SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#272011 - 09/25/09 05:56 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Dnj Offline

I dont see how one small cabnet with small speakers SO CLOSE TOGETHER can provide a good stereo image w/ seperation at all.....lets not forget the Motion amp debacle...I bought one and quickly sould it.

#272012 - 09/26/09 03:32 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I dont see how one small cabnet with small speakers SO CLOSE TOGETHER can provide a good stereo image w/ seperation at all.....lets not forget the Motion amp debacle...I bought one and quickly sould it.

What didn't you like about the Motion amp? I'm thinking this is more a digital PA rather than a boxy sounding instrument amp.

I don't care if the speakers are close, as long as they have a true stereo field to hear all the instruments. If it comes in one box, all the better. In fact I think I'd have a better chance of everyone being in the stereo field.

Anyway, maybe I'm dreaming, but will definitely try it out when released in November.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#272013 - 09/26/09 03:48 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I wouldn't overlook the Traynor K4. It's stereo, powerful and, if required, you can hang two podiums 802's on each side, which is how I use it. It is a little heavy but makes up for that in sound quality and the versatility of having stereo in a single cabinet. IOW, it's a very nice keyboard amp if it fits your mission.

chas

#272014 - 09/26/09 04:02 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas, I thought the Traynor K4 worked great with keyboards, like Stage Piano, and organ, like Nord C1 or Hammond XK1...it is more of a stage amp for someone playing in a combo.

I thought it was less than great on an arranger...two powered cabinets are far better for stereo.JMO.

#272015 - 09/26/09 04:55 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You're probably right, Ian, 'cause that's the only way I use it. However, I have used it in my sudio (which is 16' x 24' without much acoustical treatment) with SonicCell drums (played from usb drive) and piano played from lower manual of C1, bass from C1 with Pk7a pedals, and it sounded pretty good to me (with and without the Podiums). Of course I couldn't really crank them up in that small of a space but I have at the club (with just the C1) and it really kicks butt.

chas

#272016 - 09/26/09 05:22 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd say the K4 would work well in a small(er) space, and you were fairly close to it...I do know that it sounded excellent on the XK-1 and Nord C1...the Leslie sim was very well taken care of, and it had a nice spacious effect.

I tried an S900 and a Tyros3 through it, and again, it sounded pretty good up close, but the further away you got, the stereo spread seemed to get lost, and the highs just didn't get thrown that far...I'd say the speakers' focal point is rather short, probably meant as a keyboard monitor for some one on stage using a stereo digital piano or organ.

Traynor make very durable stuff...I had a K-100 for awhile, and it weighed about as much as the K4 (and awkward to carry), and was mono, but it was bulletproof...and very loud...it had a horn and a 15"...used it for about 10 years, and never had a problem.

The best sound I've ever had so far, was the two Bose L1's in stereo...that was awesome, although very expensive...still, you only buy a good PA system once, unlike keyboards and arrangers.

The Hammond XK-1 sounded pretty wild through it too, and although the Nord C1 wasn't available at the time to try, I'm sure it would have sounded just as good...actually, I like the Nord's Leslie sim better...they really have it nailed. Not sure if the pedal tones would be as robust through the Bose...you really need a 15" speaker for those, as on a real Leslie 147.

To me, arrangers just sound better through two cabinets.

#272017 - 09/27/09 02:11 AM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:

These things are primarily designed as stage keyboard monitors (it's why they have outs ). The PA is what provides the stereo separation (if they have a stereo PA).

While there are a lot of OMB's using these kinds of things as main speakers (combo amps), it's not what they are designed for. Sonicly, most of them are designed to cut through a busy and loud (think REAL drummer, and despair!) stage mix, not to sound flat and transparent like a PA should.

I have yet to hear the Traynors, but every other stage combo I have ever played sucks compared to a decent self powered PA speaker IF you are using it as a PA...

BTW, the separation on a REAL Leslie is only a couple of feet, tops.. Doesn't stop it from filling a room...

#272018 - 09/29/09 07:48 AM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Dnj Offline

So Zuki.....did you end up sending back the Bose compact in lieu of using two Podiums in stereo? or?...

#272019 - 09/29/09 11:33 AM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
zuki Offline

Quote:
So Zuki.....did you end up sending back the Bose compact in lieu of using two Podiums in stereo? or?...

Yep, the Bose is back and using the 8s in stereo for now. I'm awaiting the Roland product in November.

Not quite the wallet you have Donny to spring for Bosi

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#272020 - 09/29/09 01:10 PM Re: A/B Podium 8s vs Bose Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Strikes me that, for what you could sell the Podium's for (not everyone knows how cheap they are! Find someone not too savvy and you will probably get at least 100% of what you payed! ) and how much you will save by NOT buying the battery powered $600 Roland (which I can't see as being anywhere CLOSE to a Compact), you aren't really very far from having enough for that second Compact...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online