SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272021 - 09/29/09 05:35 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Yep, the Bose is back and using the 8s in stereo for now. I'm awaiting the Roland product in November.

Not quite the wallet you have Donny to spring for Bosi

Sorry to hear that Zuki....the Bose C is an awesome unit it it's own right Mono or two in Stereo & worth every penny. Good luck .

#272022 - 09/29/09 06:15 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Strikes me that, for what you could sell the Podium's for (not everyone knows how cheap they are! Find someone not too savvy and you will probably get at least 100% of what you payed! ) and how much you will save by NOT buying the battery powered $600 Roland (which I can't see as being anywhere CLOSE to a Compact), you aren't really very far from having enough for that second Compact...

Diki, I know, as I kicked that around. But a major objective is to keep the load light. I want as little equip as possible to lug in and out multiple times per day. If you'd see the average crowds I have, you'd be taking in one speaker too I don't cater to beach babes with their dresses blowing up from the thump

I'm really hoping the Roland will be good. If not, back to drawing board or keep with the 8s until their death

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#272023 - 09/29/09 08:29 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I was kind of thinking that a pair of the Podium's (seeing as how you already have them) and a small powered sub (with the sub sucking out the lows before it hits your Podium's) might give you all the extra 'oomph' you are likely to need for the kind of venues you might get. I am definitely skeptical at how much pure bottom the 10" Podium's can put out when would up. Too many reports of overheating and the like for me to trust them at higher volumes (like you might get at the odd wedding, etc.).

Perhaps something like the Logitech powered sub would be sufficient to just give a BIT more bottom without stressing the Podium's power amps and 10" speakers?

#272024 - 09/29/09 08:39 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Dnj Offline

There is no need for an extra Powered sub for most Nursing home gigs IMO who want to carry more gear and hook up more wires for a quick one hour show?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-29-2009).]

#272025 - 09/29/09 09:30 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I was kind of thinking that a pair of the Podium's (seeing as how you already have them) and a small powered sub (with the sub sucking out the lows before it hits your Podium's) might give you all the extra 'oomph' you are likely to need for the kind of venues you might get. I am definitely skeptical at how much pure bottom the 10" Podium's can put out when would up. Too many reports of overheating and the like for me to trust them at higher volumes (like you might get at the odd wedding, etc.).

Perhaps something like the Logitech powered sub would be sufficient to just give a BIT more bottom without stressing the Podium's power amps and 10" speakers?

We're on the same page. I have the Podium 8s on eBay. I have this http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/ coming. I have thought about 2 of these and a Mackie sub for less price than a BosE. Just take in the 2 150s and keep the sub for larger stuff.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#272026 - 09/29/09 09:31 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think two 8's regardless of the stereo benefit don't effectively handle the output of the keyboards most of us are using. Jim's mentioned the stereo element but what about low end and overall power/clarity of signal? He's playing a great board - but how is the low end getting processed accurately?

I tried 2 yamaha 10's several years ago and I couldn't get away from them fast enough. I moved to 15's then the L1. The difference from the 10's to the 15's was pretty substantial, I thought...

I think you'd be better served Jim by moving up to at least a ten or a twelve if the make it. The Roland product, I don't think will be the answer...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#272027 - 09/29/09 09:44 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I think two 8's regardless of the stereo benefit don't effectively handle the output of the keyboards most of us are using. Jim's mentioned the stereo element but what about low end and overall power/clarity of signal? He's playing a great board - but how is the low end getting processed accurately?

I tried 2 yamaha 10's several years ago and I couldn't get away from them fast enough. I moved to 15's then the L1. The difference from the 10's to the 15's was pretty substantial, I thought...

I think you'd be better served Jim by moving up to at least a ten or a twelve if the make it. The Roland product, I don't think will be the answer...

Hi Bill,

I just cannot understand the need for large speakers in the gigs I play, unless I'm missing something on the overall balance the larger stuff will produce. Perhaps I'm not hearing myself as my audience is and think the 8s are bottom enough for the venue. I am not a big bass fan and really tone it down when I arrange stuff. I had the Mackie 450s for several months and digressed to the small stuff with no compromise in customer satisfaction (as far as I know, that is).

These days, I'm now seeking more quality and clarity than anything else. That's why I'm trying the Mackie approach again and also the Roland digital stereo thingy.....

We should get together and listen to each other. I'd love to hear you with your Bose - a treat it would be.

#272028 - 09/29/09 09:50 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that zuki hits the nail on the head when he says to look at the average crowd he gets. Thing is, you get a wedding call, or a show, or an outside gig, suddenly what works for a few elderly at a NH is stressed to the breaking point at even just a little bit louder

But I'm getting all confused now. First the Bose is gone, now the Podium's, and he's getting a pair of SRM150's (I have a pair of those too, but only for a nearfield stage monitor) and a sub.

So many Podium reviewers have commented on the good deep bass from the Podium 10's (within limits) and I can assure you, there is NO deep bass on an SRM150 at all. They roll off very steeply at 150Hz (and haven't all THAT much from about 200Hz down, really). Ideal for a monitor, but useless as a PA. You would need to use a sub with them all the time to get to the Podium's sound, I would imagine.

And the smallest Mackie sub is VERY heavy and WAY more than you need to balance a pair of hotspots (and a fair chunk of money). I honestly don't think you have thought this through, zuki.

If the Podium's are not blowing up all the time, I would have stuck with them, and just got a small sub for the occasional higher volume gig. But that's just me... all 'IMO' as usual

#272029 - 09/29/09 09:56 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Hi Bill,

I just cannot understand the need for large speakers in the gigs I play, unless I'm missing something on the overall balance the larger stuff will produce. Perhaps I'm not hearing myself as my audience is and think the 8s are bottom enough for the venue. I am not a big bass fan and really tone it down when I arrange stuff. I had the Mackie 450s for several months and digressed to the small stuff with no compromise in customer satisfaction (as far as I know, that is).

These days, I'm now seeking more quality and clarity than anything else. That's why I'm trying the Mackie approach again and also the Roland digital stereo thingy.....

We should get together and listen to each other. I'd love to hear you with your Bose - a treat it would be.

Well, I think quality isn't really related to size, per se. Clarity, as I understand it is certainly effected by the size of the speaker and the frequencies of whatever you're running through it. An 8" speaker doesn't process a full spectrum of sounds as well as a 10" does. The 2 extra inches enhances the sound output. A 12" and a 15" do it even better. By better I mean easier, its less of a strain on the speaker, which produces a clearer sound.

The other thing that really hasn't been touched on in this discussion very much is individual styles and presentations. I'm going to take a guess that I'm significantly louder than you are. Louder isn't necessarily better, its just what works for me. I've asked AD's since I got the Bose last Xmas if I should turn down and they tell me no. In fact, they seem to really like it and my overall sound.

Those Mackies are pretty good monitors. Two of them and a sub may do the trick for you. There's more than one way to skin this cat and in the end, whatever you're pleased with is the way to go.

Yes, for the umpteenth time for both of us, we really should get together. My schedule's always up...let me know what's good for you.

How's your website coming along?

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#272030 - 09/29/09 10:05 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

I don't think you can think things through until you try stuff. It goes back to what you perceive as the best sound for YOU. I like the Podium 8s (better than the 10s), but I really want quality now. I think the 8s are a bit hollow, else I'd have kept them. Maybe the 150s (I basically traded even for - remember my blown 10s) and a small Mackie sub. The Roland may surprise me and some others' here too.

As much as Bose gets its praise, I could never play with that PA board as a mono unit and never would spring for 2.

Hell, I even considered Cass' cubes he's now selling..............

I'm confused but having fun and so is my audience.

$200 or so is all the experimenting has cost me.

Eventually I'll get it. I sure as hell am keeping the PA800 I got that one right, but not on the 1st try.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online