "Well, that's it! Here's $10.00. Go get something to eat!"

LOL

I don't get it.

#274569 - 10/30/09 05:52 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I don't get it.

The guy apparently spent all his money on the Mac (they tend to be expensive), and didn't have enough left over for food.

BTW, did you get yourself a Prelude, or GW-8?

I just bought and resold a Roland Pro-E...remember that one? Short keyboard.

It even had Super Card with it, and both were in excellent condition...they were well made instruments, and this one had only seen home use, on top of a mint Yamaha Clavinova CLP-300, which I also bought and sold.

BTW2...my buddy uses a Mac in his studio...he loves it, but he's awful thin.

It does music apps exceptionally well.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-30-2009).]

#274570 - 10/30/09 06:51 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
In Canada...don't you need a little more that $10.00 to have a meal???

:-)

Just got back from London...$10.00 didn't buy much!

Lee S.

#274571 - 10/30/09 07:06 AM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Ian,
In Canada...don't you need a little more that $10.00 to have a meal???

:-)

Just got back from London...$10.00 didn't buy much!

Lee S.

Well, Lee, at my place, Chef Stouffer rules the kitchen.

I don't even have a stove...just a microwave, and a toaster oven, and if it doesn't fit in either of those...

I buy only "heart smart" frozen dinners.

You can still get a great pizza (small veggie combo) here in town, for under $10.

London?

Ontario, or England?

#274572 - 10/30/09 12:58 PM Re: How can I Type letters with accents/marking? ö; ä, è, é
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's an old joke, that's why the small amount of money...

Most Macs can be had for FAR less than you spent on your arranger... a Macbook laptop for under $1000, and a Mac Mini (works with your current display) for $599.

Yep, that MIGHT seem a lot compared to an Acer or Notebook, but when you consider all the software (full versions, not crippled demoware) that you get (Garageband alone will cost you over $400 for a PC equivalent), and their top rated customer service and satisfaction ratings (malware is a thing of the past), it starts to even out.

We are prepared to pay through the nose for an arranger that doesn't misbehave, crash, or make simple tasks onerous.. Why are we so eager to cut corners on our computers? Most of us could probably USE a few meals less, anyway!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online