SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272214 - 09/28/09 08:35 AM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Dnj Offline

[img]http://tinyurl.com/47szhr[/img]

You can see "WERSI" faded behind the sign

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-28-2009).]

#272215 - 09/28/09 12:08 PM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Presumably, you need to be liquored up before you start to believe that everything you have heard involving the Wersi styles really IS better than a MODERN arranger...

#272216 - 09/28/09 07:53 PM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Dnj Offline

Why are you so down on Wersi units....is it the sound, or the price that makes you feel that way? Have you actually played one of the new Wersi models yet?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-28-2009).]

#272217 - 09/29/09 12:30 AM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Diki Offline

I've listened to them all. Basically, the only unbiased way to do it...

I truly believe that, if you can't record something on a keyboard that sounds great played back at home (don't forget, I'm using a MOTU 24bit converter to play back computer audio through a pair of Mackie HR824's), chances are. it's not going to magically turn into something great when you get it home. Just a slightly bit better fidelity disappointment the original demos were.

I've heard the factory styles demos. I've heard the factory T2 demos (still waiting for an extensive set of T3 ones to be put up, hint, hint... ), I've heard the PA2Xpro demos, and Ketron too (to be honest, Roland don't have a lot of straight style demos).

Wersi doesn't impress me in the slightest. I am wondering what anyone is listening to that IS impressing them..? Stock Wersi sh*t, give it your best shot...

Wersi make really great organs. No argument (other than, I like the Hammond sound over the Wersi any day ) at all. Trouble is, organists keep reviewing their arrangers. I don't see anyone posting ANY great Wersi music they have done here.... Now, are they all shy, do they all suck, or is it bloody impossible to make something as good as the 'average' player does on a T3/PA2xpro, etc.? Me, I'm inclined to believe the latter...

Until proved otherwise.

#272218 - 09/29/09 06:08 AM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
I view the current Wersi lineup as being a direct descendant of the Theater (Theatre?) Organ in concept.

Thus, comparing it to auto-accompaniment keyboards that are all about the emulation of other real instruments via wav file samples and the like may not be exactly a fair thing to do. There exists a large base of those who like the Theater Organ sound and concept. Wersi seems to lean in that direction.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#272219 - 09/29/09 08:09 AM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
I view the current Wersi lineup as being a direct descendant of the Theater (Theatre?) Organ in concept.

Thus, comparing it to auto-accompaniment keyboards that are all about the emulation of other real instruments via wav file samples and the like may not be exactly a fair thing to do. There exists a large base of those who like the Theater Organ sound and concept. Wersi seems to lean in that direction.

--Mac

Surely you jest. The Wersi has a huge assortment (1 Gig+) of sounds called Long Waves that are comprised of many multi samples that are intended to sound like the real instrument and do. Organ sounds are but one facet of the Wersi. You want even more realistic sounds than any embedded arranger has, simply load a VSTi into the Wersi and then you'll have sounds so realistic the only thing stopping you from sounding like the real instrument are the nuances and phrasing you'd need to understand about each instrument to try and fool even the best musician. Easier said than done for sure.

I see once again the Wersi bashers are out and yet I'm certain most have never seen a Wersi in person let alone played one. What a great way to base an opinion on an instrument by never playing it.

#272220 - 09/29/09 08:35 AM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Dnj Offline

Ensnareyou great post and thank you for the info on the Wersi...it seems to be a LOVE or HATE it for some reason...but as you say without actually playing one how would anyone know what it can do?....I myself have many time bought units without playing them first or have listened to someone who thought it was the best thing available and have kicked myself for it too leading to a quick sell off..

#272221 - 09/29/09 12:18 PM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
Diki Offline

I am positive that Ensnareyou is quite capable of deciding whether he likes an arranger by listening to it over the internet. Let us not forget, all of our audiences get THEIR impression of what we play from listening to it, too!

As I have said, ad nauseam in the past, there isn't enough difference between a decent bitrate MP3 and a 44/16 .wav that would turn something that sounds like poo into something that doesn't. Hearing it in person merely gives you better fidelity poo!

Wersi owners, due to the almost impossibility of finding one to listen to, continually hide behind this flimsy 'excuse' to deflect well earned criticism of their arranger/organ. And next they will wax poetic about 'long waves' and VSTi's, yada yada yada...

Trouble is, I'm not saying a darn THING about the lead voices. I've been talking styles... Styles SO bad that the ability to play Yamaha styles is a necessary add-on. Upon which, it promptly drops all the Mega information from the Yamaha styles, the thing that makes them so realistic in the first place.

Then the very next thing the Wersi apologizers will say is that they don't use factory styles. Good gosh! How plebeian! THEN they will make flimsy excuses as to why they are unwilling to post their custom styles, and once again we are in the dark (because they drew the shades )...

How about, JUST ONCE, someone with a Wersi post something they have done BY THEMSELVES, using these mythical user styles that they CLAIM sound better than styles from the Big3....?

And let us judge for ourselves.

Of yeah, that's right... The mere act of recording it and posting it as an MP3 (use 256kbps, even) would completely DESTROY the sound so badly, it would turn into the pile of poo we know and love so well. You know what's weird? Whenever there IS a decent demo by Brett Wales, or any of the other top Wersi professional demonstrators, all of a sudden there's complete silence from the 'don't listen to MP3's, only playing it is good enough for an opinion' faction. A little consistency here would help!

Once again, I gotta repeat it (or the point will be conveniently ignored), this is all about the Wersi styles. Bill keeps posting them, and the rest of us gasp at how bad they are, then this pathetic 'you've got to play one' excuse keeps getting trotted out. You don't have to play a G70 to hear what it really sounds like (the factory and user demos sound basically EXACTLY what it sounds like, with just a hair of MP3 encoding to veil it SLIGHTLY). You don't have to play a T3 to know what it sounds like, you don't have to play a PA2Xpro to know what it sounds like. It sounds EXACTLY like the web demos, only SLIGHTLY better fidelity.

So, I know EXACTLY what a Wersi sounds like. It sounds just like what I heard, only SLIGHTLY better. And, I'm sorry, but that 'slightly' isn't enough to turn those lame styles into something that blows away a T3/PA2X/E80's styles.

RH sounds, sure, they are as good as you need them to be (and if they aren't, you can use VSTi). But the styles are poor, the Yamaha conversions are poor (relatively), the drums are SO eighties, it seems a shame to put a state of the art lead sound over an eighties style sound...

I don't HATE Wersi's. I don't hate anything But, I CAN tell when one thing SOUNDS better than another, and that's what I'm hearing here. And usually, when something sounds worse than something else, one expects it to COST LESS. Not three times as much...

#272222 - 09/29/09 01:42 PM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
I wasn't meaning to bash the Wersi at all.

Frankly I respect Theater Organists and what they do. But I tend to love most all styles and genres of music, as long as the player has taken the time to prove to the audience that they have a certain quest for the discipline that results in what we generally call good taste.

But I stand by what I tried to convey earlier in this thread, which is that I think the Wersi offerings are geared more towards the Theater Organ set than other auto-accompaniment keyboards out today seem to be. Didn't know there could be something inherently *wrong* about that...

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#272223 - 09/29/09 04:07 PM Re: Concert Photo's frome the Pakefield Keyboard Festival
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
You have heard demos of the new Roland Ateliers online and you find them not much different to your G70, however I can guarantee that if you heard them live you would find that there is a whole magnitude of difference between them. (The same goes for the PA1x and PA2x, which seems like small differences online, but there is a complete magnitude of difference when heard live)

Sorry to say but CD quality recordings don’t cut it with modern instruments, so MP3 has no chance.

Another point is that I record direct to a wav file then convert to MP3, whereas manufactures use multi thousand pound recording equipment with professional recording engineers, so have a much better chance of making it sound like it does live. (Apples & Oranges) This is the reason I say try it for yourself with your type of playing and music. (There are plenty of owners in Florida, just give Wersimusic a call who should be able to put you in touch with an owner within a reasonable distance)

As I have said many times before, coming from an organ background, styles are not my forte. (Also Brett and the like are pro’s, I’m not)

BTW the Megavoice information is not removed, as it is also used in OAA styles.

Regards

Bill

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online