SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273993 - 10/16/09 07:30 PM Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

#273994 - 10/16/09 08:40 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks Donny, but sustains are so cheap, why wouldn't someone just buy one and avoid the hassle. I know, some people just like to DIY. And in a pinch, who has the time to go making this very temporary pedal? I guess I'm being too critical over a cute little idea, aren't I. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-16-2009).]

#273995 - 10/17/09 02:39 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Where I'm from they are quite expensive! even the simple ones like Roland F5U costs about $45! Plus it you get a real good rewarding feeling making something like this yourself.

So thank you for the great info!

Doc-Z

#273996 - 10/17/09 12:20 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Over here they are as little as $13. Hardly seems worth the time to make one..
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Keyboard-Sustain-Pedals--2681

#273997 - 10/17/09 12:39 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
In some countries 45$ is the monthly wage, trust me, they will make this and probably sell it.

#273998 - 10/17/09 12:51 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Diki Offline

If you can't afford a sustain pedal, it's unlikely you can afford the arranger to stick it in...

#273999 - 10/17/09 12:58 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use a Roland sustain pedal (DP-10)...the one with the rubber flap that your heel rests on and keeps the pedal from creeping. The flap pivots, and can be folded under for transport....very clever.

I bought a pair of them quite some time ago (nearly 20 years), and they've worked perfectly...very rugged and well made.

Why can't other manufacturers make a similar design...so simple, and yet, so effective?

#274000 - 10/17/09 01:04 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

#274001 - 10/17/09 01:06 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

Yeah, that's the one, Donny. I think they are under $50...a bargain.

#274002 - 10/17/09 01:06 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Nedim:
In some countries 45$ is the monthly wage, trust me, they will make this and probably sell it.

Guess they will start an industry and export it abroad then?
I mean, since a keyboard most cost a lifetime salary and noone
afford a keyboard to plug it into anyway.....

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#274003 - 10/17/09 02:17 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

And when your finished with the sustain pedal.......

make you own keyboard next!
http://www.headfuzz.co.uk/?q=midihack

#274004 - 10/17/09 02:37 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Any momentary contact switch and some sort of holder/enclosure for it would certainly last longer underfoot than a CD jewel case.

The old rubber door stop makes a dandy and inexpensive footswitch case. Punch a hole in the top and install a momentary pushbutton switch.

In a real emergency, you could use a doorbell button.

All out emergency, get a spring loaded clothespin and wrap the paperclips around each tip for normally closed operation, around the tips for normally open. This too will last much longer than a jive A$$ /CD Jewel Case. Heck, those things break at the hinge when you just leave 'em sitting on the shelf. My big foot would crush one on the first operation.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#274005 - 10/17/09 03:02 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
Any momentary contact switch and some sort of holder/enclosure for it would certainly last longer underfoot than a CD jewel case.

The old rubber door stop makes a dandy and inexpensive footswitch case. Punch a hole in the top and install a momentary pushbutton switch.

In a real emergency, you could use a doorbell button.

All out emergency, get a spring loaded clothespin and wrap the paperclips around each tip for normally closed operation, around the tips for normally open. This too will last much longer than a jive A$$ /CD Jewel Case. Heck, those things break at the hinge when you just leave 'em sitting on the shelf. My big foot would crush one on the first operation.

or don't use one at all

#274006 - 10/17/09 06:46 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
--Mac Offline

When I'm playing a piano, I needs me my sustain pedal...
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#274007 - 10/17/09 07:03 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cassp Offline

It amazes me that we can even get an argument going over a silly little DIY project.

#274008 - 10/18/09 06:18 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
It amazes me that we can even get an argument going over a silly little DIY project.

A littlw insight.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Do-People-Argue?&id=1228525

Jerryghr

#274009 - 10/18/09 07:23 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
--Mac Offline

What amazes me is how fast some are wanting to call a "discussion" and argument.

Just agree with whatever, inject no insight of your own, go along with whatever, is that the game?

I won't play.

--Mac

#274010 - 10/18/09 02:31 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
What amazes me is how fast some are wanting to call a "discussion" and argument.

--Mac

The difference, I think, is in the tone or inflections buried in the response. And although we THINK we are invisible behind the cyber-wall, in fact, we aren't. We communicate almost daily, more than some of us communicate with our spouses or kids, and the more we do, the better we are able to read these tiny inflections. Truth is, we know each other better than we think (and probably more than we should). These 'cyber-relationships' are very similar to normal relationships, in that we seek out as friends those with whom we share similar values, similar interests, similar tastes, and similar intellects. Within every cyber-community such as Synthzone, there is an 'eHarmony' at work. There are some that see any hint of disharmony as a threat to the commune and want it immediately squelched. Others see this as a normal part of large group dynamics and, in fact, how many perfectly harmonious REAL families do we know? I think Nigel has an uncanny sense of what is and is not out-of-bounds and 'governs' accordingly.

This has gotten a little off track but I basically agree with MAC that we are sometimes a little too quick on the trigger when defining that transition from 'discussion' to 'argument'. On inner-city basketball courts, the common response to a claim of being fouled, is "I don't see no blood".

chas

#274011 - 10/18/09 04:30 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

Wow what a great Sustain pedal eh? It will work well when playing
1,2, Cha, Cha, Cha,

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-18-2009).]

#274012 - 10/18/09 10:06 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If you can't afford a sustain pedal, it's unlikely you can afford the arranger to stick it in...

What's wrong Diki with that peddle looks like it was designed and produced by K*****N for the A****A, it's probably more reliable.Wonder if it will work on my Bontempi or Clavoline.

PS this site was much better when Auyda was Tosh!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#274013 - 10/19/09 03:53 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cgiles Offline

Is there any way to add "1, 2, cha cha cha" to the list of banned words or phrases? When it starts to get used in practically every other post, apparently to hide the inability to articulate even a simple thought, then the sheer agony of hearing it used over and over and over and over, should be enough to get it on the 'banned list'. Remember how we used to use this tactic as kids to shout another kid down. Since we had no counter-argument (too dumb or too inarticulate), we'd just shout out some gobbledygook. Reminds me a lot of that. In the meantime, we can assign 'idiot points', 1 for each time the phrase is used (2 if it wasn't your phrase to begin with). After accumulating 10 points, the abuser would have to take a mandatory class in "Life without Cliche's".

chas

#274014 - 10/19/09 05:42 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwelMWLBPik

Dont we have enough censor in life as it is now you want to add more?

#274015 - 10/19/09 06:04 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cgiles Offline

This has nothing to do with censorship.......as your response clearly illustrates. I'll bet if we took a poll on how many people would like to never hear that phrase again on this board, not because of censorship, but because it has been used to the point of asininity. I'm guessing even it's original utterer would like to see it retired at this point.

Instead of scouring the 'net like some kind of cliche-bot, looking for a place to plug itself in, why not wait until there is something you'd like to respond to (as opposed to pouncing on anything that moves), compose a response that articulates the point you're trying to make, and THEN post.

chas

#274016 - 10/19/09 07:43 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cassp Offline

Quote:

Thanks for turning up the "discussion"

#274017 - 10/19/09 09:02 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

Actually, Donny's "one two Cha Cha Cha" doesn't bother me at all.

It's just his way.

I'm sure I have "ways" that don't jive with everybody....that's their problem, not mine.

It's just not that big a deal, in my opinion.

#274018 - 10/19/09 09:20 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
124 Offline

Yeah, everybody's got their schtick. Every time I hear the famed phrase, I want to jump up and trip the light fandango and trun cartwheels 'cross the floor . . .

#274019 - 10/19/09 09:35 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

I have to agree with Ian again........

I actually like it better then the phrase
"The Real Deal" in many ways....

#274020 - 10/19/09 09:54 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

You know, there's lots of stuff said to Donny(and me, and Diki, and Chas etc) that is meant as a "dig" or at the very least, an attempt at getting a rise out of that person....supposedly in fun, but sometimes, there can be a darker meaning, the latter, not very often, thankfully.

And sometimes it works.

Donny has his reply for those occasions (courtesy of Joe), that seems to have the same effect on his perpetrators.

Long term members on SZ know just the right buttons to push to get another long termer annoyed...just like a big dysfunctional family.

I miss Fran being here, and what ever happened to "keybplayer" (Mike)?

He hasn't posted in ages.

#274021 - 10/19/09 10:35 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Actually, Donny's "one two Cha Cha Cha" doesn't bother me at all.

It's just his way.

Well let's hope your new found affection for Donny extends past the time when he trades that Yammy in for a Korg (or Keytron, or Roland, or ...... . At that time, all the 'shortcomings' of the S900 will be revealed. Hey, I've got a Tyros2, a Motif ES, and I thinking about getting a WX5 (for fun). Don't I at least get a kiss on the cheek. BTW, I miss Fran too. The air temperature is at least 5 degrees cooler without his presence .

chas

#274022 - 10/19/09 10:49 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Well let's hope your new found affection for Donny extends past the time when he trades that Yammy in for a Korg (or Keytron, or Roland, or ...... .

Hey Chas, buddy, Donny knows how to get under my skin, too...it's just that particular phrase doesn't bug me....it works on you and Diki pretty good.

He's got another Yamaha (the S910), so he'll be happy for awhile.

I'm thinking of getting a Roland...the GW-8/Prelude look promising, once they add style assembly to the OS.

How's the hip?

#274023 - 10/19/09 11:09 AM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

I can deal with just about anything we do here on sz...honestly the one thing that always annoyed me is that most love to talk it up but fall short when someone asks to share their music either publicly or privately (within their little cliques) which would solidify their statements and actually help each other to understand what the heck they are talking about. But instead feel either embarrassed or not worthy to the masses to do so, because of false critiques from others who could be in the know or less talented. You can never tell just by "THE WORD" it has to be listened to. I have more but I'll stop here. Meanwhile I'm ready to hae a beer with onayone anytime & greet ya with a big friendly hug!! That was what was so nice at last years Shreveport jam.....all shields were down and the music flowed for 3 days beginner to pro and everyone wholeheartedly appreciated it & shared & learned from each other music......that my friends is whats its all about!!! I hope to do it again this January 23-26th...I hope to meet MANY of you there. Even you Diki ...
Don M will post all info very soon!

#274024 - 10/19/09 12:53 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Diki Offline

One, two, chas chas chas...

The trouble has got to the point that Donny's (plagiarized) phrase has become not the 'response' to a dig... it has become the 'dig' itself.

But, to be fair, one shouldn't get mad at the inarticulate. It's like becoming mad at a guy in a wheelchair when he can't join you for a cross country run...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-19-2009).]

#274025 - 10/19/09 01:07 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
One, two, chas chas chas...

#274026 - 10/19/09 01:14 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
But, to be fair, one shouldn't get mad at the inarticulate. It's like becoming mad at a guy in a wheelchair when he can't join you for a cross country run...

Yeah, but here on SZ, it's more like being the healthiest guy in the Intensive Care Unit.

#274027 - 10/19/09 02:27 PM Re: Make your own sustain pedal...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yeah, but here on SZ, it's more like being the healthiest guy in the Intensive Care Unit.

I resemble that remark.

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online