SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273466 - 10/08/09 08:48 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Beakybird Offline

Speaking of piano, I'm noticing that most of the T3 styles - and btw, there aren't that many styles unique to the T3 that weren't on the T2, and the T2 styles don't need any tweaking on the S910 - as I was saying, most of the T3 styles that have piano, when they're loaded into the S910, they revert to the GM piano, so you have to change that to the Live!Piano which sounds better.

Is the piano any better? I don't think so. It's the same piano, which sounds great in a mix, and pretty good all by itself. Evidently, the T3 has a better piano, otherwise the S900 wouldn't change it to the GM piano.

Beakybird

#273467 - 10/08/09 09:15 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
zuki Offline

Have fun, Yamaha lovers

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#273468 - 10/08/09 09:28 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yeah, the piano in the PSR-S910 is the same Live!Grand that's in the S900...I like it; it works very well for playing along with styles...I take a bit of the filter brightness down by -12 and it works nice with Jazz Ballads....rounds off the edge really nice.

No complaints about the piano from me.

#273469 - 10/08/09 09:37 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I have been told that the keybed is still very ordinary, short keys and short throw. VERY synthy.

But feel is so subjective. What I don't understand is how some who profess to be such great keysmen, can actually put up with such crappy keybed actions...

Even the Audya, at $9000 (out here) has a keybed that is more "plasticky" than the SD1. At that price I would expect at least something like the G70/Pa2xpro keybeds.

The S910 (retailing here for around $3400), I have been told has a worse keybed than the PA800, and that even a couple of Casios are better too. Personally I cannot say, as I have not played one, but I have played the PA800 and to me its pretty ordinary.

So for me no matter HOW good it sounded, if the feel is wrong, the whole keyboard is wrong.

#273470 - 10/08/09 09:48 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

I have said this many times...I love the feel of the PSR's keybed...in fact, I prefer it over the Tyros...it works perfect for my needs...light, fast, and accurate.

I have a digital piano if that's what I want to play...the PSR series are unashamedly arrangers...and they do the job quite well for pros as well as amateurs or home players.

Key feel is very subjective and personal; so you will have many differing opinions.

I've never played a Korg arranger...they won't carry them in my area; but I have heard great things about the PA-800 from Uncle Dave and Zuki, and they are pros, so it must be pretty good.

Wow! $9000 for an Audya...and it's not even finished yet!

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-08-2009).]

#273471 - 10/08/09 10:06 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
124 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
30 some years ago, there was so little food in the house, the mice left

You think you were poor? You could've come round my house and read the curtains.

#273472 - 10/08/09 10:14 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Dnj Offline

Took the S910 on stage an hour after I opened the box and loading my files and took my White-Out and marked the Master volume knob notch and rear Vol pod.. I'd say it's 75% a S900...But that other 25% is worth the upgrade alone.

The display is without a doubt 200% better then the S900...viewable at any angle and crisp & clear, Yamaha listened!......graphics are a bit different as is icons & color schemes. I noticed also that on teh top border of the display where on the S900 you had Transpose +/- & Octave +/_ you now have on the S910 the Mp3 playing Time.........and they put the transpose/Octave info in the middle of the screen. The White buttons replaced the Black ones which were hard to see against the black display bezel....now it's easy to see & not make a mistake. Unit feels a pound or two lighter also. Key-feel seems a bit more resistant probably because it's new. But it has the same lightning fast action which I love to play..

All S900 info loaded without a hitch and played great.....I did notice some nice changes in style sounds on teh same styles I used in the S900 regarding the mega voices which is definitely an overall... improvement. I used the same EQ as my S900 and the drums on the S910 sound a bit more punchy as do the styles.

Mp3 player really is nice and plays clear and surprisingly loud. Easy to do a file search off your usb thumb drive also.

I also noticed that the factory OTS sounds are definitely better produced and really compliment the styles...especially the guitars.

Well thats it for now it's late I'll have more to report after I dig into it in the coming days.

Enjoy

#273473 - 10/08/09 10:18 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Keyfeel... here we go again!

Let's put it this way... If Yamaha thought the PSR keybed was any good, they'd stick it on their Tyros and Motif lines..! Maybe on the Clavinova line too...

It's the cheapest keybed they make. Perfect for the 'home' user, who, apparently in Yamaha's viewpoint, don't need anything anywhere NEAR as good as their Motif or Tyros users.

#273474 - 10/08/09 10:34 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

No, it ain't the cheapest keybed they make ...and, as I said earlier, key feel will always be a personal choice.

If I wanted semi-weighted I'd get a Tyros, which has the best action by far of any arranger (IMO), but I like the fast and even touch of the PSR.

And besides...all light actions feel even lighter to those used to semi-weighted keybeds...you adjust after a bit...just like going from non-power steering, to powered.

Pros have no problem adjusting to different actions...guitar players do it all the time...some like the strings laying on the frets...some like them so high you could limbo under them.

You can't equate light with cheap or flimsy; not in this day and age...my PSR's have stood up to a lot of playing, far more that the usual home user, and maybe even more than most pros...and I'm, a piano player, so I'm not real gentle.

Some people, in duos, for instance, are lucky to have someone help them with their overweight arrangers...those who perform solo, don't have that luxury, so weight will be an important consideration....hence the popularity of the PSR line for pros.

#273475 - 10/08/09 10:50 PM Re: Yamaha S910 It's Here!!!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, in my line of work, you end up playing just about everything... grand pianos, B3's, most synths, Rhodes, you name it. Of course you adjust to each... Doesn't mean you have to LIKE them, though

My needs on my overweight arranger are for it to basically cover ANY need, from solo (which I can manage quite well, thank you ) to full band, calling for B3 AND grand piano and everything in between. Thing about that is, to do them all well DOES take rather different actions. Rather than have to adjust my technique (which I really DO need for the real thing), I find an action that requires the least compromise to each different technique.

It's just that, in general, you don't tend to hear the PSR's praised SPECIFICALLY for its' great action. Whereas, while many disagree with the G70's styles or sounds (no accounting for taste ), many have praised it specifically for its' keybed. Of course tastes vary... but they tend towards a consensus

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online