Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#272031 - 09/29/09 10:11 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think that zuki hits the nail on the head when he says to look at the average crowd he gets. Thing is, you get a wedding call, or a show, or an outside gig, suddenly what works for a few elderly at a NH is stressed to the breaking point at even just a little bit louder

But I'm getting all confused now. First the Bose is gone, now the Podium's, and he's getting a pair of SRM150's (I have a pair of those too, but only for a nearfield stage monitor) and a sub.

So many Podium reviewers have commented on the good deep bass from the Podium 10's (within limits) and I can assure you, there is NO deep bass on an SRM150 [b]at all
. They roll off very steeply at 150Hz (and haven't all THAT much from about 200Hz down, really). Ideal for a monitor, but useless as a PA. You would need to use a sub with them all the time to get to the Podium's sound, I would imagine.

And the smallest Mackie sub is VERY heavy and WAY more than you need to balance a pair of hotspots (and a fair chunk of money). I honestly don't think you have thought this through, zuki.

If the Podium's are not blowing up all the time, I would have stuck with them, and just got a small sub for the occasional higher volume gig. But that's just me... all 'IMO' as usual [/B]

Diki-

Jim and I play dozens of the same venues. Mostly nursing homes/retirement communities. Where I think we differ (Jim, correct me if I'm wrong, please) is that I do 6-8 or more gigs a month in Animal Clubs, Banquet Halls, Outside, etc.

The traditional PA of two 15's up on poles through a powered box mixer worked great. The L1 works great as well while being substantially lighter and easier to work with for me. (Repeat-for me)

Like I said, there are different ways to go when picking out a PA. Fact of the matter is Jim works more than I do (I'll do 450 gigs this year) so clearly he's putting out a very good quality product, case closed.

For me, I never wanted to have a nursing home sound and a Club sound and a big hall sound, etc. I wanted to have the right sound that I hear in my head. I've paid the price for carrying in 15's and stuff all these years, but its also come back to me ten fold in terms of business.

This probably isn't an issue for Jim as I think he really concentrates on the nursing homes. Jim-Are you playing any clubs or dances at all?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-29-2009).]

#272032 - 09/29/09 10:21 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I sure wish you had told us about your intent before you went ahead and bought the Mackie's. We could have perhaps let you know what we thought before the money changed hands.

The thing is, have you looked at how big the SMALLEST Mackie sub is? http://www.mackie.com/products/speakers/index.html#portableactive

It is HUGE, expensive, VERY heavy and WAY more than you are ever going to need to balance a pair of SRM150's...

I am sorry, but I just don't see it.

#272033 - 09/30/09 09:36 AM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
zuki ... you're changing PA systems faster than I'm changing socks !!! ... ...

t.

#272034 - 09/30/09 01:24 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
zuki ... you're changing PA systems faster than I'm changing socks !!! ... ...

t.

Yeh, and they all stink too

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#272035 - 09/30/09 01:30 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Dnj Offline

Zuki just a question why aren't you doing more Weddings, Anniversaries, birthdays, and Dinner dances etc, etc,...& other big venues besides nursing homes in your area?.....Also if it's not you who is playing at these affairs as a one man band act?

#272036 - 09/30/09 01:35 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I know it's going to be emotionally hard to back pedal, but I honestly think you are going to be unsatisfied until you have a pair of Compacts. Deep bass, plenty of volume, and stereo, but still MUCH lighter than anything else comparable, sonically.

The smallest Mackie sub weighs about 80 lbs. Two entire Compacts don't weigh that! You want small, light, powerful AND good sounding? Not much else out there that fills ALL those categories...

But it's going to cost you... sadly, I don't think you are going to be satisfied until you have it, though. You honestly should have got a second Compact on the 45 day return plan while you had the first, then you would have had a baseline to compare the rest with.

Thing is, you took off a nice clean pair of socks (OK, just the one sock ) to try out all these stinky pairs. When all you needed to do was find the match to the sock you were already happy with...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online