SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#272431 - 10/12/09 08:33 PM Re: Sound quality of S910 vs Tyros 2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Scott,

The PSR-S910 sounds more like the Tyros2 than the T3 (only natural, I guess).

I was one who liked the Tyros2's sound better than the Tyros3...it sounds "sweeter" to me.

The S910 has the registration buttons in the middle (so did the S900).

I'm very pleased with the S910...as Beaky says, it plays all the Tyros2 styles, and even some of the T3 styles (with a bit of tweaking).

#272432 - 10/12/09 11:31 PM Re: Sound quality of S910 vs Tyros 2
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Uh, yeah, that's what I wanted to say.

Hey, Scott, could you post a demo of that effect you're talking about with the horns that people go ape over.

Beakybird

HI Beakybird

I don't know if I have anything recorded in finished form right now. When I get a chance, in my spare time, haha, I'll post something.

The only thing about the ots being the same I just happened to realize is that it would be 2 rather than 3 layered voices when it applies.

#272433 - 10/12/09 11:50 PM Re: Sound quality of S910 vs Tyros 2
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Scott,

The PSR-S910 sounds more like the Tyros2 than the T3 (only natural, I guess).

I was one who liked the Tyros2's sound better than the Tyros3...it sounds "sweeter" to me.

The S910 has the registration buttons in the middle (so did the S900).

I'm very pleased with the S910...as Beaky says, it plays all the Tyros2 styles, and even some of the T3 styles (with a bit of tweaking).

See now, this kind of info is what's got me a thinkin' Especially considering who the poster is.

I like the idea of it being very slightly smaller. Doesn't seem like much though and appears I'd still have to use the same size case. A little lighter is good. Speakers could be nice. Key feel doesn't make much difference to me. Only thing is the sonic quality close enough to my personal likes and would I be ok with only 2 layered voices and no after touch? The layering of voices and after touch can make a major difference on effect and inflection, which to me, can make or break the final outcome.

T3, clarinet, jazz guitar, guitar comping voicing, and maybe cocktail piano sound appealing.

Is there anyplace where there is a good recording of this new guitar voicing comping that I can hear?

The other thing that has crossed my mind as I get another year older past the age of 21 How feasible is it to pay that much money for a keyboard and drag it around etc. I think they are getting a little goofy in their thinking for pricing.

The other thing is, at a typical gig, with the sound bouncing around the room, being soaked up by the crowd etc, how much can any little difference in sound be perceived by anyone, assuming the sounds are at least getting kind of close?

Just thinking out loud

#272434 - 10/13/09 05:54 AM Re: Sound quality of S910 vs Tyros 2
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Scott,

As you mentioned, in your initial post, the sound of an instrument, to each individual, is subjective, hence the different camps for Roland, Korg, Casio etc.

As Diki has mentioned, there is a lot more to the Tyros3(and Tyros2) than just higher quality sounds...3 voice layering and aftertouch being only two.

My favorite sounding arranger was the PSR-8000; I owned a pair of them, both kept up to the latest OS systems, but the lack of four variation styles finally made me switch to a PSR-2000 (of which I bought two) and from then on, I used MOTL arrangers for gigging and personal use.

Using an MOTL arranger isn't the burden it used to be, and it also has many advantages, only one of them being cost.

Certainly, the S910 does not approach the overall quality of a Tyros2/3, but it is close enough for my needs, and, again, I like the simplicity of not needing (or worrying about) an internal HD, and of course, having the built in speakers is very convenient.

I went with the S910, rather than buy my sample S900, to stay current with the new style format...all my old styles work fine, and I've still not explored the multitude I have I have on my laptop....plus, I'll be using the new guitar format to edit my present most used styles.

I don't miss three voice layering, I actually prefer the lighter action, and the sound is very, very good...especially if I make sure I use high quality speakers in stereo.

Ultimately, you must A/B the two instruments in question for yourself.

When I went from the PSR-8000 to the 2K it was an adjustment, but the benefits outweighed any negatives, in my case.

Yours may be different.

Good luck, my friend.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-13-2009).]

#272435 - 10/13/09 12:49 PM Re: Sound quality of S910 vs Tyros 2
Dnj Offline

All this talk Scott doesn't mean anything...this is a case of YOU have to go out and play these keyboards & PERSONALY listen for yourself to determine whats right for you simple as that. You have been playing & selling KB's long enough to know what YOU need...the word subjective doesn't even begin to clarify how different each one of us perceives sound.....I personally wouldn't listen to anyone here or anywhere because in this game only YOU can be the Judge of the Court of NEEDS.... these newer arrangers are easily accessible with a little effort I'm sure you can find them both and make an educated decision after playing them. Have fun & good luck.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online