SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271974 - 09/25/09 04:59 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My shipment to Los Angeles won't be here until Wednesday. Unfortunately, Yamaha used to ship everything from Buena Park, Ca. and so I got everything earlier than the east coast guys but not anymore. Everything comes shipped out of Chicago now.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#271975 - 09/25/09 05:17 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
From what I've seen so far I'm not sold on the S910 that would make me upgrade from my S900 "Cha Ching" machine at this time..............not enough change YET but hoping down the road things will get much better feature & navigation wise on the Yamaha arranger TOTL/MOTL units. Everything else out there that I've tried so far doesn't fit MY needs. I've become very patient

Mind elaborating on what your needs are?

#271976 - 09/25/09 05:52 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
I will be receiving mine on Tuesday. Will post opionions as soon as possible.

Beakybird

Did you buy two units, one for back up?

#271977 - 09/25/09 06:31 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Beakybird Offline

Yes, I purchased two. That way the keyboard that I practice on at home is the same as the one that I gig with.

Beakybird

#271978 - 09/25/09 06:37 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Yes, I purchased two. That way the keyboard that I practice on at home is the same as the one that I gig with.

Beakybird

Great!! good move.....good luck Larry give em hell out there!

#271979 - 09/25/09 07:49 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I spent about 2 hrs playing and demoing the 910 at Alto Music tonight. Maybe it's because of the pre- release hype or maybe it's because I'm really diggin my Korg Pa 500 or maybe it's because I'm just tired of Yamaha ( I've owned 6 Yammie arrangers over the years), but I was disappointed. I had them hold the board for me, fully intending to take it home, but in the end I decided against buying it. It does sound fantastic - but two things that left me wanting were the keybed - even less key travel than my Pa500. Also it seems that there were too few styles - often the last page of each style genre contained only one style with the rest of that page left with empty blanks. You'd think yamaha could afford to at least fill a style page completely - especially since those empty spaces can't be filled by users.

The voice selection at first seems limited too - that is until I noticed voices that I was expecting to find were moved to the "Legacy" category.

There are some very cool new demo songs that really showcase the capability of this board and provide the WOW factor - the speaker system is powerful.

So I came home tonight without my highly- anticipated new S910...sorta feeling a bit of a letdown, but also confident I made the right decision ... maybe I'll get that new Pentax Kx digital SLR instead.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#271980 - 09/25/09 10:14 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Great!! good move.....good luck Larry give em hell out there!

Thanks! I better give them hell. Business has been down in this neck of the woods - partly because of the time I had been spending songwriting, vocalizing, and recording. I'm making a lot of calls these days lining up shows for 2010.

Tim, everyone has different tastes. It is a shame that Yamaha didn't include more styles. At www.yamahamusicsoft.com there are some great Premium styles for the T2. These will sound great on the S910. Sure, they're $6.95 each, but you can choose which ones you want (unlike the onboard styles).

Beakybird

#271981 - 09/26/09 08:44 AM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
One of the strengths of Yamaha arrangers is the massive number of styles available for free, and the ease of auditioning them via USB drive.
You can find thousands at Psrtutorial.com
DonM

#271982 - 09/26/09 09:35 AM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Well, I'm having 2nd thots about buying or not buying the 910. There's lots to like about it. The key feel did put me off, but I just didn't feel like dropping the $$ last night for another board when I just bought the PA500 last month.

My feelings are really mixed right now. My thinking all along was how cool it would be to have both boards to complement each other. Now my fear is I'll prefer the one over the other and wish I hadn't bought both.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled little kid, never satisfied with the toys I have. (Ouch-did I say that?)

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#271983 - 09/26/09 01:31 PM Re: The Yamaha PSR-S910 has landed
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
Well, I'm having 2nd thots about buying or not buying the 910. There's lots to like about it. The key feel did put me off, but I just didn't feel like dropping the $$ last night for another board when I just bought the PA500 last month.

My feelings are really mixed right now. My thinking all along was how cool it would be to have both boards to complement each other. Now my fear is I'll prefer the one over the other and wish I hadn't bought both.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled little kid, never satisfied with the toys I have. (Ouch-did I say that?)

Tim, you are not alone!!!

I have Korg Pa2xpro, that is my go to board, I really like it's live play features, ( lots of vertical sliders you can adjust on the fly great vocal harmonizer). But I also like Yamaha boards, Although I don't take both to gigs as a rule. Sometimes the Yamaha fits better for a particular gig.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online