SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#273213 - 10/06/09 09:01 PM Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Dnj Offline

#273214 - 10/06/09 10:22 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You KNOW she's not real... she doesn't bitch at the piano player for playing it too fast, and stays at the end to help pack the PA away!

#273215 - 10/06/09 10:36 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
You KNOW she's not real... she doesn't bitch at the piano player for playing it too fast, and stays at the end to help pack the PA away!

Diki,

Made in Japan know what I mean!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#273216 - 10/07/09 05:26 AM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Diki,

Made in Japan know what I mean!

Japan is better then Italy at this point eh?

#273217 - 10/07/09 09:38 AM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Japan is better then Italy at this point eh?

I think you missed his point.

chas

#273218 - 10/07/09 11:13 AM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was "made in Japan", but that's ancient history!

R.

#273219 - 10/07/09 12:07 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But, she might run off with the electric drummer and start her own band.

DonM

#273220 - 10/07/09 12:16 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Diki Offline

She needs a chicken hat before she can be the 'real deal'...

Bet she doesn't know the 'Napkin Song' either. Mind you, she'll play it all night long if you program her. Guess things HAVE got much closer than we thought...

#273221 - 10/07/09 12:48 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
Diki Offline

But seriously...

It's actually a pretty good topic title. "Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?...." (Mind you, the robot would have spelled it right )

You see, what's the difference between a singing robot, and a DJ? It's a completely valid question. BOTH provide music with no human assistance whatsoever. But I don't see how this impacts MUSICIANS. There's no musicians in this clip. There's no musicians there when a DJ plays (as much as we'd like to fool ourselves), either. A robot could do as good a job.

The more we prostitute ourselves, and act as a DJ, or a karaoke presenter, the LESS we are musicians. So, for us to actually HAVE a future as a musician, we should stay clear of blurring the line any more than it already is. Personally, I am of the opinion that a musician is someone who MAKES music. Not someone who works a CD player, or karaoke machine (whether disguised as an arranger or not ).

Are singers 'musicians'? That's a question with a LOT of different answers..! Once again, I am on the side of those that either actually accompany themselves, or those that use REAL musicians to accompany them. Otherwise, what is the difference between themselves and some poor Joe Schmo in a karaoke bar? Can he claim to be a 'musician'? If you whistle in the shower, are you a 'musician'?

As long as we ourselves (REAL musicians, for the most part, here at SZ) keep lowering the bar for what is acceptable to do and STILL be called a 'musician', the more we open ourselves up to competition from those with no skills at all (DJ's) and even robots, for Pete's sake, to be labeled as 'musicians'.

Not a day I look forward to, especially knowing some of my peers actually made it happen...

For us to even HAVE a future as 'musicians', we need defend vigorously what a musician IS. And so far, it seems we are only TOO delighted to water it down and dilute the definition. I mean, it's sexy to CALL yourself a 'musician'... it's got all kinds of connotations better than 'tape operator' or 'jukebox maintenance engineer'. But for it to have any meaning, it can't be those things. Or the jukebox operators (and robots!) can call themselves 'musicians' with impunity...

#273222 - 10/07/09 12:57 PM Re: Singing robot takes requests is this whats next in our future as musicians also?....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Had a DJ tell me the other day where he was going to "play" next. I wanted to beat him on the head, but that probably wouldn't have hurt him.

Russ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online