SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#271848 - 09/23/09 01:12 PM It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Dnj Offline

It's tough out there and getting tougher.
So, what have you been doing to survive?

If you have a success story, please feel free to share it with the group. Whether it be adding deejaying/karaoke to your services or new equipment to spice up your entertainment act, tell us about it.

What have you done in the last year that has made your business more profitable?

Have you touched on the kid party/school live music market.

What other music/entertainment venues are there out there? Teaching? Balloon sculpture? Face painting? Singing telegrams? Magic? etc, etc, ....I would love to hear your thoughts on this....

#271849 - 09/23/09 02:00 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
So far I'm holding my own. The nursing home circuit has remained pretty much the same. I thought I might be affected on Assisted Living and independent side, but all of my regulars have reuped for next year. What I am noticing though is it is taking longer to get paid. I now have to spend time in the morning chasing down my money. And nothing is handled locally, my checks come from all over the country.

My church so far is ok. Other churches have had staff cuts but we haven't. I don't know how much longer that will be as we have a new pastor that a lot of people are not happy with so they are going elsewhere. Church counts for about half of my income. If I got laid off I would immediately put an ad in the Jewish Times stating that I was available for brunches. They have been calling me for years to do brunches and I never can because of church. I'd also go after the private party circuit again. I had some really good ones this summer, but I haven't gone after that market in the last few years.

I teach a course at the local community college. I could up the antee there as well. Like I said, so far, I'm as busy as ever. What's going on with you Donny?

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

[This message has been edited by Songman55 (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271850 - 09/23/09 02:06 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm doing pretty good...I play demos and do clinics for Yamaha, do the occasional restaurant gig, do some studio work, sometimes fill in for other keyboardists in local bands, and buy and sell hard to find and/or rare keyboards (mainly, Yamaha).

I have a buddy who helps with the latter...he scans estate sales, and such, and then contacts me.

You do what you have to do, and do what you seem to like and know best...usually something that really interests you.

We only get one shot at this life, and those of us who have narrowly escaped the grim reaper know this all too well...there are no time outs, no recesses, and no replays...may as well try to do what you love.

I find the years sure seem shorter after I passed 55 (I'm now 60)...is it just me?

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271851 - 09/23/09 04:24 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
2009 will be my busiest year ever in terms of both number of gigs and average return per gig. I am turning work away at least 3-4 times a month. Next year should be similar to this one.

One difference is I've cut back the number of Club/ lounge gigs I took this year and that's worked out great. I'm busier than ever, I'll make more money than ever and I've had more Saturday nights off than ever before.

What else am I doing different? Other than adding the Bose last Xmas, artistically nothing has changed. I still add new song material at the rate I always have, which is about 1 song per week. I've continued to work hard at stimulating the audiences as opposed to just playing for them. I hear a lot about my energy from clients. They say there's a buzz when I'm on the schedule-I don't know if they're exaggerating but that's what I hear often.

This is the greatest job I've ever had or likely ever will. Its a treat to get to do what I do every day. I'm excited to go to work and it shows, I guess.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-23-2009).]

#271852 - 09/23/09 07:39 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Bill,

You're right. This is the best time of our lives. I'm turning down work right and left and I'm enjoying the hell out of what I'm doing. On the right track.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#271853 - 09/24/09 08:50 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Turning down work, but that's because recovery from an injury is taking longer than I thought. Am limited to arranger work right now...no upright or electric bass...no guitar...no vibes...no B-3 or piano.

That really sucks, but I'm working on it.
Luckily, my day work for international manufacturers is relatively steady.

Russ

#271854 - 09/24/09 02:42 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Last Thursday from 5PM to 8PM, I worked the last farmer's market in Grand Junction for the season. A big event for this town. They claim attendance in the thousands. I never get anyone to come up and offer me a gig but now and then someone will ask for a card. This time a married couple who manages one of the top 2 or 3 retirement - nursing centers came up, gave me their card, and asked me to contact them. They booked me for two gigs.
What is funny is when I first started back playing after a 25-year absence, I went to this place and they gave me the cold shoulder some years back. I am sure it was not this couple.
I have also started taking small brick gigs again. That is about all there is around here and they are far, few and in between.

#271855 - 09/24/09 02:56 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I simply feel that moving into areas where NO skill is needed (DJ-ing, for instance) merely opens you up to competition far in excess of what you get when doing something (like playing and singing) that VERY few people do well.

Just keep doing what others CAN'T, and you'll always be in demand.

#271856 - 09/25/09 08:26 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki is right. I do pretty well because I play jobs nobody else wants. A lot are "background" jobs; usually light jazz where I'm playing "2nd fiddle" to a piece of grilled chicken.

Don't really have much competition, because nobody else really specializes in these kinds of gigs. Lots of folks in the nursing home market.

Russ

#271857 - 09/25/09 08:33 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I do pretty well because I play jobs nobody else wants. A lot are "background" jobs; usually light jazz where I'm playing "2nd fiddle" to a piece of grilled chicken.

Don't really have much competition, because nobody else really specializes in these kinds of gigs.

Russ

I can relate, quite well, to those words, Russ.

I do very well at restaurant gigs, and at a few of them, they include a free meal, of my choosing, at the end of my gig.

With my cooking being so bad that the flies chipped in to fix the hole in the screen door, I'm happy to get a nice dinner, or supper....no dishes to wash, either.

#271858 - 09/25/09 10:45 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

With my cooking being so bad that the flies chipped in to fix the hole in the screen door,

Ahhh, an old Rodney Dangerfield joke - love it

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#271859 - 09/25/09 10:48 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Ahhh, an old Rodney Dangerfield joke - love it

I still don't get no respect!

#271860 - 09/25/09 11:25 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Dnj Offline

I was gonna write a post but I see as always this thread is going down hill fast into 1,2, Cha, Cha, Cha, territory. Ahhhh whats the use? too bad, it's a great discussion topic. I'm off to the movies.

cya.

#271861 - 09/25/09 11:27 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Diki Offline

Do you want fries with that?

#271862 - 09/25/09 11:56 AM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Do you want fries with that?

You're playing in the wrong restaurants, Diki.

#271863 - 09/25/09 12:43 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Diki Offline

Fast cars, fast women, fast music, fast food...

I love 'em all!

#271864 - 09/25/09 12:53 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, the free food is a big bonus. I get fed every night at the finest restaurant in town. My size of my stomach is proof. Or is it in the pudding?
DonM

#271865 - 09/25/09 12:53 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

I love 'em all!

Yes, and when you're over 50, they will all take your breath away...literally.

Bring 'em on!

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-25-2009).]

#271866 - 09/25/09 01:25 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Ian, the free food is a big bonus. I get fed every night at the finest restaurant in town. My size of my stomach is proof. Or is it in the pudding?
DonM

Ah yes, restaurant food has it's detractions (or additions )

Having a free meal late at night is a swell bonus...literally.

There was a time a few years ago where I did two gigs every Sunday...I did a noon gig, and was fed breakfast before I started, and, partook of the fantastic dinner buffet afterwards, and then played a supper gig at around 5 o'clock...again I had a light lunch before I started, and another when finished at 8 o'clock.

All free. I was a bachelor at the time, so it was pure bliss.

Luckily, I didn't gain much weight, and I sure missed those tasty meals when I packed up and moved away to another province.

#271867 - 09/25/09 03:53 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This has been a crazy year for me. I'm turning down more work than anyone could imagine. I'm trying very hard to slow down, and it seems as if there is no one in my area to fill the gap. At least four, new, assisted living centers and three new retirement communities have opened, or are in the process of opening, withing 10 minutes drive time from my home. All have asked if I could perform for their grand openings, and if I could put them on my 2010 schedule. They must have picked up some stimulus money.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#271868 - 09/25/09 04:05 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Dnj Offline

Hey with all this turning down work ...
I guess by reading this everyones pockets are well filled and "Tough & Getting Tougher' doesn't exsist...keep up the great work & make it all while you can I say.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-25-2009).]

#271869 - 09/25/09 04:49 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:

I love 'em all!

...fast grave diggers!

#271870 - 09/25/09 04:54 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Diki Offline

They can take all the time they need... I won't be in any hurry!

#271871 - 09/26/09 05:16 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
One thing we've done is work harder on our Website.

We're now busy than we EVER have been, (although recently we've cancelled some gigs due to my Wife's Father passing away last Wednesday - she's MORE than upset as you might well imagine)

Anyway....

We have recently added a Video Blog (shot on an iPhone) to tell all our website visitors (new and regular) about our gigs, the kinds of music we're playing, and of course on the Gig Guide text itself, we mention how big the Dancefloor is (or isn't) and what kind of night it will be music wise. We also provide a Google Map for each and every venue.

I've been told for some months now (by audience members) what a great help this has been for them, and many have noted that other acts are not doing this kind of thing on their sites - in fact a couple don't even HAVE websites!

Go to www.chi-chi.com.au if you want to see how it all works.

If anyone is interested in nicking an idea or two (if you all don't do this kind of thing already on your own websites) feel free!

Peace.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#271872 - 09/26/09 06:42 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
PERPENDICULAR!!

#271873 - 09/26/09 07:53 PM Re: It's tough out there and getting tougher what have you been doing to survive?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks for the idea Hellboy. Ive got to work on developing a web site.
As for Donnys question; Im into my 10th year at an Italian restaurant, but my corporate accounts have almost dried up. Company picnics, luncheons, and marketing events etc. have been cut back drastically. This year a festival gig (actually it would have been today) that I would normally play was given to a DJ who charged about half of my usual fee. All in all, it has been a slow year. I dont do nursing homes, but after reading about the experiences and successes of the folks who do these gigs, I think should seriously consider NHs.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online