SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#274151 - 10/21/09 07:55 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Even better... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7QSMyz5rg

I have to agree with Donny on this one. Always disliked that tune. All fluff and soooo contrived. And for ME, that video just reminds me of a time in America that I'd just as soon forget. You know what else is amusing (in a perverse kind of way)? Check out the chick at about 1:01 clapping on the upbeat (well, almost on the upbeat ). Without sounding too racial here, I always wondered how the White musicians of that time could hear the beat just fine, but their non-musician counterparts, couldn't. Just looks bizarre (well, to me anyway). You had to wonder, what the hell were they listening to?. I know many Black 'headliner' type musicians of that era who refused to play in circumstances like those reflected in the video, but then again, I guess guys like Booker T and Chubby Checker and Little Richard did, in fact, pave the way for future 'true' crossover artists like Micheal Jackson and others. Interesting.

chas

#274152 - 10/21/09 08:01 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Do you actually think that the audio and video on most YouTube vids are sync'd?

Thanks for the downer Donny and Chas....

#274153 - 10/21/09 08:08 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Mr. Jones didn't use the Leslie much back then, at least in this tune.

I recall Brian Auger wasn't a fan of the Leslie either...I believe he used guitar amps, Marshall I think....they were valve (tube) amps for sure.

#274154 - 10/21/09 08:16 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Dnj Offline

To me the whole Hammond sound thing is a bit overrated...especially when to-days keyboards can simulate close enough to the original to be effective....& plus you have the extra benefits of so many other vintage sounds & many others with EFX and editing capabilities all in one on-board unit. Although I still like to watch a Master at work like Tony Monaco, Joey DeFrancesco & others on a B3........for me it's the player not the instrument...
The Nord Hammond sound is a perfect example.... & let me say that some of the new Yamaha Tyros 3 & S910 organs like the Rock Rotary are VERY authentic & effective.
But to froth at the mouth every time Hammond B3 is mentioned is ridiculous & certainly only a sentimental memory of a bygone era that many of us lived through....but it's time to move on I would say.

#274155 - 10/21/09 08:51 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
ianmcnll Offline

The sound of a Hammond organ is timeless in the way that the sound of an acoustic piano or acoustic guitar is timeless.

Why? Because there is no fossilized, shrink-wrapped Hammond sound. It is not just another preset like Fantasia on a D-50.

The "Hammond sound", if you like, is as much a style, a feeling, a mood, a colour.

The reason for this is simple....the original Hammond organs pumped out their sounds via tone wheels and dusty old switches...all manner of variable mechanics and electronics, which meant that no two instruments really sound quite the same.

Whereas there are no "great" G70s, or Tyros2's, or Korg M1's, (or Nord C-1's) there are certainly great Hammond B-3's....the same is true for Fender Rhodes pianos. They have a "personality".

What would "A Whiter Shade of Pale" sound like on a Lowery, or an Electone, or a PA2X Pro? Nothing like the original.

Hammonds...timeless they were....and still are.

#274156 - 10/21/09 09:01 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Do you actually think that the audio and video on most YouTube vids are sync'd?

Thanks for the downer Donny and Chas....

Looking at the musicians in the vid, this one appears to be in sync.

Sorry about the 'downer' thing. Truth is, I didn't like any of the 'Rhythm and Roll' or 'Rock and Blues' from that era. It could be that the social climate of the times had something to do with it. Or it could be that I just preferred authentic R&B. In any case, most of what I heard in my house growing up was Billy Holiday, Count Basie (my second cousin with whom I spent a considerable amount of time in his house in St. Albans, NY), Lester Young, Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughn, Nat 'King' Cole, and others from that genre'. Later, that evolved into more modern jazz performers. I'm sure those early years and early exposures influenced us all. We all see the world through different cultural filters (I think because of my parents, mine was broader than most
Blacks in my age group). An era that exists as a happy memory for you could easily be a time of psychological pain and suffering for someone else with a different set of life experiences. That's life. But back on topic. I don't care for that tune, I've never been a big fan of Booker T, but I thought it was interesting in the way he was able to show us the subtle ways in which we screw it up.

Cass, go back and check that video again. That chick's rhythm is definitely suspect .

chas

#274157 - 10/21/09 09:26 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Absolutely 100% on the button there Ian...The original Tonewheel's are still revered even after 70+ years and sell for more than their original value whixh says a lot and I rather doubt whether there will be any Tyros 3's in existence in 70 years time...long live the Hammond !!

Noel J

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The sound of a Hammond organ is timeless in the way that the sound of an acoustic piano or acoustic guitar is timeless.

Why? Because there is no fossilized, shrink-wrapped Hammond sound. It is not just another preset like Fantasia on a D-50.

The "Hammond sound", if you like, is as much a style, a feeling, a mood, a colour.

The reason for this is simple....the original Hammond organs pumped out their sounds via tone wheels and dusty old switches...all manner of variable mechanics and electronics, which meant that no two instruments really sound quite the same.

Whereas there are no "great" G70s, or Tyros2's, or Korg M1's, (or Nord C-1's) there are certainly great Hammond B-3's....the same is true for Fender Rhodes pianos. They have a "personality".

What would "A Whiter Shade of Pale" sound like on a Lowery, or an Electone, or a PA2X Pro? Nothing like the original.

Hammonds...timeless they were....and still are.

#274158 - 10/21/09 09:59 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pasadoble:
Absolutely 100% on the button there Ian...The original Tonewheel's are still revered even after 70+ years and sell for more than their original value whixh says a lot and I rather doubt whether there will be any Tyros 3's in existence in 70 years time...long live the Hammond !!

Noel J

Sitting on the bench in front of a B-3 or C-3...nothing compares.

You "played" a clonewheel, but you "rode" a Hammond.

I had a 1957 Hammond B-3 with two Leslie 147 RV (reverb) cabinets...I wasn't popular with the other guys in the band when it came time to move gear, but they all said it was worth the aggravation for that "sound" that nothing else quite duplicates.

Even the key feel is very hard to replicate on a clonewheel, although Hammond-Suzuki is pretty close, even to the type of contacts under the keys.

I had an M-3 at first, with one Leslie 122, but I lucked into the B-3 (and Leslies) that was only used in a home, and was given a coat of Pledge once a week.

Those were the days, my friend.

#274159 - 10/21/09 10:43 AM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
But to froth at the mouth every time Hammond B3 is mentioned is ridiculous & certainly only a sentimental memory of a bygone era that many of us lived through....but it's time to move on I would say.

Is that why you don't perform songs from back then, either? Breathlessly awaiting your Black Eyed Peas medley, in that case...

Anyone notice that it's always those that never played much organ (or piano, or whatever we're reminiscing about) , don't really 'play' so much as 'entertain' and are always the first to admit that they don't even carry the accessories to a gig that would allow one to perform in the same way as the original (bet he doesn't have a swell pedal either ) that are always the first to dismiss the tried and true classics..?

Oh, and it always seems to be 'well, I can't really play that well (but I'll hide it simply saying I'm not really 'into' that type of music) but I'll tell you YOU all ought to 'move on' and leave that music behind (it's boring, really ), while I continue to trot out old Italian chestnuts that predate it by decades'

Might as well 'move on' from real saxophones and trumpets, too, now that cheap arrangers can play them indistinguishable from the original, too (yeah, right! ).

Let's put it this way, Donny... you are a REAL accordion player, yes? So how would you feel about someone telling you that accordions are relics of the past, and modern arrangers are indistinguishable (and more convenient) than the real thing, and you should all just 'move on'?

Thought so...

#274160 - 10/21/09 12:43 PM Re: How do YOU play Green Onions?
Dnj Offline

dicki don't think or assume so much you'll blow a gasket....man that crystal ball is in high gear today eh? ....it's amazing how you know everything, but in reality don't know squat....it's actually humorous to read...impressing YOU in anyway shape or form is the LAST thing on my mind..nor' do I really care what you think to know ...but I will again pull back the reins and stop here.

Now where is my S910 I feel the need to play some Rock Rotary to Green Onions with a nice Cumbia style.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online