SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273476 - 10/08/09 11:02 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Whereas, while many disagree with the G70's styles or sounds (no accounting for taste ), many have praised it specifically for its' keybed. Of course tastes vary... but they tend towards a consensus

Well they have to say something good about it, or you'll wind up getting depressed, and we can't have that.

The G70 has a great action...there....happy?

Now, if they could just figure out how to make the equivalent of Yamaha's SA and Mega voices, and Korg's DNC, (and rumor has it that Casio are in the process of developing something similar...no kidding) and we'd all be thoroughly and utterly charmed, and finally Roland would be back in the game again...but they haven't so far.

Still, it has a great action.

And the piano and organ sounds are rather nice, too.

Now, can we get back on topic and let Donny express his excitement.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-08-2009).]

#273477 - 10/08/09 11:13 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Whereas, while many disagree with the G70's styles or sounds (no accounting for taste ), many have praised it specifically for its' keybed.

....and just as many have complained about the excess weight, and dumped it for lighter equipment.

It's the perfect arranger for you, Diki, and that's peachy...but the consensus also says it weighs too much to be worth dragging around for it's nice keybed and fine piano sound.

Some things, no matter how good they seem to some, just aren't worth the hassle, for others.

#273478 - 10/09/09 06:37 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Well they have to say something good about it, or you'll wind up getting depressed, and we can't have that.

The G70 has a great action...there....happy?

Now, if they could just figure out how to make the equivalent of Yamaha's SA and Mega voices, and Korg's DNC, (and rumor has it that Casio are in the process of developing something similar...no kidding) and we'd all be thoroughly and utterly charmed, and finally Roland would be back in the game again...but they haven't so far.

Still, it has a great action.

And the piano and organ sounds are rather nice, too.

Now, can we get back on topic and let Donny express his excitement.

#273479 - 10/09/09 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
....and just as many have complained about the excess weight, and dumped it for lighter equipment.

It's the perfect arranger for you, Diki, and that's peachy...but the consensus also says it weighs too much to be worth dragging around for it's nice keybed and fine piano sound.

Some things, no matter how good they seem to some, just aren't worth the hassle, for others.

Spot On Ian....personally I will always go by my rule of thumb.....I don't care what instrument anyone plays & enjoys...what I do care about is "what does it sounds like" when THEY Play it & I listen!

#273480 - 10/09/09 08:34 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Donny

Are you using the S910 with the Bose L1 Compact?

I'm still using the PSR3000 and in the mono mode the piano is terrible. In stereo on a larger gig it sounds just OK to me.

I'm very interested in the piano sound especially in mono because a lot of my gigs are NH's "mono".

How good is the piano in the S910? Is it from the Tyros series?

Thanks.

Peter

#273481 - 10/09/09 08:49 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Just to clarify my above comments to Diki, which were said with tongue firmly planted in cheek (hence the smileys).

I have the utmost respect for Diki and his choice in arrangers...he is no fool, and his wisdom on keyboards is vast, and he knows what he wants.

The G70, and it's sister, the E-80 (which I at one time seriously considered buying) are super instruments, and in spite of their age, are still very much contemporary arrangers.

Casio and Yamaha may have been responsible for home keyboards (arrangers) in the first place, but it was Roland that has been largely responsible for them growing up.

In 1988 or thereabouts, after Roland acquired the Italian keyboard firm, SIEL, the E-20 and it's brethren, took the arranger world by complete surprise, with their highly polished sounds and ultra-realistic "styles" (I think they coined that word, by the way).

It forced Yamaha and the others to re-think their arranger line, and of course, we all benefited.

Roland was, and still is a force to be reckoned with, and the release of the GW-8 and Prelude, shows that they can make lighter instruments that still have terrific sounds and features.

As I said earlier, my comments aren't meant to insult, as I'm sure Diki, and others who own Roland arrangers, are hopefully aware of, and only meant as jocular banter.

And yes, they have great actions...and yes, they weigh too much (the keyboards, that is)

#273482 - 10/09/09 09:07 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:
Donny

Are you using the S910 with the Bose L1 Compact?

I'm still using the PSR3000 and in the mono mode the piano is terrible. In stereo on a larger gig it sounds just OK to me.

I'm very interested in the piano sound especially in mono because a lot of my gigs are NH's "mono".

How good is the piano in the S910? Is it from the Tyros series?

Thanks.

Peter

Yes I use it with the BC...I personally love the sound as Piano is not my main sound use, I utilize many sounds when I play & sing. But I would suggest if your "MAINLY A PIANO" driven player...go with a stereo setup. This Piano phase topic has been discussed in debt....please do a search on SZ.

#273483 - 10/09/09 11:42 AM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you are going to use the Yamaha piano as your primary, right-hand instrument I suggest going to the PSR-Tutorial site and downloading the grand piano I created a couple years ago. I created the voice for use with a mono system when I first purchased the standard Bose L1. It has been downloaded hundreds of times and used by a large number of performers, both in the U.S. and U.K.. The sound is very full, rich and works extremely well with the new Bose L1 compact.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#273484 - 10/09/09 02:26 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Just to clarify my above comments to Diki, which were said with tongue firmly planted in cheek (hence the smileys).

.......... edit........

As I said earlier, my comments aren't meant to insult, as I'm sure Diki, and others who own Roland arrangers, are hopefully aware of, and only meant as jocular banter.

And yes, they have great actions...and yes, they weigh too much (the keyboards, that is)

Likewise, back atcha', Ian (and those that use PSR's)

There's MUCH about the Yamaha's that I only DREAM were on my Roland, Yamaha have taken a huge leap forward from the early days when Roland lead. Sadly, except in a few respects, Yamaha lead the way firmly.

BUT.... those few things are the ones I primarily value. Live 'in your face' sound, styles not so busy they allow you to really play, and an action that is comfortable and requires little adjustment to, no matter WHAT sound you use. Oh, and a killer piano!

But I would be happy to have the Mega guitars and basses, SA sounds, and many of the Yamaha OS touches (like replacing an SMF drums with arranger ones, etc.) on my G70. Of course, Roland are no more likely to do that than Yamaha are to change how they see what they think a good arranger should be...

And this is why I cry in the wilderness for a 'standardized' MIDI code for controlling arrangers. I would only be TOO happy to purchase an S910 to ADD it to the features I like in my G70. And, from reading between the lines, I am sure that, if it WERE possible to MIDI a GW-8L to an S910 and control them as one, Ian MIGHT get one of those. But neither of us is likely to drop our favorite arranger to gain what the other one has that is good...

Ian, if ever they ask you for feedback at Yamaha, tell them that if they want their sales to get even BETTER, allow the MIDI codes for variation/fill/intro/ending/performance#, etc. to be user defined... Then Korg, Roland, Ketron, Casio, whatever, can be hooked up and they play as ONE. That's a LOT of players there that would love to add what is good about the PSR's to what they already have.

Trust me, Roland don't give a DAMN about increasing their sales (pretty obvious over the past five years or so ), so it's going to have to come from Yamaha, I think.

Ian and I 'banter' quite a bit, but please, don't confuse it for lack of respect! Au contraire, mon frére!

Diki the Crippled

#273485 - 10/09/09 05:08 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Dnj Offline

So to get back on topic.......today's gig 2nd with the S910 went very well....
I usually in my full setup have a laptop and mixer on my top tier of my Apex KB stand which would also create the needed shade for the S900 display screen below to see it brighter......on NH gigs I would where i dont use the LT/MXR I would just put my calender book across on it to shade the screen. Today on a High End Assisted living gig I only used one tier and DID NOT NEED to put anything on the top to see the S910's display...it was super bright and crystal clear.....yamaha got it right this time!! That feature alone is worth the price for me...

At the end of the show I always do
God Bless America for our veterans using the S900 US March style which I'm very used too playing it has a super intro..........everyone stood up and was ready to sing, but when I hit the first chord I hear a COMPLETLY DIFFERENT INTRO & ENDING!Which btw sounded fantastic.. .. the style was the same throughout...the OTS sounds were brighter fuller. A very pleasant surprise. I need to do more exploring to see what Yamaha has done to some of the Styles & OTS when I get a chance & make some switches fromn the S900 ones.... S910 so far, so good!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-09-2009).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online