SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#274424 - 10/25/09 09:01 PM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian, I am glad your arranger does just what you want it to do. My G70 does what I want it to do... I just don't ask it to do EVERYTHING

Thing is, I guess it depends at what level you are recording at. My label clients expect a better overall sound than any arranger can get by itself (otherwise I'd be only too happy to use the one thing!). Yes, I've used my G70 on quite a few projects, but I've also HAD to use other things, the Kurzweil, Tritons, Nord's, REAL B3 and Steinway, many VSTi's, whatever I need to record with.

SOME things in the G70 are good enough, some aren't. There's a lot to like about the S910, but I'm pretty sure that, for my use, I'd have to say the same thing for it, too...

#274425 - 10/25/09 09:14 PM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Thing is, I guess it depends at what level you are recording at. My label clients expect a better overall sound than any arranger can get by itself (otherwise I'd be only too happy to use the one thing!).

Well, my friend, my idea (or goal) is that my clients (or listeners) hear the same thing on the CD that they hear when I'm playing "live".

That's why the S910 works for me.

It's a great "live" arranger, that just happens to make recording very easy.

If there was a better keyboard for my arranger needs, I'd have it in a flash....but, I'm content...can't ask for much more than that from an instrument.

#274426 - 10/26/09 10:59 PM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
NUMPAD NUMPAD NUMPAD! I hate selecting sounds on the s-900.
First, pick a category, which is one set of buttons, then, select which page of sounds, which is another set of buttons, then, select which sound on that page, which is yet a 3rd set of buttons. Makes me crazy. Same with the styles. Wish there was a numpad like my XP-80 has and everything is nice and handy using only 1 set of buttons which is as handy and familiar as a calclulator or phone.
Then, I want nord's piano, E-piano, and organ sounds. Yamaha's Super articulation sounds, Roland's SRX-01 drums. And the basses from the SRJV expansion board, and the banjos, dobros, and steel guitars from the SRJV country board. Korg's styles, but Ketron's latin styles. That would be a good start.

#274427 - 10/27/09 06:11 AM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
NUMPAD NUMPAD NUMPAD! I hate selecting sounds on the s-900.

Great suggestion, Rory...I haven't seen number pads on a higher end arranger (at least any brands that I'm familiar with) in quite a while; the last one I remember was the Yamaha PSR-SQ-16.

There's a reason, or reasons why they aren't used much anymore on arrangers...perhaps it is cost, or perhaps they weren't popular enough?

Number pads are more accessible for the visually impaired, am I correct?

Having registration memories has helped a bit, I suppose.

#274428 - 10/27/09 06:47 AM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
Dnj Offline

S910 is close to perfect for my needs sound wise...... for now......great improvements over the S900...

would like only a FEW MORE THINGS.....

MFD to save all information including transpose

Larger RAM memory

FRONT USB access

Independent simultaneous STYLE/SMF/MP3 play

8 OTS buttons

All rear inputs/outputs on one side ......right or left

#274429 - 10/27/09 07:51 AM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
1. Reliability
2. Dependability
3. Functionality
4. versatility
5. Local Serviceability
6. System Stability
7. Great Sounds (all voices & Styles)
8. Reasonable price
9. Light Weight
10.Sunlight Viewable Display and Buttons

All of the above make me a happy camper.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#274430 - 10/27/09 08:32 AM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
124 Offline

We work as a duo so I want my keyboard's harmonizer with two XLR inputs such that it'll take two vocalists and have the ability to switch between them. That is, vocalist one is singing lead while vocalist two is singing harmony. Then, at the press of a button, flip of a switch, or touch of a screen, vocalist two is now singing lead and vocalist one is now singing harmony.

#274431 - 10/27/09 11:17 AM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I guess you could say numpads are accessible for blind people, but man, aren't they accessible for sighted people as well? I mean, you really like using 3 different sets of buttons to get 1 sound? If I have to press 3 buttons, I'd rather it be 065, 114, etc, nice and handy all in one spot.

#274432 - 10/27/09 01:45 PM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
A direct link with my rusty brainsells where it automaticly does what I want while I'm playing.

That's all.

Fred

#274433 - 10/27/09 02:55 PM Re: What do you require in a keyboard
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
A direct link with my rusty brainsells where it automaticly does what I want while I'm playing.

Hey Fred, I think that's called practice. Plus, it's free .

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online